Holy crap, I just got stopped by the police and almost sh*t my pants

Accord

I was just coming home from LA Fitness from swimming 1000m combat stroke in the pool in full cammies, well being that I own a Subaru STI it is very easy to be a total dumbass, and tonight I was exactly that, a complete dumbass. I was pretty pumped up from just setting a new personal record in the 1000m so on the way home I was listening to Quiet Riot and taking off fast at every stoplight being an idiot. Well apparently there was a police car behind me but I had no idea because the wing on my Subaru STI obstructed my view so I had no idea the car had a light bar and thus was a police car.

He turns his lights on and my heart just absolutely sunk, I was absolutely screwed, I thought that was it, my life was over, I was going to get a ticket for aggressive driving, driving 20 over the speedlimit, reckless driving, the works and this was going to ruin my chances of becoming a Marine. I thought I was f***ed and my life was over I was literally going to have a heart attack right then and there, I was absolutely TERRIFIED.

Being that I have a concealed weapons license, I was also carrying my Sig 229 DAK in my gym bag. I immediately put my blinker on and pulled over to the side of the road, rolled down all my windows, turned the car off and put the keys on the dashboard, and had both hands on the steering wheel. Two officers approached my car, one on each side and I was so nervous because I thought I was about to get a huge thousand dollar ticket and have to go to court and all sorts of stuff and my chances of becoming a Marine would be ruined. I immediately said "Sir, before anything I would just like to inform you that I have a concealed weapons license and I have a legally owned firearm in the side pocket of my gym bag in front of the passenger seat with a round in the chamber. Also sir, my wallet is also in the same pocket which has both my drivers license and concealed weapons license as well as my insurance card." He told me that's fine and he appreciates me being up front with him and will take that into consideration. He said to just to keep both hands on the steering wheel, I was VERY nervous because I thought my whole life was going to be messed up because of this whole thing and the fact that I WAS breaking the law with my driving, I was very very nervous and the officer goes "Why are you so nervous?" And I told him this is the first time I have ever been stopped in 5 years and am very very worried this is going to effect me being able to join the Marine Corps because I know that I was breaking the law and some of the offenses were pretty serious.

He said he pulled me over because of the fast out of the stop lights, being reckless, going 15mph over the speedlimit, and my exhaust was not legal, (I later explained that the exhaust came stock on the car from the factory and he said that's fine. )

He asked me for permission to take my gym bag back to his car and I said "Absolutely sir" and explained to him the exact location of my firearm and I told him that it was in a holster and there was one round in the chamber, I also explained the exact location of wallet, etc. and also told him to to be careful of the soaking wet cammies in the main compartment of the bag so he doesn't get wet. He told me that he's going back to his car now and I need to still keep both hands on the steering wheel and if I take them off he won't hesitate to drag me out of the car, I thought my life was over! I was FRIGHTENED! Since it was night time and I was right next to a big grassy field with all my windows open there were mosquito's and all sorts of bugs flying around in my car and biting my legs, face, arms, everything but I was absolutely scared shitless of what would happen if I took my hands off the steering wheel so I just sucked up the pain and the extreme itching and just kept thinking that this is good practice for when the sand fleas are biting the hell out of me at Parris Island, lol.

The other officer who stayed at the car with me started talking to me, he asked me why i'm 21 and waited so long to join the Marine Corps and I explained that I used to be 240 pounds and had to lose 80 pounds before I could join and he was really impressed. He told me that he just got out of the Coast Guard and he was in a Port Security Unit which is like a Coast Guard SWAT team and I thought that was awesome. He was a really cool guy and started telling me Coast Guard jokes, like the time when he was at the police academy and they had everyone who was prior military stand up and say their branch and they went down the list "Marine Corps!" "Army!" and then they finally got to him and he goes "Coast Guard!" and he said they gave him so much sh*t for it at the academy but it was all in good fun and I thought that was pretty funny. He was just telling me to keep my nose clean, etc. and i'll have the best time of my life, he goes "So do you have a girlfriend?" and I told him "not at the moment, sir!" and he told me once I put on that uniform it's like all the woman will just gravitate to me like i'm the worlds most powerful magnet and I won't be able to keep them off me, hahaha. I told him how i'm PT'ing everyday and doing lot's of things to prepare and all that and we just talked about PT and whatnot, he was a very very very cool guy.

Well the other officer who went back to the police car with my bag came walking back and says in a joking manner to the other officer "Hey Joe, weren't you in the Marines" and then the officer who I was talking to goes "Coast Guard, you jackass!" and we all laughed about it (all the while i'm getting bitten up by a thousand bugs, lol).

The other officer told me that he's going to let me off with just a warning...........

OH MY GOD I LITERALLY FELT LIKE I JUST WON THE LOTTERY!!! I couldn't believe it! I was so thankful! He said that he was just going to back to the car and verify that my CWL is valid and i'll be on my way! Oh my god! I was terrified out of my mind and thought my life was over because of this, I was breaking the law with my driving but I was up front about it and was honest about everything and was ready to accept full responsibility for my actions despite being absolutely frightened. I was more frightened than an 8 year old page in Mark Foley's office :lol . But seriously though, I was absolutely scared shitless of the consequences of what was going to happen to me because i'm a member on another forum with a lot of Marine recruits and every few weeks there's always some new recruit who posts about how he was stopped and has to go to court and will miss his ship date and has to drop out of the USMC delayed entry program and things were just really bad, and I thought that was going to happen to me and I was terrified, so when the officer informed me I was just going to receive a warning I felt like giving him a hug, lol.

He went back to the car and the officer who was in the Coast Guard and I talked some more, he was just wishing me good luck and things like that and he told me the next few years of my life are going to be brutal and I will be miserable as hell but 30 years from now i'll be able to look back at those times and be proud I went through them and i'll be part of a brotherhood that nothing can even compare to. I told him that I eventually want to go into some sort of law enforcement after the Marine Corps whether it's 4 years or 20 years from now and was just asking questions about that (these officers were with the Palm Beach County Sheriffs Office) and he told me that i'll basically be able to get hired on with any law enforcement agency in the state because they're very military friendly, so I thought that was pretty cool to hear.

After a few minutes the other officer came back to my car with my gym bag and he told me that he removed the magazine and locked back the slide and that put it back in the pocket of the bag where it originally was with the magazine next to it and he put the one round that was in the chamber back into the magazine. I thanked him and was very appreciative and explained to him how this is a huge wakeup call for me and that he will never see me again because I won't ever drive in such a stupid manner ever again, and he stopped me before I could say anything else and told me that he HOPES he see's me again once I graduate and become a Marine and that I should look him up and come see him once I do! I responded with a proud "yes sir!" and he stuck out his hand to shake my hand so I shook his hand and he goes "Hey, I thought I told you to keep both hands on the steering wheel!" and then we both laughed, lol. Really really nice guy!

I thanked him again and he wished me good luck and then goes "Hey John, one more thing........ SEMPER FI!" which was really cool of him. I wanted nothing more than to be able to say Semper Fi right back to him but I knew deep down inside that I didn't rate to do so, so instead of saying Semper Fi I just said "Thank you again sir!"

These two officers were incredible, this was a huge wakeup call for me and they really got the point across and really know how to scare the living sh*t out of someone, lol. At the beginning I was literally terrified and i'm actually glad they pulled me over and I had this experience, I consider myself a law abiding citizen who does everything by the book and respects the law and my fellow citizens, it was very eye opening and you can bet your ass i'll be obeying all traffic laws from hereon out no questions asked.

Ya I had an experience with the cops once that definitely changed my approach to driving. I'll speed up a bit (to 85 or so) on the Turnpike or 95 coming back from Tally, but I generally stay within 5 MPH, and almost never pick up anymore.

Why did you have a gun in your gym bag?

Wow, glad you got away with only a warning, Ive only heard of chicks getting off with warnings.

Ive gotten pulled over about 5 times in eight years, but I still get nervous as hell.

Normaly if you stay respectful, they are courteous and professional, a couple times ive come across real

a-holes, but overall my experiences have been positive.

I find if you don't argue with them, there's a good chance you'll get off with a warning. I've been stopped 3 times--all of them pretty much BS--and been let off the hook twice.

The third time, I was driving back from an interview in Philly, passing through Maryland on the night of a Duke-Maryland basketball game, going the same speed as pretty much everyone else (80 in a 65). I swear, I got pulled over because of my Duke plate. It felt like I was being profiled. Anyway, because I got stopped and all, the timing worked out well for me to pull off of I-95 to the UMD campus, where I watched Duke kick the crap out of the Terps. Man, those people hate JJ Redick.

Anyway, I'm glad you got off...can't you go anywhere without a gun, though?

Anyway, I'm glad you got off...can't you go anywhere without a gun, though?

I am not a psychic and therefore cannot predict when and where crime will happen, therefore I choose to exercise my right as an American citizen and a resident of the great state of Florida to legally carry a concealed firearm. It's nothing out of the ordinary and no different than carrying around a cell phone or anything else, I go about my day not even thinking about it, but it's there if god forbid I ever need it - nothing more, nothing less.

Please do not turn this thread into another gun control debate, we can do that in a thread in the Bull Pen forum.

Thanks

I was going 100 MPH on the Florida Turnpike just north of Kendall Drive approaching it from the south. I had just flown through the Sun Pass lane at the Bird Road toll and I gunned it for no reason. I switch over to the inside lane cause the exit is fast approaching. As soon as I switched lanes I look to my left and a Florida Highway Patrolman is staring at me with a real stern look and points to the side telling me to pull over and immediately turns on his lights. I pull over.

Im in Miami but my tag says Palm Beach (where I bought the car) and my registration is St. Lucie (I use to live there). First thing he asks "where are you from" and i said "Im from Port St Lucie and Im going to college here" I said very innocently and immediately showed him my FIU ID. He asked for my licence, registration and insurance. He starts lecturing me how driving so fast can kill people especially if they arent wearing their seatbelts like I wasnt. He sees Im still looking for something and I say I cant seem to find my insurance card and he goes "The way youre driving I believe you have insurance". He then says "I dont want your mamma from Port St Lucie to come down here and take you back in a box...Im gonna give you a warningamd put on your seat belt".

I got so friggin lucky. FHP never lets people go.

By the way, to actually add to this topic, this happened to my friend. He was going home late as hell. Like 2 in the morning and was stoned off his ass. He didn't even have a licence and shouldn't even had been driving. He was always driving short distances though. But since it was late, he was going real fast on the way home. A cop stopped him and he thought he was in some serious sh*t. The cop looked at him, asked him where he was going, and told him to go home and stay safe. I couldn't f***ing believe that story. His life could've been seriously messed up if the guy wanted to be a dick.

Since we're telling stories... I've got two. One pretty intense, the other just OK.

Over the summer me and my friend are in his car following three girls to their hotel room in Ft. Lauderdale. It's about 3 AM, and we're following the car as they exit I-95 at Oakland Park. As soon as we make a left at the light to head east, a cop comes out of nowhere and pulls us over. Now, my friend had about two beers a few hours ago, nobody is sure how long ago, though. We also had an empty Bud Light 12 pack in the backseat, that I intelligently concealed (but not too well) before we left. I wasn't aware that we had done anything wrong, and I was certain we weren't speeding. So I told my friend to do what the officer said but first and foremost ask what you did wrong. So the officer goes through the routine, and my friend gives him everything he needs. The officer first lets my friend know his registration is expired. He then tells him he is driving past curfew. The officer asks him to step outside of the car, and my friend does. He asks him if he's been drinking, my friend says no, sir. He then asks him if he will submit to a sobriety test, which he does and passes. For some reason the officer is not convinced, and asks him to submit to a breathalizer. My friend says OK, while he practically shits his pants. I can hear their entire conversation, and I'm pretty much scared out of my mind. He blows into the thing, as it goes BEEPbeepBEEPbeepBEEPbeeeeeeeeeeeep. He asks my friend if he's SURE he hasn't been drinking tonight, and my friend says yes. The officer tells him he's passed and says have a good night. Probably the scariest moment of my life.

Now, my other story...

Less than a week ago, last Saturday, me and my two friends are in the car at about 2:30 AM heading home. It's my friends car, and he's driving. We're on Palmetto (Accord knows what road I'm talking about) approaching I-95 in a 35 MPH zone. I notice a speed trap to the right and I try to tell my friend, but we pass it going 50. My friend was also rear-ended earlier that night and had a tail light out. He pulls out, and follows us to the light, but doesn't pull us over. The light turns green, we go through it, and the car lights immediately go on. My friend that is driving had one shot about an hour before hand, nothing that could impare him but also enough to show up on a DUI. Me and my other friend, on the other hand, were a little tipsy. The cop goes through the norm, licence, registration, insurance. We find the fist two, but he can't find his insurance card. After about five minutes of searching, we find it, and it's expired. His insurance was current, but he had no proof of insurance. So right now he's facing a speeding ticket of 15 MPH over the speed limit, a missing tail light, no proof of insurance, and driving past curfew (1 AM when you are 17), which looks about $400. The officer tells him to take the keys out of the dash and exit the car. They go outside while me and my friend are left in the car. He explains to my friend all of the laws he was breaking, and then asks him if he's been drinking, to which my friend replies no. The officer takes his word for it (and thank god, because at that point I figured we were headed for the Boca PD). Still suspicous, he asks to search the vehicle. Thank god we had no alcohol on us, my friend says of course. So the officer walks to my door first, tells me to exit. He then searches me, and sits me on the curb with my buddy. My other friend then exits the car, same thing. The officer searches the car, while we talk to his partner about if he's ever been in a high speed chase. The officer concludes his search, and informs my friend to get the tail light fixed, call Geico for a new insurance card, and stop speeding. They thank us for being so cooperative, and head on.