The Mars Volta

Ya its definately not an easy listen the first time you listen. But the easier a band sticks on, the easier they'll fall off. The more i listen and the more patience Ihave with them instead FF through 50% of the cd, they start to become addicting.

Just the fact that they are an allstar team of talent alone would get them a deal. Omar And Cedric coming from one the revolutionary bands in the industries move away from pop rock(AtDi). The promote artistic rock, that offers far more substance then alot of trash music out there. They grabbed probbly one of the top drummers out there in Jon Theodore who retired after Frances the Mute. Ikey is a pro act pianist with knowledge of multiple types of scales and styles. Giving them alot of their versitillity, from Latin to Jazz, Blues, Rock. Fleming who recorded Amputechture, was probably one of a few revolutionary drummers in the 90's. (Dazzling Killmen) He changed the way alot of harder bands drum these days. Im not sure the name of the new bassist but listen to number 7 on Amputchture thats all I really need to say. I find this a band packed with talent that can hit you from more angles than anyone out there, with talent you can't have unless musicians callaberate from around the country.

In order

1 Deloused

2 Amputechture

3 Frances the mute (although the first three songs on that cd are their best works.

but the band gets really old and really annoying really fast ... specially with the 15 minutes of feedback and beep beep beeps after each song.

That's for sure.....The Widow would be so much better if they didn't have that crap at the end of the song. They could have used that time to put something melodious together.....oh well. That basically sums up my thoughts on the Volta - lots of talent that shows some serious flashes but gets put to waste a lot.

Whats the difference if they end the song or put ambience, Thats not just a computer making random noises btw, its the nusicians and the sound tech doin thinks with all types of pedals, alot of that stuff comes from messing with the analog controls on delay pedals.

So we're suppossed to like the sound of the "noise" because it was made by a guy turning knobs on a delay/chorus/flanger pedal as oppossed to a "computer"?

It's still noise.

I'm sort of in-between. Parts of songs I love, (listen to "Eriatarka" for example, that's probably my favorite song of theirs) but the stuff in general does tend to get a little old, and probably the reason I haven't delved into their new stuff as much.

and the lyrics are wtf-worthy.

"Stung the slang of a gallows bird

Sanctioned a dead letter pure

trackmarked amoeba lands craft

cartwheel of scratches

dress the tape worm as pets

tentacles smirk please

flinch the cocooned meat

infra-recon forgets

evaporated the fur

because it covers them"

:eyebrow

I'm sort of in-between. Parts of songs I love, (listen to "Eriatarka" for example, that's probably my favorite song of theirs) but the stuff in general does tend to get a little old, and probably the reason I haven't delved into their new stuff as much.

and the lyrics are wtf-worthy.

"Stung the slang of a gallows bird

Sanctioned a dead letter pure

trackmarked amoeba lands craft

cartwheel of scratches

dress the tape worm as pets

tentacles smirk please

flinch the cocooned meat

infra-recon forgets

evaporated the fur

because it covers them"

:eyebrow

thats about the only good part about the band. The lyrics yeah i know they make absolutly no sense and thats the point, Bixler just writes the first thing that comes to mind and as weird as possibly can be. a weird haiku perhaps. He did the same thing with at the drive in and I thought it was brilliant, well at the least original

Whats the difference if they end the song or put ambience, Thats not just a computer making random noises btw, its the nusicians and the sound tech doin thinks with all types of pedals, alot of that stuff comes from messing with the analog controls on delay pedals.

So we're suppossed to like the sound of the "noise" because it was made by a guy turning knobs on a delay/chorus/flanger pedal as oppossed to a "computer"?

It's still noise.

No, im saying i can apreciate it because what they are actually doing is hard, Ive tried it. They do it very well.

And the lyrics are cryptic, they all mean somethings, he reuses phrases that mean basically the same thing

Example: Any things about eyes is referring to his deceased friend Venegas whos paintings include 3 eyes.

It takes a while to start to catch on to what hes talking about.

there's a big difference between doing something because its hard or doing something to make noise. Sonic Youth found a nice niche of mixing both the noise and the melodic together. Mars Volta just does noise, which is cool but after 8 minutes is hella annoying.

Alot of the ambience from the Miranda part of Frances the Mute is melodic, and actually pretty cool, some i think they justify some ambience in the cd by creating a state of confusion and disorientation which goes alot the plot of the cd. i dont think they purpose of some of it is supposed to be medlodic or im sure theyd put something together alot catchier that. But i understand what you mean, i often FF through the ambience at the begiinning or end of the songs, but the songs that contain only ambience like Miranda, is very good. Probably more to do with Theodores drumming just as much as whoever is in control of the effects.

The new Minus the Bear , Minus El Oso remix cd is probably the best ambience ive heard. Check it out.