Hermida's ankle injury diagnosed as stress fracture

Shaq-Man

Hermida's ankle injury diagnosed as stress fracture

BY CLARK SPENCER

cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

Doctors have pinpointed the cause of the lingering ankle soreness that has mostly confined right fielder Jeremy Hermida to the bench: a stress fracture that could cause him to miss extensive time.

The injury to Hermida's right ankle was diagnosed Monday after an MRI, and the outfielder is being required to wear a protective boot that extends to his knee, possibly for as long as a week.

''I'll see the doctor in five to seven days and see what he says then,'' said Hermida, who has not started since Aug. 30. 'But `indefinitely' would be the word to use.''

Hermida hopes to return sooner, perhaps in only a few days. But that seems unlikely, considering the injury hasn't improved much in the week he has remained out of the lineup.

''I tried to play through it, but it was getting to the point where it didn't feel comfortable,'' Hermida said. ``It's something that if I was going to keep playing, it was going to get worse. It hurt running, but it hurt swinging, too.''

It has been a frustrating season for Hermida, whom many projected to be a top candidate for NL Rookie of the Year honors. The outfielder missed a little more than a month earlier in the season with an injured hip flexor and has been slow to get on track, hitting .254 with just 27 RBI and being dropped in the order because of his continued lack of production.

''It's a special time right now and for something like this to happen at this time of the year, yeah, it's tough,'' Hermida said.

Joe Borchard on Wednesday made his fifth start in Hermida's absence. Cody Ross started the other two games Hermida missed.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ll/15456418.htm

Everything seems to be going right for the Marlins, but now they have a tough break to face. Jeremy Hermida finally has an answer to why his ankle injury has lingered for much of the season: a stress fracture. He could be done for the season, but is definitely out at least two weeks.

bp.com

this explains a lot for me.

Everything seems to be going right for the Marlins, but now they have a tough break to face. Jeremy Hermida finally has an answer to why his ankle injury has lingered for much of the season: a stress fracture. He could be done for the season, but is definitely out at least two weeks.

bp.com

this explains a lot for me.

This is from the Herald (9/3/06). His dissapointing play this season is not due to an ankle he injured in late August. This injury probably affected his play in late august but not before that.

Hermida said he injured his ankle area during the last homestand.

''It's been bothering me awhile,'' Hermida said. ``I played on it and played on it, and it just wasn't getting any better.

``It started hurting one day and I didn't think much of it, and the next day it was worse, and the next day it was real worse.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/15429595.htm