November 17, 200619 yr Jacobs in line to play regularly Helms' departure could make left-handed slugger the main man By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com NAPLES, Fla. -- For $800,000, Wes Helms was a bargain and key contributor for the 2006 Marlins. Now, the veteran infielder is set to sign a two-year, $5.5 million contract with the Phillies. The deal, which could be worth as much as $8 million if a third-year option kicks in, is pending a physical that is scheduled for Friday. A standout situational player this past season, Helms' imminent departure erases any doubts about Mike Jacobs' status with the Marlins. The 26-year-old Jacobs remains the starter, and his playing time projects to increase. The Marlins had hoped to retain Helms, who was seeking more playing time. With the Phillies, Helms becomes the front-runner for the third-base job. During his one season with the Marlins, the 30-year-old appeared in 88 games as a situational first baseman. In all, he saw action in 140 games. Helms joined the Marlins with the understanding that he would back up Jacobs, along with seeing spot action at third base and pinch-hitting. But after batting .329 with 10 home runs and 47 RBIs in 240 at-bats, Helms sought a situation where he could see more regular playing time. He now gets that in Philadelphia. The Marlins used Helms often as a defensive replacement for Jacobs. Jacobs, meanwhile, had an up-and-down rookie season. The left-handed-hitting first baseman batted .262 with 20 home runs and 77 RBIs in 136 games. Jacobs struggled miserably against lefty pitching, batting .182 (16-for-88) with two homers and 11 RBIs. For now, the Marlins plan to give Jacobs every opportunity to face both lefties and righties. General manager Admin Beinfest points out that his young first baseman was hobbled by a right ankle injury that hampered him from Spring Training through most of the year. In recent weeks, Jacobs had the ankle X-rayed to make sure everything is fine. The latest reports indicate he is getting better. "I think it's a little unfair to Jake to evaluate him totally, because he played hurt," Beinfest said. "He was legitimately hurt. He hung in there, and he did a great job. Again, he was a rookie. He got a lot of at-bats, and hopefully that experience, and learning how to make adjustments and being healthy, will be beneficial for him. That's not a major, major concern." Still, the team will attempt to find the 2007 version of Helms. Of players currently on the 40-man roster, Minor Leaguer Jason Stokes is the only other option at first base. Stokes, who turns 25 in January, was a highly regarded prospect a few years ago before he sustained a string of injuries to his wrists. For Triple-A Albuquerque last season, Stokes appeared in 65 games and batted .257 with seven home runs and 34 RBIs. Strikeouts are a concern, as he went down on strikes 85 times in 237 at-bats. http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...6&fext=.jsp
November 17, 200619 yr good, i want to see what jake can do with a year under his belt and a healthy ankle...i expect big things from mike in 07
November 17, 200619 yr What this article neglects, and what I'm sure many who think out of the box realize is that all things considered, Willingham is more valuable at first than he is in left, and that Willingham is also a more valuable player than Jacobs...hence the smoke surrounding Jacobs' availability, even with Helms' departure likely.
November 17, 200619 yr Good to see Jake is going to get some good playing time next season. With a year of experience, I'm expecting some good numbers from Jake this coming year. good, i want to see what jake can do with a year under his belt and a healthy ankle...i expect big things from mike in 07 Yeah, what he said. :mischief
November 17, 200619 yr good, i want to see what jake can do with a year under his belt and a healthy ankle...i expect big things from mike in 07 Agreed. I think he's been written off without any reasonable excuse. He may end up being another Derrek Lee, and nevewr be the hitter he can be 'til he leaves Dolphins Stadium, but that means he'd still be productive.
November 17, 200619 yr I want to see Stokes so I can simply say I saw f***ing Stokes. Give him his shot, let him blow it, so we can move on.
November 17, 200619 yr By give Stokes a shot, I meant as a backup and/or platoon against lefties BTW. And I really would like to give Jake a second year to progress... I'm still high on his talent. He will always stike out for sure, but he is going to hit 30 a year at some point.
November 17, 200619 yr I want to see Stokes so I can simply say I saw f***ing Stokes. Give him his shot, let him blow it, so we can move on. Last ST Stokes looked real good and was my surprise pick. Of course last ST Reggie looked real good too. And in previous ST years guys like Abrahan Nunez looked real good.
November 17, 200619 yr If Stokes was actually healthy enough to platoon with Jacobs next year...... You could put down about 45 hr and a .280 batting avg from our 1b spot in the order.
November 17, 200619 yr Author I think you guys are overly optimistic when it comes to Stokes. I woud love to see him come into spring training and prove me wrong and earn a roster spot but last season's performance in Albuquerque makes me think he is an ex-prospect now in decline. Too bad injuries hampered his chances to make it to the bigs, but the landscape is littered with such guys. Projecting him to 500 ABs last season in the PCL he would have hit roughly 14 HRs. His MLE is under the Mendoza line. Prove me wrong and I'll be thrilled, but I don't think so.
November 17, 200619 yr 03, when you have nagging hand injuries all year, that is certainly going to hinder all offensive stats
November 17, 200619 yr Author 03, when you have nagging hand injuries all year, that is certainly going to hinder all offensive stats The problem is every year there's something "wrong" with Stokes, or it seems so. You know me, I want every guy who's come this far to get his shot in the bigs, and I'm not anti-Stokes, but rather I believe being realistic in accepting the notion his career is in decline. He certainly isn't a guy I'd count on to the point where I would not otherwise make a trade with another team for a backup/platoon player at first. But like I said, if he's in camp in March I'll be rooting for him to succeed, and the easiest thing in the world for me to do is declare I was wrong.
November 17, 200619 yr 03, when you have nagging hand injuries all year, that is certainly going to hinder all offensive stats The problem is every year there's something "wrong" with Stokes, or it seems so. You know me, I want every guy who's come this far to get his shot in the bigs, and I'm not anti-Stokes, but rather I believe being realistic in accepting the notion his career is in decline. He certainly isn't a guy I'd count on to the point where I would not otherwise make a trade with another team for a backup/platoon player at first. But like I said, if he's in camp in March I'll be rooting for him to succeed, and the easiest thing in the world for me to do is declare I was wrong. oh, don't get me wrong, he is an injury prone as they come, but if healthy he is an absolute monster
November 17, 200619 yr I think you guys are overly optimistic when it comes to Stokes. I woud love to see him come into spring training and prove me wrong and earn a roster spot but last season's performance in Albuquerque makes me think he is an ex-prospect now in decline. Too bad injuries hampered his chances to make it to the bigs, but the landscape is littered with such guys. Projecting him to 500 ABs last season in the PCL he would have hit roughly 14 HRs. His MLE is under the Mendoza line. Prove me wrong and I'll be thrilled, but I don't think so. I completely agree that "If he is healthy" is the most over-used prefix in the world when it comes to underperformers, but it's really the only thing holding this guy back. However, Projecting him out to 500 AB's is essentially worthless when you're talking about him. If you follow him as closely as i have over the years, you see the months when he gets healthy. He'll have stretches where he Slugs .900 and has a .375 OBP. Then you'll see him leave a game early in the 6th inning. All of a sudden he's batting .150 for the next 2 weeks, then goes on the DL. Projecting his 60 at bats last year is as pointless as projecting his hot streaks. The point is, he truly is a monstrous hitter, and if he could ease into the bigs facing only Lefties.........He might push Jacobs aside and take over 1st all to himself. If he stays healthy
November 18, 200619 yr We actually should expect to see a completely different Mike Jacobs next season...Our FO knows what really have in him. It would be a huge mistake to give up on him so easily. I love the DLee comparison except Jacobs needs to improve defensively as well
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.