Computer Question

Mark

Ok Guys, I'm not exactly a genius with all this networking stuff, so I have a question.

I own a Dell laptop with a wireless card, in which I have never had any problems with, until now. Currently at my apartment I have a D-Link modem/wireless router in which I got wireless internet off of fine for the first 3 months or so. Over the last month or so, though, I have not been able to fully connect to my wireless network. Every time I try to connect to the network, the message saying "There is limited or no connectivity" pops up, and I'm not able to access the internet on my laptop. My roommate, however, has the ethernet cord coming from the router and has no problem getting on.

Here is the strange thing. It works everywhere else perfectly fine. I've even tried to run a long ethernet cord into my room, but I still get the "limited or no connectivity" message.

Anybody got any suggestions? Other than un-installing the router software and starting over?

Things I have tried:

Resetting the router/modem by unplugging them

Disabling any firewall that may be blocking connection

Sounds like an issue with your computer. Have you ever checked the router's settings by going to your router's IP address?

Yes. I do that on my roommates computer, though, because it is in his room. Everything looks fine.

One of the problems it says I'm having is that it can't establish an IP for my computer on the network. Again, though, my laptop has no problem connecting to any other wireless network.

Let me preface this post by saying, I am by no means computer savvy

Go to Internet Explorer

-->Tools

-->Internet Options

-->Connections

-->LAN Settings

and than click the box for "Automatically Detect Settings" (so that it is checked)

This worked for me, I was having the same problem you seem to be having not too long ago with a Sony Laptop. Maybe even select "Use automatic configuration script" and type in your IP address. I'm guessing you can find what the IP address is, even though you cant get onto the internet?

If this doesn't work. Which, quite frankly...It probably wont, given the fact that I'm the one giving computer advice.

This site http://forums.techguy.org/53-networking/Is absolutely amazing for Free Tech Support. I've had a bunch of networking problems in the past, and these guys seem to get them squared away real quick (Although they're stuck on my current problem) It's a helluva lot easier than spending 3 hours on the phone with some Indian dude that you can't understand.

So definitely check that site out and post a thread if all else fails

"Limited or no connectivity"

Funny. I got into the office this morning and was having the same problem on alot of the machines here. Needless to say not the thing I wanted to see first thing on Monday morning going into work.

Anyways, the reason that happens is due to your router's DHCP not being able to assign you a valid LAN address. Why these things happen out of nowhere is beyond me. I have been f***ing around all morning trying to figure out how this happened to our office network.

Sometimes when this happens it has to do with the limit of connections your router allows via DHCP. You might have had some new internet users in your house or if your WIFI network is unsecure you have others on your network as well.

If you double click on the wifi blinking computer icon in the system tray and pull up your Network Connections... What does it say when you hit the support tab and then hit details like the following screenshot?

Does it say automatically assigned private IP address or Assigned by DHCP under Address Type? If it says Private IP address. I can walk you through manually configuring your IP so you won't lost it again (unless you shut off your computer)

I wouldn't even bother with all the suggestions. It's your internal wireless card that's f***ed up. I had the same exact issue about a month ago. i just went out and bought a belkin card for like 50 bucks and the wireless is working again.

If you still have warranty send it in when you can, but I never had the time b/c of school and what not.

I wouldn't even bother with all the suggestions. It's your internal wireless card that's f***ed up. I had the same exact issue about a month ago. i just went out and bought a belkin card for like 50 bucks and the wireless is working again.

If you still have warranty send it in when you can, but I never had the time b/c of school and what not.

Well before running out and dropping 50 bucks I would be happy to assist you in trying to fix it first. I'd hate to have you waste 50 bucks if you dont need to.

Sorry to sound like a know-it-all but I kind of enjoy things like this :thumbup

Well before running out and dropping 50 bucks I would be happy to assist you in trying to fix it first. I'd hate to have you waste 50 bucks if you dont need to.

I generally don't pretend to know anything about computers, but the situation he described is identical to what I went through. The network had a strong signal but kept referrencing the no connectivity. My friend, a computer guru, couldn't even figure it out and agreed it was the internal card.

I generally don't pretend to know anything about computers, but the situation he described is identical to what I went through. The network had a strong signal but kept referrencing the no connectivity. My friend, a computer guru, couldn't even figure it out and agreed it was the internal card.

OK well I didn't have to replace every network card in every computer this morning in my office.

Regardless, Mark if your looking for some free help you know where I'm at buddy.

You funny :cool

Sorry for trying to help the man. You know I'm sure he figured he could run out and pay to fix the problem but not everyone has 50 bucks to drop like that.

It was my last option, trust me. I spoke with my computer whiz friend, my cousin, the Geek Squad at Best Buy...maybe he'll have better luck.

You funny :cool

Sorry for trying to help the man. You know I'm sure he figured he could run out and pay to fix the problem but not everyone has 50 bucks to drop like that.

It was my last option, trust me. I spoke with my computer whiz friend, my cousin, the Geek Squad at Best Buy...maybe he'll have better luck.

Geek Squad FTW.

Sorry I should have never doubted you. :shifty

Guys, I'm currently trying some of these things.

I'll let you know in a bit what happens.

Hanley, tried to do the LAN setting thing - didn't work.

Boog - tried to do the IP renew thing - it timed out.

Jon, when I open the support screen on the status window, it just basically states that the network could not assign a network address to the computer...I've tried to "repair" it, but it still can't assign an IP.

I don't know if this has been resolved, but JonDigital is on the right track here. If your wireless works everywhere else, then obviously your card is fine. It just sounds like you've run out of IP's on your router. You can either dial into the router and increase the number of DHCP addresses it will dish out, or you can shut everything else off in your apartment/house and see if you pick up an IP... Let us know if you need any more help..

When is the last time you recycled the Router? Just power it down and back up again.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Start - Control Panel - Network Connections - Wireless Network Connection

Change Advanced Settings

Click the Wireless Networks Tab

Make sure there is a check box in "Use Windows to Configure my Wireless Network Settings"

Then click View Wireless Networks and Refresh Network List

If your system rediscovers your network, you are in good shape. Go ahead and double click on it and connect

Let me know how this works out or if you see any errors after trying this.

Call DLink and tell them their sh*t sucks... it also could be your router... i've had a dlink router send out a signal but was basically sending out 'blanks' and i wasn't receiving anything and they replaced it.

Yeah, it's the routers problem. It's not allowing my computer to join the network I guess. I'm calling them tomorrow more than likely.

Hate this crap so much. So frustrating.

Call DLink and tell them their sh*t sucks... it also could be your router... i've had a dlink router send out a signal but was basically sending out 'blanks' and i wasn't receiving anything and they replaced it.

Yeah, it's the routers problem. It's not allowing my computer to join the network I guess. I'm calling them tomorrow more than likely.

Hate this crap so much. So frustrating.

i'm not sure if they replace it or not... if not go with a different router, maybe something with wireless N technology :D .

dlink blows anyway