August 14, 200620 yr The silence about the new stadium deal is killing me! There are rumors that "some" are trying to get the City of Miami back into the picture now that Mr. Arriola is out of the picture as city manager. Is this the reason why there hasn't been any further progress on the Hialeah Heights site deal? If anyone has any information, even if it is not confirmed....please share it with us.
August 14, 200620 yr To an extent I would agree they seem to want a shot at it again....but can the bridges be unburned? Can the County Manager trust the City to keep its word? There are projects that the City has messed up from the Orange Bowl renovation to Parrot Jungle. Should be interesting to keep tabs on...but don't expect anything unless the City is proactive in paying for expenses.
August 14, 200620 yr After some research....I discovered this article: http://capefish.blogspot.com/2006/08/miami...-on-parrot.html If the City of Miami is to jump back in this race....the City Commissioners need to reverse the damage Arriola not only did to Miami-Dade County, but also to the Marlins in previous negotiations. It should be VERY interesting. But Hialeah is the clear front-runner right now. It should be noted that County Manager Burgess' former deputy is now the Miami City Manager.
August 14, 200620 yr I pray this is true. I mean, a ballpark would be nice and all, but I'd almost rather see the status quo sort of limbo we're in right now than have to see the team commit to playing out in the boonies for the next 30 years.
August 15, 200620 yr I pray this is true. I mean, a ballpark would be nice and all, but I'd almost rather see the status quo sort of limbo we're in right now than have to see the team commit to playing out in the boonies for the next 30 years. Out in the boonies?? From other threads it looks to be about an extra 10 minte drive for almost every one that answered that thread. Driving to the OB??? That would be "out in the boonies" for most every one that answered that thread. Far longer drive, no real parking, and no real cost efficient way to make the roadways more fan friendly. No, the Hialeah site is the best deal going for everyone concerned. Plenty of room for parking and they are putting exit/entrance ramps on the turnpike extension for it. If the people from South Dade continue to say it is too far for them then let them do what they do now. Watch the games on TV while those of us from the "northern" counties that drive longer and farther now smile and wave to them from the new place.
August 15, 200620 yr Either sight is out in the boonies to those of us up in palm beach I wish they could get a spot on the water would be best overall, but the land prices there is sickening.
August 15, 200620 yr Either sight is out in the boonies to those of us up in palm beach I wish they could get a spot on the water would be best overall, but the land prices there is sickening. that is where you are wrong...the hialeah site is the best site for those in Palm Beach...cause it would be a shot down the turnpike or the sawgrass either way gets you to the new proposed park
August 16, 200620 yr Either sight is out in the boonies to those of us up in palm beach I wish they could get a spot on the water would be best overall, but the land prices there is sickening. that is where you are wrong...the hialeah site is the best site for those in Palm Beach...cause it would be a shot down the turnpike or the sawgrass either way gets you to the new proposed park I agree and I come from PBC. With all the other proposed sites over the years this is the one I like the best. Oh sure, having them right here in our county would have been great but it would have essentially shut out those in South Dade that rarely go now because they think it is too far. And Northern Dade and Southern Broward would come rarely. I think that would be unfair. We have gotten used to the fact it is a long drive both in mileage and time for us to go to the games. I don't see how another 10 minutes or so will really affect us all that much. I'm also going to talk myself into the attitude that once the new site opens and South Dade residents finally see they aren't going to get their way of having it in their back yard for their own personal convienance that they will let go of the "It's toooo faaaar" mantra and let their love of the game supercede their selfish behavior to actually start attending more games.
August 16, 200620 yr I pray this is true. I mean, a ballpark would be nice and all, but I'd almost rather see the status quo sort of limbo we're in right now than have to see the team commit to playing out in the boonies for the next 30 years. Out in the boonies?? From other threads it looks to be about an extra 10 minte drive for almost every one that answered that thread. Exactly. For almost everyone, it's a worse location than the one we have now. Driving to the OB??? That would be "out in the boonies" for most every one that answered that thread. er, no. That would be a much quicker drive for the vast majority of us in Dade. There's no traffic in that direction for anybody.
August 16, 200620 yr Out in the boonies?? From other threads it looks to be about an extra 10 minte drive for almost every one that answered that thread. Exactly. For almost everyone, it's a worse location than the one we have now. Driving to the OB??? That would be "out in the boonies" for most every one that answered that thread. er, no. That would be a much quicker drive for the vast majority of us in Dade. There's no traffic in that direction for anybody. So you are willing to give up on the Broward and Palm Beach fans that now driver farther and longer than Dade fans so the new ball park can be even closer to South Dade fans?????? We are willing to drive the extra 10 more minutes and you just want to complain that it is even further for you than it is now?????
August 17, 200620 yr will not be Hialeah. if not hialeah then where oh pshycic one in the thread by "capefish" Think Miami.
August 17, 200620 yr City of Miami - Los Three Amigos Mayor Manny Diaz City Manager Joe Arriola City Commissioner Winton
August 17, 200620 yr hialeah got punk'd lolz I wouldn't say that much. Hialeah still holds the lead. Miami still has to solve the land and cost gap issues.
August 17, 200620 yr Seems to me that if they are even looking at Miami (again), there must be grave concerns about Hialeah.....or they have already made the decision that Hialeah is out totally. The Miami option is possibly a last ditch effort to keep the team and they are headed to the Commish's office with their hats in their hands hoping for help. This scenario would also explain the reason that Marlins and/or MLB officials are still nosing around in San Antonio.
August 17, 200620 yr Seems to me that if they are even looking at Miami (again), there must be grave concerns about Hialeah.....or they have already made the decision that Hialeah is out totally. The Miami option is possibly a last ditch effort to keep the team and they are headed to the Commish's office with their hats in their hands hoping for help. This scenario would also explain the reason that Marlins and/or MLB officials are still nosing around in San Antonio. Hialeah is not out by any means. The City of Miami is going to try naturally to score the Marlins. However the Marlins are going to stop and listen because competition between Hialeah and Miami can only help the Marlins and Dade County.
August 17, 200620 yr yep exactly, basically it is a bidding war between hialiah and miami, partly because of pride and all. Either way the Fish win, and there is less then a .000001 chance of them leaving south florida right now
August 17, 200620 yr Seems to me that if they are even looking at Miami (again), there must be grave concerns about Hialeah.....or they have already made the decision that Hialeah is out totally. The Miami option is possibly a last ditch effort to keep the team and they are headed to the Commish's office with their hats in their hands hoping for help. This scenario would also explain the reason that Marlins and/or MLB officials are still nosing around in San Antonio. Hialeah is not out by any means. The City of Miami is going to try naturally to score the Marlins. However the Marlins are going to stop and listen because competition between Hialeah and Miami can only help the Marlins and Dade County. The county obviously would be better off with a downtown stadium rather than a stadium in the NW corner of the county because of the added economic impact for downtown and because downtown would be a more central location for those who pay for the stadium (what a concept!) but a downtown stadium is not happening because there's no land and even if there was the price would be astronomical.
August 18, 200620 yr yep exactly, basically it is a bidding war between hialiah and miami, partly because of pride and all. Either way the Fish win, and there is less then a .000001 chance of them leaving south florida right now Okay.......maybe I am not understanding things correctly....but it seems pretty difficult to have a bidding war when there is a funding gap.....how does that kind of bidding work? "hey Marlins! Move here! We have LESS of a funding gap than the other guys?" I'm sorry but that just sounds ludicrous to me. I anxiously await your explanation. FYI......Just 14 days till the Longhorns begin defense of their 2005 BCS National Championship! Hook 'Em!
August 18, 200620 yr yep exactly, basically it is a bidding war between hialiah and miami, partly because of pride and all. Either way the Fish win, and there is less then a .000001 chance of them leaving south florida right now Okay.......maybe I am not understanding things correctly....but it seems pretty difficult to have a bidding war when there is a funding gap.....how does that kind of bidding work? "hey Marlins! Move here! We have LESS of a funding gap than the other guys?" I'm sorry but that just sounds ludicrous to me. I anxiously await your explanation. FYI......Just 14 days till the Longhorns begin defense of their 2005 BCS National Championship! Hook 'Em! the marlins arent moving to texas...so why are you still here? :whistle ...and as fun as it was to watch USC lose the title game...no one cares anymore
August 18, 200620 yr yep exactly, basically it is a bidding war between hialiah and miami, partly because of pride and all. Either way the Fish win, and there is less then a .000001 chance of them leaving south florida right now Okay.......maybe I am not understanding things correctly....but it seems pretty difficult to have a bidding war when there is a funding gap.....how does that kind of bidding work? "hey Marlins! Move here! We have LESS of a funding gap than the other guys?" I'm sorry but that just sounds ludicrous to me. I anxiously await your explanation. FYI......Just 14 days till the Longhorns begin defense of their 2005 BCS National Championship! Hook 'Em! the marlins arent moving to texas...so why are you still here? :whistle ...and as fun as it was to watch USC lose the title game...no one cares anymore I am still here because I am a baseball fan, first and foremost. Still awaiting the answer to what I felt was a legitimate question. Do you treat all non Kool-Aid drinkers with the same disdain?
August 18, 200620 yr Okay.......maybe I am not understanding things correctly....but it seems pretty difficult to have a bidding war when there is a funding gap.....how does that kind of bidding work? "hey Marlins! Move here! We have LESS of a funding gap than the other guys?" I'm sorry but that just sounds ludicrous to me. I anxiously await your explanation. I believe I posted here (MB.com) some time ago that with Burgess' assistant moving into the City Manager's chair in Miami, the stage had been set to rekindle Miami's role in the Marlins' future. And everything I've heard indicates that is what has been going on for some time now. The reason, to answer your question, why Miami makes sense is because it was their departure from the package (county-city-marlins) that exploded the shortfall. Without being able to capture the Sports Franchise Tax component of the CDT that was to be Miami's share, a $30 million shortfall (which was fixable) quickly became $100 million. With Miami back in play with it comes all kinds of benefits. For all the fans in South (and the west coast of) Florida I still think the Hialeah Heights site is the best, but every bit of marketing research indicates opening the potential market south of Flagler will more than offset any losses in attendance from the north. The site I've heard most frequently is near MIA but with that comes problems with the FAA, Homeland Security and parking. On the plus side is access. I understand that there's another site controlled by Codina which could also work, and with it some accomodation to Hialeah for their efforts. Neither the (County) Mayor nor the county manager are going to leave Hialeah twisting in the wind for their efforts. There is also a prime downtown site that if true would be remarkable. But a real longshot. If the Fish wind up in the city, expect a name change to the Miami Marlins. And believe it or not that is the driving force behind the whole thing.
August 18, 200620 yr Based on our love for Crazy Joe Arriola I wish your timeline was correct regarding the city's new manager. Problem is, I have been hearing Miami since early May! See my post below: QUOTE(gobucks @ May 3 2006, 12:25 AM) I was told this afternoon that the city of miami is very much back in this but I could not say anything. (oops) I was going to keep my mouth shut but when I came on here and saw this thread I figured I was not blowing anything. I would not say this is rock solid but it is a second source for a rumor. I can not reveal my source. I will restate that it is just a rumor. It certainly is interesting to hear that the city of miami is back involved."
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.