Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

U.S. Airstrikes Target Al-Qaeda in Somalia

Featured Replies

MSNBC.com-

 

WASHINGTON - A U.S. helicopter gunship conducted a strike against two suspected al-Qaida operatives in southern Somalia, but it was not known whether the mission was successful, CBS News reported on Monday.

 

The U.S. Air Force helicopter, operated by the Special Operations Command, flew from its base in Djibouti to the southern tip of Somalia, where the al-Qaida suspects were believed to have fled from the capital, Mogadishu, the network reported.

 

A Pentagon spokesman said he had no information on the report.

 

The al-Qaida operatives, who were not named, included a suspect in the car bomb attacks on the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, the report said.

 

Updates are forthcoming.

 

Link

Glad to see that.

 

We should be focusing more on Al-Qaeda targets like that throughout Africa, the Middle East, and southeast Asia specifically the Phillipines and Indonesia where there are known terrorist training sites.

I strongly disagree.

 

How can we make a statement like this then have the impudence to perform military operations in this country? It really gives our nation a black eye and makes it harder for Americans abroad to shake our bad image. This entire operational strategy is ill-conceived and a serious drain on overcommitted military resources. It's like we are BEGGING for another disaster.

I could care less about what the world thinks or popularity contests! Just do it!!

That's the kind of winning attitude that leads to terrorist attacks on US civilians and rocks being thrown at our service members overseas. Good job! :thumbup

I strongly disagree.

 

How can we make a statement like this then have the impudence to perform military operations in this country? It really gives our nation a black eye and makes it harder for Americans abroad to shake our bad image. This entire operational strategy is ill-conceived and a serious drain on overcommitted military resources. It's like we are BEGGING for another disaster.

 

This was a special operation its not a war like Iraq which btw I against from the beginning. These are type of tatics we should be employing on the war on terrorism.

 

What do you propose then? Just let these terrorist camps exist?

I could care less about what the world thinks or popularity contests! Just do it!!

 

That really is just a terrible mindset to have. Regaining the support of the international community should be one of the priorities of the American government in coming years.

This was a special operation its not a war like Iraq

This was just a special operation too.

 

There are a number of ways of dealing with targets of opportunity without getting the military OFFICIALLY involved. That is my point. We had intel from credible sources regarding the whereabouts of two suspects. These leads could have been followed up on by any number of means including the involvement of local tribal leaders. Those guys don't want terrorists in their territory any more than we do. And their "choppers" are machetes.

This was a special operation its not a war like Iraq

This was just a special operation too.

 

There are a number of ways of dealing with targets of opportunity without getting the military OFFICIALLY involved. That is my point. We had intel from credible sources regarding the whereabouts of two suspects. These leads could have been followed up on by any number of means including the involvement of local tribal leaders. Those guys don't want terrorists in their territory any more than we do. And their "choppers" are machetes.

 

Yeah your right.

 

Those tribal leaders in Afghanistan did an outstanding job with Bin Laden.

I could care less about what the world thinks or popularity contests! Just do it!!

 

That really is just a terrible mindset to have. Regaining the support of the international community should be one of the priorities of the American government in coming years.

 

Lets be real about this... the world has not cared about the US for quite some time and it did not happen over night and all of a sudden with this current administration...it goes way back. Other countries will always dislike the US. Its plain and simple. Its too bad but its the reality and the truth. They did not like us during Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan, Jimmy Carter, etc. The US has done a lot of good for other countries and all we get is B.S. Therefore, once again it is why I made the earlier statement. Oh and by the way ...adjust your mindset to reality.

I could care less about what the world thinks or popularity contests! Just do it!!

 

That really is just a terrible mindset to have. Regaining the support of the international community should be one of the priorities of the American government in coming years.

 

Lets be real about this... the world has not cared about the US for quite some time and it did not happen over night and all of a sudden with this current administration...it goes way back. Other countries will always dislike the US. Its plain and simple. Its too bad but its the reality and the truth. They did not like us during Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan, Jimmy Carter, etc. The US has done a lot of good for other countries and all we get is B.S. Therefore, once again it is why I made the earlier statement. Oh and by the way ...adjust your mindset to reality.

 

I wouldnt go that far.

 

In fact I was reading after 9/11 a major French newspaper proclaimed that "We are all Americans" Thats a pretty strong statement coming from a country that pretty much hates us now. Bush should have embraced the international communities support after 9/11 and they did support us in the Afghan invasion.

I could care less about what the world thinks or popularity contests! Just do it!!

 

That really is just a terrible mindset to have. Regaining the support of the international community should be one of the priorities of the American government in coming years.

 

Lets be real about this... the world has not cared about the US for quite some time and it did not happen over night and all of a sudden with this current administration...it goes way back. Other countries will always dislike the US. Its plain and simple. Its too bad but its the reality and the truth. They did not like us during Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan, Jimmy Carter, etc. The US has done a lot of good for other countries and all we get is B.S. Therefore, once again it is why I made the earlier statement. Oh and by the way ...adjust your mindset to reality.

many in world have and will hate us til their final breath...but before W. took office, the US was gaining some world credibility by working with the rest of the world to complete various tasks...then the texas mantality took over and we ignore the united nations and international law and things of that nature...which...the world didnt appreciate...gee what a shocker when the rich prick in class falls out of his chair and everyone laughs

I could care less about what the world thinks or popularity contests! Just do it!!

 

That really is just a terrible mindset to have. Regaining the support of the international community should be one of the priorities of the American government in coming years.

 

Lets be real about this... the world has not cared about the US for quite some time and it did not happen over night and all of a sudden with this current administration...it goes way back. Other countries will always dislike the US. Its plain and simple. Its too bad but its the reality and the truth. They did not like us during Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan, Jimmy Carter, etc. The US has done a lot of good for other countries and all we get is B.S. Therefore, once again it is why I made the earlier statement. Oh and by the way ...adjust your mindset to reality.

 

Although I agree with some of this, the rest of it is quite off base in my opinion. There are countries which always have, and always will hate the US but the other 75% of the world is not so black and white on the issues. It is the support of these other countries which will help to ensure the long term success of the United States. Clinton was one of the most well liked, and well repsected presidents abroad and is considered by many abroad as one of the best US presidents ever. (Please note, I am not making this a republican vs. democrat argument, just simply responding to your post.) In all of my travels and places I've lived abroad I have had the chance to discuss politics with every sort of person imaginable from all over the world. Whehere you belive it or not, people appriciate the good works done by the United States but also are quick to disapprove of other actions (ie: the current war and administration.) Just because some sects of people and governments hate the US, doesn't mean we should scrape international relations altogether.

 

To give a little more insight on the matter, I will say that in all of my time travelling in the middle east (Egypt, Lebanon, Turkey, Azerbaijan...) I was amazed at the response I got from the people. Despite the fact that they nearly all disapproved of the current administration, they were some of the warmest, most welcoming people I've ever met. They were able to separate their personal and political feelings and realize that just because I was from America, doesn't mean that I am "evil" or "anti-middle east."

Yeah your right.

 

Those tribal leaders in Afghanistan did an outstanding job with Bin Laden.

:lol

 

You do understand the difference between a guy like Bin Laden and a "common" criminal, right? Have you ever been to this part of the world?

 

I'm with helmse on this. Most people don't hate Americans, they just hate the way our country does business. We are like Wal Mart. I know tons of people who hate Wal Mart and everything it represents, then turn around shop there. We are easy targets for villification and EVERYTHING we do now is done under a microscope. We are victims of our own success.

Yeah your right.

 

Those tribal leaders in Afghanistan did an outstanding job with Bin Laden.

:lol

 

You do understand the difference between a guy like Bin Laden and a "common" criminal, right? Have you ever been to this part of the world?

 

 

Yeah I understand that but its still Al-Qaeda and a lot of these tribal leaders hate America just as much as they hate Al-Qaeda.

 

I see no problem in what we did and I'm not a hung ho guy. Were not invading or occupying were taking out targets that pose a threat to us.

Were not invading or occupying were taking out targets that pose a threat to us.

Okay, so you would have no problems with a Chinese chopper taking out a couple of CIA operatives in Homer, Alaska who pose a threat to their national security, right? I just wanted to make sure we were clear on that.

Were not invading or occupying were taking out targets that pose a threat to us.

Okay, so you would have no problems with a Chinese chopper taking out a couple of CIA operatives in Homer, Alaska who pose a threat to their national security, right? I just wanted to make sure we were clear on that.

 

Yes because Al-Qaeda is a legitimate organization just like the CIA. Your comparison only ilustrates your ignorance in international politics and on the Somalia issue. The scenario described by you would be an actual attack on a sovereing nation by the Chinese. An Al-Qaeda training site is not a government entity of any country. In my opinion you are trying way to hard to be the controversial liberal of the board.

Were not invading or occupying were taking out targets that pose a threat to us.

Okay, so you would have no problems with a Chinese chopper taking out a couple of CIA operatives in Homer, Alaska who pose a threat to their national security, right? I just wanted to make sure we were clear on that.

 

Yes because Al-Qaeda is a legitimate organization just like the CIA. Your comparison only ilustrates your ignorance in international politics and on the Somalia issue. The scenario described by you would be an actual attack on a sovereing nation by the Chinese. An Al-Qaeda training site is not a government entity of any country. In my opinion you are trying way to hard to be the controversial liberal of the board.

 

thank you.

The most ignored thing in this post is that america is not hated b/c of foreign policy only. In fact a large portion of the world especially latin america, hate america and americans not b/c of bush or b/c of iraq, but b/c of capitalism. They blame capitalism for the poverty and corruption in their countries, so they turn to marxism. Since in the minds of many capitalism=U.S., then they hate the U.S. as well.

The most ignored thing in this post is that america is not hated b/c of foreign policy only. In fact a large portion of the world especially latin america, hate america and americans not b/c of bush or b/c of iraq, but b/c of capitalism. They blame capitalism for the poverty and corruption in their countries, so they turn to marxism. Since in the minds of many capitalism=U.S., then they hate the U.S. as well.

 

Do you really believe this? I understand that the job opportunities in America are a great incentive for Central Americans and I know many Guatemalans and Costa Ricans who work in the United States in order to help their families back home, but I do not for a second believe that this is why they "hate? America. The world's opinion of American has very little to do with capitalism and I think it is very idealistic to think that this is the main reason. Once again, this is from my own experience alone but I have never heard, nor sensed, any hatred from the people in Central America towards the US, and especially not for a reason such as capitalism. Sadly there are much larger issues at hand which have aggravated many countries abroad, but I think it is extremely idealistic and conceited to think that capitalism is the reason for this.

People in other countries that hate America are enemies with our friends. It is not about hating America. It's simple. The friend of my enemy is my enemy, and the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Iranians that are opposed to the Iranian government love the United States. Saudi Arabians that hate their government hate us. Furthermore, you can take that to an even closer level... people that are not benefitting (or are in fact hurting) from the increased presence of American multinationals will hate America. Those that are benefitting love America. I saw this firsthand when I studied abroad in Brazil. Without exception, the people that had strongly pro-American feelings benefitted from America (either they or their families had great jobs with American multinationals or with Brazilian companies that exported to America) and those that had strongly anti-American feelings did not (or suffered from the presence of American multinationals).

 

I am from Nicaragua and I remember the 80's quite well (well, I was little, but I do remember, even though I left when I was 6). All the people that hated the Sandinistas (including many in my family) loved the United States. They actually wanted the United States to invade and topple the Sandinistas. The Sandinistas and their supporters obviously hated the Americans.

 

Someone with a more nuanced and intelligent understanding of international and national politics (of other countries) and international (political) economics would know how to maintain a strong American image abroad while simultaneously protecting America's interests. Bush fails at this.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.