No more Draft Pick comp

Fishfan79

Does anyone know when the current collective bargaining agreement terminates?

edit: see post further down in the thread as an addendum/correction to this one

I don't think it's this year or we would have heard alot more about the subject by now. I'm willing to be proved wrong but I thought it was 2008 and would think the existing procedures are still in play until superceded by the new agreement.

Another part of this may be a new way of handling arbitration and the ability of teams to trade draft picks, something that could in fact benefit the Fish.

Okay, I was wrong. I should have looked it up in the first place, shame on me.

The existing collective bargaining agreement in fact expires Dec 17th, 2006, so this change will impact the 2007 draft.

All I can say is WOW!!, that's a major change. For a team like the Cubs they could be losing out on any number of compensatory draft picks, while for the Marlins the effect will be minimal (in the short term).

Perhaps this is a way to slow the movement of players and make teams think twice about letting players go. Obviously this will have a big impact on the arbitration process because several of the arb deadlines are the triggers for getting (draft) compensation or not.

Okay, I was wrong. I should have looked it up in the first place, shame on me.

The existing collective bargaining agreement in fact expires Dec 17th, 2006, so this change will impact the 2007 draft.

All I can say is WOW!!, that's a major change. For a team like the Cubs they could be losing out on any number of compensatory draft picks, while for the Marlins the effect will be minimal (in the short term).

Perhaps this is a way to slow the movement of players and make teams think twice about letting players go. Obviously this will have a big impact on the arbitration process because several of the arb deadlines are the triggers for getting (draft) compensation or not.

A new CBA won't be reached by then, so it will be for the 2008 draft, not the 2007...

Of course, they said this when the last CBA was coming up too

I would hope baseball isn't this dumb. I really believe the comp (and teams with smaller budgets being smart enough to use it as capital) is part of why you've seen some more parity in baseball in recent time. Not only does this hurt the small market clubs in the sense they get nothing if they keep a star player and can't re-sign him, but it also hurts the Marlins of the world on the trade market. Teams aren't going to give a small market club as much in a July trade if they know your desperate because it's trade him now or lose him for nothing, whereas now even if you keep the guy, at least you get a couple comp picks that could really help the team out. I HATE this idea, but it sounds like a done deal :( .

Oh there's no questioning it hurts small market clubs.

But this is clearly a MLBPA demand that the owners were too scared of having a work stoppage over.

The pick reward clearly does affect a player's value.

Yeah this is a bigger deal than most people realize. Heck, the White Sox 2004 draft alone shows how important sandwich picks are. Gio Gonzalez was the key cog in the Jim Thome deal (doesn't happen without him), which led to us having him do what he's doing this year obviously, as well as opened CF for Brian Anderson, who after that HORRIBLE start, is hitting over .300 since mid June while playing gold glove defense at a fraction of what Rowand cost us. And another sandwich pick for us in that draft Tyler Lumsden was the main piece in the deal that got us Mike MacDougal, who has been nails out of the pen for us and is under our control through 2009 at a pretty low price.

Those 2 picks alone in that draft show how much sandwich picks can mean, and we are FAR from a small market team.

It also says in that article that Soriano is available because the Nationals don't want to lose him for nothing. Maybe we can get him now that we are trully in the race.

Soriano for Vargas straight up. :shifty

This doesnt sound good but if we get Soriano (not likely) the FO will have really outdone them selves big time

http://www.maurybrown.com/?p=333

this sorta crappy news for the marlins. Now in the future our FA's can walk and we get nothing for it. :(

I don't think so. Who do we have that is vital to the team to keep that is due FA after this year? It will change the way we handle things in the future tho. For instance, going into the final year or 2 of arbitration eligibility we will probably sign "cornerstone" players to long term contracts instead of the Marlins custom of a one year deal. We would be more willing to trade certain players sooner knowing we need to get something for them. Think of the cancer AJ caused in the club house last year and what may have been had he not been there after June or July. It was obvious we were not to going to keep him after the season and yet there he was, spreading his poison in the club house until the final week when he was told to go home and watch the rest of the season on TV.

And on the other hand we don't have to give up draft picks in order to take a FA. Or if we trade for a guy when we are in the heat of things that will be coming up on FA after that season.

Adjust and play on.

Oh there's no questioning it hurts small market clubs.

But this is clearly a MLBPA demand that the owners were too scared of having a work stoppage over.

The pick reward clearly does affect a player's value.

Nothing's really in it for MLB. You could even say the supplementary 1st round encourages high bonuses. MLBPA likely got it not because they were willing to strike over it, but because it was a reasonable concession to make.