Odell Thurman Arrested

PhxPhin

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/foot...n.ap/index.html

CINCINNATI (AP) -- CINCINNATI (AP) -- Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman was arrested early Monday on a drunken driving charge.

Thurman, already serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, registered 0.18 percent on a blood-alcohol test -- more than twice the legal limit of 0.08 percent, police said.

Police Capt. Dan Gerard said an officer working near a DUI checkpoint saw Thurman drive a sport utility vehicle across a double-yellow line and stopped him. Thurman was with two other Bengals players, but police declined to release their identities.

Thurman was taken to the checkpoint, being operated by police and the State Highway Patrol, and given a breath test, Gerard said. Thurman was released to a companion who was sober to drive him home, police said.

A court appearance was scheduled for Oct. 2, the day he was scheduled to return to the team.

If convicted, Thurman could get a tougher sentence because of the high blood-alcohol level, patrol Sgt. Jon Payer said. The average sentence for a first-time offender in Ohio is three days in jail or an alcohol-education program and a $500 fine, he said.

A second-round draft pick out of Georgia last year, Thurman led the Bengals in tackles and had five interceptions as a rookie, helping Cincinnati reach the playoffs with its first winning record since 1990.

The arrest is "certainly a concern since he recently was suspended, but this is an entirely new case," Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said Monday.

Thurman, who has one game left on his suspension, is the sixth Bengals' player arrested in the past year.

Cincinnati (3-0) defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 28-20 on Sunday to stay in a first-place tie with Baltimore (3-0) in the AFC North.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Thurman was picked up in the 3800 block of Kellogg Avenue in the East End after a Cincinnati Police officer saw him drive on the left side of a double yellow line. He was brought to a checkpoint operated by the Cincinnati Police and Ohio State Patrol and submitted to a breath test. Thurman blew a .17, which is considered a high-tier reading, said Officer Stephen Lawson of the Cincinnati Police Traffic Section. The .17 is more than double Ohio's legal blood-alcohol limit of .08.

Thurman was one of at least three players in a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe. The vehicle is owned by Bengals rookie wide receiver Reggie McNeal, who was a passenger, said a source at the scene. Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry was a passenger and threw up out a window of the vehicle. Neither McNeal nor Henry was cited or charged with any type of violation.

:lol

*shrugs*

Just cut him. But, that's not our style. Chris Henry should be punished, too, but just for being in that situation since he was riding shotty.

Oh, well. Just another character issue on a winning team. He was going to have to earn his starting spot back anyways.

Wasnt he your starting MLB last year?

*shrugs*

Just cut him. But, that's not our style. Chris Henry should be punished, too, but just for being in that situation since he was riding shotty.

Oh, well. Just another character issue on a winning team. He was going to have to earn his starting spot back anyways.

Wasnt he your starting MLB last year?

Was. He missed a drug test and the current roster of LBs do well without him (I mean, we beat you guys minus him). He was frequently out of position and, while making good plays occasionally, wasn't guaranteed his job back when he returned (he was going to have to earn it).

Bengals have so much depth we don't even need him. *shrugs*

Chris Henry is still awesome. Guy's so talented I can overlook him being an idiot until he's got a season long suspension.

What a surprise.

Explain?

I mean, the first offense was missing a drug test. He didn't fail it, he just missed it. Granted, he's stupid for doing so, but still...

from Bengals.com:

Expressing disappointment at the club's off-field issues, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said Monday he expects Odell Thurman to be suspended by the NFL for the rest of the season.

Thurman, already under a four-game suspension for drug problems, was arrested early Monday for driving while impaired.

Lewis wasted no time taking away Thurman's locker, and replacing him with guard Kyle Takavitz.

Lewis also said that center Rich Braham (knee) will be out some games beyond the Oct. 8 bye, and that safety Dexter Jackson (ankle) has a chance to return to play against his old mates in Tampa Bay Oct. 15. Also out for the Patriots game this Sunday is wide receiver Tab Perry (hip), but Lewis hopes to have a better handle on his situation after the bye.

Lewis also had encouraging news on running back Chris Perry (ankle), eligible to return to practice after the Tampa game. Lewis said it looks like Perry won't need to be shelved long before he gets into a game.

"It's disappointing for me, it's disappointing for our program, all of our fans," Lewis said of Thurman. "He just obviously doesn't understand the privilege and the right to play in the National Football League. He will be dealt with very severely."

According to Fox 19, Thurman, 23, failed a breathalyzer at a checkpoint on Kellogg Avenue in Cincinnati and had a "high-tier" reading that is described as at least .17, or twice the legal limit..

Since Thurman is currently under a four-game suspension, he is in stage two of the substance abuse program, according to the league's policy. It's not known what the requirements of his treatment program are but any violation moves him to stage three and eligible for a one-year suspension that Lewis referenced.

But since there has been only an arrest and not a decision by a court, any resolution may have to wait. But Lewis made it clear he's moving on beyond Thurman. At least for this season

"No," when asked if he had talked to Thurman or planned to talk to him.

http-~~-//www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5530

Wouldn't be surprised if he got cut to send a message.

Seems like a trend that these guys get in trouble more than once. Not surprising he's back in the news again.

What are you suggesting they do?

I mean, we got them for a reason. High risk, high reward. It's not called that for nothing. While these things bite us in the ass, we're also the leading team in the AFC North. We've got more depth than ever thanks to some of these doods. While it sucks and as a fan I can't do anything about it, it's not like I like the team any less or it has affected on the field play.

Personally I could care less what they do as long as they don't get in trouble. Do coke, smoke weed, whatever. Just don't get in trouble.

Oh, well, between a rock and a hard place. If this happened to anyone else on this board's team, they'd probably take the same stance.

Who cares.

This is why Ahmad Brooks, who will be a stud, was picked up in the Supp. Draft.

People always need to find a reason to hate. At UM, they are thugs, etc....

Now in Cincy, they are thugs, people hate them and ask "how can you root for them?", etc...

Bottom line is, they are winning. Despite all the "distractions", the Bengals have to be considered a top 2-3 team in the AFC. If I was a Bengals fan, I could care less about this. They just stompped down the Steelers without Carson even looking great. The rest of the NFL should be more concerned with playing the Bengals than the Bengals should be about their "legal troubles".

Who cares.

This is why Ahmad Brooks, who will be a stud, was picked up in the Supp. Draft.

People always need to find a reason to hate. At UM, they are thugs, etc....

Now in Cincy, they are thugs, people hate them and ask "how can you root for them?", etc...

Bottom line is, they are winning. Despite all the "distractions", the Bengals have to be considered a top 2-3 team in the AFC. If I was a Bengals fan, I could care less about this. They just stompped down the Steelers without Carson even looking great. The rest of the NFL should be more concerned with playing the Bengals than the Bengals should be about their "legal troubles".

Agreed.

Another thing... :shifty

I gotta' give Chris Henry some dap.

I mean, the dude didn't have a gun, wasn't caught with weed and WASN'T DRIVING! Dude's grown up in the last few weeks. He was legally high. :mischief

:confused

I mean, it sucks, but more because people are going to be focusing on a dood who wasn't even currently on the team and referring to him as a "starter," when we beat our hated rival.