Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Phins replace Royals with Turk

Featured Replies

Turk has struggled the last couple of seasons, but still im glad they finally got rid Royals a**. was real happy when i got the email, here's the sun sentinels article though

 

Dolphins release Royals, sign veteran Turk

 

By KEVEN LERNER

Sun-Sentinel.com

Posted September 29 2003, 1:39 PM EDT

 

The Dolphins today released struggling punter Mark Royals and brought back veteran Matt Turk to replace him.

 

Turk, whose contract dispute before the 2002 season led the Dolphins to replace him with Royals, signed a one-year contract.

Turk, 35, had two solid seasons with the Dolphins, but he averaged only 41.0 yards per punt last season with the New York Jets, tying the career low he set in 2001 with the Dolphins. He also had a career-low 13 punts land inside the opponent's 20-yard line in 2002, and was released by the Jets in the offseason.

 

Royals, 38, had his second poor performance in three games last Sunday night during a 17-7 victory over the Bills. He shanked two punts in the opener against the Houston Texans and struggled against Buffalo, often being booed by the fans at Pro Player Stadium.

 

"You either get the job done or you don't," Royals said last week. "I got off to a poor start."

 

With the majority of his attempts lacking distance and hang time, the Dolphins entertained five punters last week, including Turk, for free-agent tryouts. Royals, a 15-year veteran, was tied for 27th in NFL rankings for gross punting average at 40.2 yards.

 

Turk originally joined the Dolphins in a trade with Washington on March 9, 2000 in exchange for a 2001 seventh-round draft choice. He had spent each of the first five years of his NFL career (1995-99) with the Redskins, and was voted to the Pro Bowl following the 1996-98 seasons. He amassed career-best gross averages of 45.1 in both 1996 and 1997, while putting together career-high net averages of 39.2 in each of those seasons as well.

 

The Dolphins also released center Joe Iorio off the practice squad and signed center Shawn Lynch to take his spot.? ?

 

? Email story

? Print story

 

Copyright ? 2003, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-roy...la-sports-front

i still think its better than what we had before

 

you laugh, but special teams can make or break you, look back at last years Patriots loss for example

Matt Turk = Best Tackler Ever

How about the kid who played for Colorado last year? What a leg! Is he a Free Agent? I know he was competing for a job in training Camp

How about the kid who played for Colorado last year? What a leg! Is he a Free Agent? I know he was competing for a job in training Camp

I think you've described 2 players. The player from Colorado is (I believe) Mark Mariscal, who is a free agent. The guy that was in Dolphins camp earlier was from Wisconsin- Kevin Stemke.

 

I'm a big Wisconsin Badgers FF fan, so I like to keep track of where the players go in the NFL. I was real disappointed Stemke didn't get a contract from the Dolphins- his pre-season stats were awesome. And then when the Dolphins try out punters, they don't bring him back. I don't understand why he's not punting in the NFL right now.

I remember one game, I think it was against the Jets, where Turk made a beautiful punt, then hauled a$$ down field and layed the returner out.

 

I've had a load of respect for him since then.

I remember one game, I think it was against the Jets, where Turk made a beautiful punt, then hauled a$$ down field and layed the returner out.

 

I've had a load of respect for him since then.

The beauty is, he has done that more than once :D

I think you've described 2 players. The player from Colorado is (I believe) Mark Mariscal, who is a free agent. The guy that was in Dolphins camp earlier was from Wisconsin- Kevin Stemke.

 

I'm a big Wisconsin Badgers FF fan, so I like to keep track of where the players go in the NFL. I was real disappointed Stemke didn't get a contract from the Dolphins- his pre-season stats were awesome. And then when the Dolphins try out punters, they don't bring him back. I don't understand why he's not punting in the NFL right now.

Saints camp not the Dolphins

I think you've described 2 players. The player from Colorado is (I believe) Mark Mariscal, who is a free agent. The guy that was in Dolphins camp earlier was from Wisconsin- Kevin Stemke.

 

I'm a big Wisconsin Badgers FF fan, so I like to keep track of where the players go in the NFL. I was real disappointed Stemke didn't get a contract from the Dolphins- his pre-season stats were awesome. And then when the Dolphins try out punters, they don't bring him back. I don't understand why he's not punting in the NFL right now.

Saints camp not the Dolphins Mariscal was in Saints camp? I know Stemke was in Miami.

I'm a big Wisconsin Badgers FF fan, so I like to keep track of where the players go in the NFL.

Isn't Chambers from Wisconsin? if he is i gotta thank them... :D

Isn't Chambers from Wisconsin? if he is i gotta thank them... :D

Yeah. He came into his own the last 2 years there with Bollinger at the helm. He's not as polished because the Badgers run the ball, like, 60% of the time, so he's a bit short on experience. I'm very happy for his success in the NFL, and I was a bit surprised he dropped in the draft. I had him going early 2nd round.

 

As for Fletcher....I don't know. I thought he'd be a good pro, height notwithstanding. Right now, I think he'd benefit from a change of scenery. He seems so mentally out of it now, I don't think he'll end up having much success in Miami.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.