I'm on such an 80's kick right now

Bradcore

Best songs from the 80's...

Discuss

"Paradise City". That song is the perfect glam metal song.

Basically, anything from Appetite for Destruction rocks. That album was solid gold. :thumbup

What about the master of puppets. Maybe the best metal song ever.

Someone top this

Goonies + Cyndi Lauper + Captain Lou Albano + Roddy Pipper

Discuss

Basically, anything from Appetite for Destruction rocks. That album was solid gold. :thumbup

Easily the best metal album of the 80's, and arguably one of the top 10 albums of the 80's.

Hell, that's the best metal album ever.

Discuss

Easily the best metal album of the 80's, and arguably one of the top 10 albums of the 80's.

Does ACDC cut it as metal? If so Back in Black is up there. Its the 2nd best selling album of all time.

The master of puppets album is there as well.

Discuss

Does ACDC cut it as metal? If so Back in Black is up there. Its the 2nd best selling album of all time.

ACDC isn't really metal, per se, but Back In Black did like invent the guitar tone that nearly every 80's heavy metal band tried to copy. Listen to "Shook Me All Night Long" and then listen to like every glam metal song in the 80's and they all seem to be striving for that sound.

I'm not a huge Metallica fan, though I will say that Kirk Hammet is one of the most underappreciated guitarists of our era, even if he's boring as hell 75% of the time. When he's good, he's amazing and does stuff that other people would never think of (in terms of riffs), but other wise it's kind of standard heavy metal guitar playing.

And I'd say Ride The Lightning is better than Master. Master's 2nd half is too inconsistent.

Discuss

ACDC isn't really metal, per se, but Back In Black did like invent the guitar tone that nearly every 80's heavy metal band tried to copy. Listen to "Shook Me All Night Long" and then listen to like every glam metal song in the 80's and they all seem to be striving for that sound.

I'm not a huge Metallica fan, though I will say that Kirk Hammet is one of the most underappreciated guitarists of our era, even if he's boring as hell 75% of the time. When he's good, he's amazing and does stuff that other people would never think of (in terms of riffs), but other wise it's kind of standard heavy metal guitar playing.

And I'd say Ride The Lightning is better than Master. Master's 2nd half is too inconsistent.

Then lets throw in ...and justice for all in the mix. That might be their best album.

Well is Guns and roses metal? I mean when I think of metal I think of bands pantera, sabbath, lamb of god. Guns and roses is better than all of them, but they dont have a hard a sound.

Then lets throw in ...and justice for all in the mix. That might be their best album.

Well is Guns and roses metal? I mean when I think of metal I think of bands pantera, sabbath, lamb of god. Guns and roses is better than all of them, but they dont have a hard a sound.

...And Justic For All is probably their best album, actually. And I know it's lame to say, but "One" is probably their best song. There's so much going on there on so many levels.

I'd say Guns N Roses is metal, but not like HEAVY metal. They are glam metal, or hair metal. It's a different subgenre (and one that I find altogether more enjoyable). Guns N Roses is more similar to AC/DC than traditional Heavy Metal acts, so I guess if AC/DC isn't metal, GNR isn't either, but I kind of think they are, more because of their look than their sound. I consider all of those "hair bands" to be glam metal, even if the music isn't necessarily heavy.

And I'd consider most hair metal bands to be superior to their heavy metal counterparts, with the exception of pre-Dio Sabbath.

...And Justic For All is probably their best album, actually. And I know it's lame to say, but "One" is probably their best song. There's so much going on there on so many levels.

I'd say Guns N Roses is metal, but not like HEAVY metal. They are glam metal, or hair metal. It's a different subgenre (and one that I find altogether more enjoyable). Guns N Roses is more similar to AC/DC than traditional Heavy Metal acts, so I guess if AC/DC isn't metal, GNR isn't either, but I kind of think they are, more because of their look than their sound. I consider all of those "hair bands" to be glam metal, even if the music isn't necessarily heavy.

And I'd consider most hair metal bands to be superior to their heavy metal counterparts, with the exception of pre-Dio Sabbath.

For the most part I agree with that last part.

Since we're on it

best songs from each album

Kill em all- Four Horseman

ride the lightning- bells

master of puppets- master of puppets

justice- one (however blackend is right there)

black- sad but true

load- until it sleeps

re-load- fuel

I think one or master of puppets is their best song.

For the most part I agree with that last part.

Since we're on it

best songs from each album

Kill em all- Four Horseman

ride the lightning- bells

master of puppets- master of puppets

justice- one (however blackend is right there)

black- sad but true

load- until it sleeps

re-load- fuel

I think one or master of puppets is their best song.

I don't own all of their albums, but I do own the first 5. I've listened to the rest, but I don't own them.

"Fight Fire With Fire" is probably my favorite off of Ride The Lightning. That song is so musically sophisticated for speed metal. He's singing it totally off beat, but it works.

I agree with Four Horsemen, Master, and One. But my favorite song on Metallica is probably "Nothing Else Matters."

I don't own all of their albums, but I do own the first 5. I've listened to the rest, but I don't own them.

"Fight Fire With Fire" is probably my favorite off of Ride The Lightning. That song is so musically sophisticated for speed metal. He's singing it totally off beat, but it works.

I agree with Four Horsemen, Master, and One. But my favorite song on Metallica is probably "Nothing Else Matters."

Fade to black is an awesome song as well.

Metallica is recording their new album and they say it will be a mix between the master of puppets and black album. We'll see how that turns out. I'll give them a pass for st. anger.

There are some other good 80's metal bands. Scorpions, Kiss, Twisted sister.

Also even though its not rock, we cant forget about madonna.

The 80's were a hell of a decade for music. Their was good pop music, even though it gets a bad name now. Thriller is the epitome of great pop music, and all of the synth pop bands were doing pretty interesting stuff for a while (before it became kind of a self-parodying genre). Hip hop came into it's own, and I feel the best hip hop album ever was released in the 80's (Paul's Boutique). The hair bands get a lot of sh*t, but there was some legitimately good music going on, especially for how popular it was. I mean, you can't tell me Van Hallen wasn't a great band. And GNR, Motley Crue, Poison, and Bon Jovi were all doing good stuff too.

And as for non-pop stuff, the underground released some amazing records in that time. From the Replacements to Sonic Youth to Bad Brains, etc, there was all kinds of interesting and great music going on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.