Future of the Pen

So...Kensing & K-Mart will be absent in 07. Tank really should stay in the 8th Inning role, just cause it's so hard to fill. I'm guessing if we do no other FAs we'll do one for a closer. But what about the rest of it? Having Pinto either take Herges role, or at least split that work will work, but what else?

So what does everyone think are the prospects of maybe Mitre and Vargas taking up roles here? We'll need someone for the 7th inning at least, and maybe one to the long relief/spot start if there's an injury, and really, either of them would at least be better than Moehler to fill this role.

I'd be willing to part ways with Herges.

And put someone like Resop as closer.

FWIW, I'd stick Tank in the closer's role, consistency in key roles is key, and I see nothing holding us back from giving Tank his shot.

No, no, no.

He's too good of a pitcher for that. You don't make your best reliever the closer.

Then why won't the Yank make Rivera their 8th inning guy? :blink:

FWIW, I'd stick Tank in the closer's role, consistency in key roles is key, and I see nothing holding us back from giving Tank his shot.

No, no, no.

He's too good of a pitcher for that. You don't make your best reliever the closer.

That's foolish.

Overpaying for a closer is unnecessary (IE the A's formula) but holding your best reliever out of the closer's role is a mistake.

Are games saved in the 7th and 8th inning? Absolutely, but even the king of the replaceable closer theory, Billy Beane, still uses Street in the 9th, not the 7th.

No, no, no.

My guess is sarcasm by Penguino :thumbup

...I still think, given the experiences of the last few years, that it's a lot easier to find a good closer than it is to find a good set up guy. If we make Tank the closer, then we need a new setup guy...now if none of the young'ns fit into that role then you're looking at acquiring one from outside. Might as well just do that for a closer, since that has worked for us, and Tanks has done well in the 8th.

No, no, no.

My guess is sarcasm by Penguino :thumbup No you really don't make your best reliever a closer. Closer have a notoriously low life expectancy.

No, no, no.

That's foolish.

Overpaying for a closer is unnecessary (IE the A's formula) but holding your best reliever out of the closer's role is a mistake.

Are games saved in the 7th and 8th inning? Absolutely, but even the king of the replaceable closer theory, Billy Beane, still uses Street in the 9th, not the 7th.

The thing you're missing here is that Justin Duscherer and Kiki Calero are awesome and Street isn't needed to pitch in the 8th for long saves very often. Street would be pitching a lot more without their bullpen depth. I agree overpaying for a closer is foolish, but Tank shouldn't close. And especially because he is our # 1 lefty reliever and the only reliable arm we have going into next season. He needs to be preserving leads in the 7th/8th, not hanging out and watching Mitre, Resop, and whoever blowing games before it even gets to him. There are options out there. Beinfest will bring in 2-3 relievers and one of them will be a closer to mix with the kiddie corps.