Maris family: Ryan Howard will be legit HR king if he passes 61

Accord

Maris clan: Howard would be worthy of record

By Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports

September 6, 2006

Dan Wetzel: Let's crown a real home run king

When Ryan Howard?s picture flashed across the television screen, Randy Maris turned to his younger brother Rich with a puzzled look.

?Who?s he?? Randy asked.

Rich had a quick answer: He might be the guy who breaks their father?s home run record.

Make no mistake, the Maris family still believes the true single-season home run record belongs to Roger Maris, who hit 61 in 1961, even though baseball?s record book lists the top two seasons for accused steroid users ? Barry Bonds, with 73 homers in 2001, and Mark McGwire, with 70 in 1998.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, if Howard ? the 6-foot-4, 252-pound Philadelphia Phillies first baseman with 53 home runs ? finishes the season with 62 or more, Maris? family will gladly cede the crown.

?In my mind, I feel Ryan Howard?s clean,? Rich Maris said Tuesday from his home in Gainesville, Fla. ?If baseball?s doing what they?re supposed to be doing and say they?re doing ? I feel bad for people bashing him. Right now people should be looking at baseball saying it?s cleaned up.?

Maris first learned of the 26-year-old Howard when he won the Home Run Derby at this year?s All-Star Game in Pittsburgh. He watched on TV as Howard hit his 45th home run Aug. 22 against the New York Mets. And all of a sudden, eight home runs later, Howard is conjuring up memories of the summer of ?98, when McGwire and Sammy Sosa dueled to break Maris? record and the Maris family watched and cheered.

?It?s kind of bittersweet,? said Maris, 42 and the fifth of six children. ?At the time, it was quite a feat. My dad?s record was obscure up until that point. No one really challenged it. A couple guys came close. We all thought [Ken] Griffey would be the one to do it. And then it was like, ?Boom.?

?We were in awe. It seemed to happen so fast. We were along for the ride like the rest of the country. Every time McGwire hit one, it was like, ?Wow, he did it again.? And now you just look at that and laugh.?

Every year, Maris said, McGwire?s foundation sends a check for $6,200 to the Roger Maris Celebrity Benefit Golf Tournament.

?Mark?s a really great guy,? Maris said. ?It?s too bad everything has happened.?

In front of a House committee in March 2005, McGwire, confronted on the subject of steroid use, said: ?I?m not here to discuss the past.? Sosa, who exceeded 61 home runs three times, said he did not use ?illegal performance-enhancing drugs.?

The scrutiny on Bonds has been even greater. In grand-jury testimony leaked to the San Francisco Chronicle, Bonds admitted to using steroids, though he said he did so unknowingly. The book ?Game of Shadows? alleges Bonds used a cocktail of performance-enhancing drugs after watching McGwire and Sosa hog the sport?s limelight.

?With the McGwire thing and the Bonds thing, everybody thought the record was so far out there, it?s not even attainable,? said Maris, who has not met Bonds. ?My dad?s pretty much an afterthought. All of a sudden, it?s like everyone has this new perspective, like the heck with McGwire and Bonds.?

Already there is a buzz surrounding Howard, the second-year player who won National League Rookie of the Year last season. Were Howard to approach 62 home runs, Maris said, the discussion of his father?s record ? itself once asterisked because he played in a 162-game season, and the previous record holder, Babe Ruth, played in 154 ? would surface again.

In North Dakota, where Maris was born, the state Senate passed a resolution in 2005 urging commissioner Bud Selig to restore Maris? home run record. Major League Baseball is not planning a celebration unless Howard exceeds Bonds? 73 home runs, not Maris? 61.

?It?s nice what the people in North Dakota are trying to do, and I think there?s a lot of sentiment,? said Maris, whose father died of cancer at 51 in 1985. ?In time, we feel baseball will do the right thing if Ryan Howard doesn?t break it and no one approaches it anymore.

?Of course I hope my dad?s record stands. I?m sure Hank Aaron isn?t going to be especially now rooting for someone to break his 755. You?ve got a record, you want to hold on to it.?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvFN...o&type=lgns

What exactly has McGwire tested positive for since then?

Andro was known while the season was going on.

He looked like an inflated lumberjack then, and anyone who's saying he's on steroids now is really trying my patience since most either overlooked it or knew but accepted at the time.

Plus, I'm not going to play the race card here, but I find it quite ironic that the fervor around the record came only after Barry passed it...there's no difference in Barry and McGwire other than that Barry's both better and black. Neither have failed drug tests, both got enourmosly large because of hard training and supplements (of which I'm willing to give both the benefit of the doubt) and both hit more than Roger Maris' 61.

That's my rant.

Big Mac always had power numbers and was pretty much the same size in Oakland as he was in St. Louis. That's why people didn't really think about it, plus steroid use by atheletes weren't coming into light like they were in the 00's.

Bonds went above and beyond what he had previously done and his body drastically transformed during the tail end of his career. Plus, most of the Bonds 'hate' stems from the fact that he is a jackass and a racist.

Until HGH is tested for I dont see how anyone could truly find these legit.

So why watch baseball at all if nothing can be considered legit?

I watch baseball cause I love baseball. To say that McGuire or Sosa who have never tested positive for steroids arent legit yet blindly say everyone is clean now cause we are testing is absurd. Baseball doesnt test for HGH. I guarantee you there are plenty of players who use HGH. Im not saying Howard is using HGH all Im saying is you cant just blanket this era as "clean".

I never said that. But I'm only going to get on the case of guys like Bonds, HGHiambi, and others who have circumstantial evidence against them. Just because some players abused, doesn't mean we have to group the rest in with them and have everyone looked under the same light.

Agreed, except I think McGwire and Sosa have to go into that group too. Their tetimony in front of congress made them as guilt as Bonds IMO.

As for the family, they are right but also attentiion whores.