Chicago fan reaction

Fish Fillet

For some reason I'm taking way too much pleasure wallowing in the masochistic voyeurism of the Cubs fans' lament.

From the Tribune:

Link

Next year is still next year

Fans lament loss

By Brett McNeil and Gayle Worland

Tribune staff reporters

Published October 16, 2003, 12:18 AM CDT

At 10:30 p.m., it was all over. The Florida Marlins took the National League championship. Chicago Cubs fans went home to cry.

"I think the thing that's most crushing is I remember crying my eyes out when I was seven when they lost in 1984," said Chris Ford, 26, of Chicago. "I've been dying to see a championship ever since then. It feels like I'm going to have to wait another 19 years.

"You just get the feeling that this team, this park, this organization is cursed."

Fans booed as the Marlins rushed onto the field to congratulate themselves. There were sporadic chants of "Let's go Boston." The fans cheered as Dusty Baker walked onto the field.

"It's heartbreaking. It hurts me. I believed at three-one, I believed at three-two, I believed at three-three, I believe in next year once again," said Bob Samansky of Portage, Ind.

Tina Pollard, 27, of Tulsa, Okla., sat in the grandstand and cried.

Today was her birthday. "I was hoping for a birthday pennant," she said.

"Well what else would you expect to happen?" said Joe Murray, 37, of Riverside. "Now I've got to go meet all my Sox friends, and they're just gloating right now."

"You always have a feeling they're going to find a way to blow it," said David Smelcer, 50, of Olympia, Wash.

Smelcer's sister, Wilma Smelcer, 54, of Chicago, was kinder: "We love this team. We've loved this team since we were kids. I think they did a fabulous job, and I think the kind of stress Chicago puts on a team is pretty tough."

"We feel crummy, but we love the Cubs."

On the streets surrounding Wrigley Field, it was like a funeral. People spoke in hushed tones. They exchanged hugs and handshakes. The once-boisterous crowd on Waveland Avenue turned glum. Fans just started walking away.

The crowd inside and outside Wrigley was up and down all night long, but the mood turned increasingly glum as the game progressed. Under the Wrigley Field marquee in front of the stadium, chanting fans began to break up into quiet groups huddled around portable televisions.

"That hurt. We've been aching to win," said Michelle Grozdanovic, 18, of Niles. "I was expecting so much. It turned out so bad."

"I am morally dejected," said Rick Bjornson, 37, of Chicago. "I'll still support them, but to go down in flames like this is ridiculous."

"They choked," said Mark Runis, 38, of Chicago. "You have to have the heart of a champion to win. We didn't show we had the heart or desire of a champion."

"The hardest thing is the buildup," said Noah Warsaw, 21, of Skokie. "Just to think you're going to see a Cubs pennant and not having it come through."

"It's like you've always been a Cubs fan and they've come so, so far, and they do this. It's messed up," said Mohammed Basith, 22, of Gurnee.

The mood was the same among those who followed the game far removed from the ballpark.

"Right now, we have a wake," said Dan Monckton, owner of Seul's Tavern and Grill in Northfield.

"Very very sad," said Seul's patron Karen Keefe, 45, of Northfield. "They had a great season. I'm very proud of them."

"I've been a Cubs fan for over 60 years, and now they disappointed me. But I'll root for them next year," said Margaret Ehrke, 85, who watched the game from her Crystal Lake home.

Back in Wrigleyville, Kim Acosta, 37, of Chicago, tried to be philosophical.

"At least the team got this far," she said as her children Celia, 10, and Ceirra, 8, played outside Wrigley Field with the red, white and blue beads she had bought for them. "I think it's great how this city came together to cheer them on."

"Maybe next year," Celia piped up.

Tribune staff reporters Susan Kuczka, Angela Rozas, Carolyn Starks and Charles Meyerson, freelance writer Robert Channick and the Associated Press contributed to this story.

hahahahha adleast they still have Kordel and DA BEARS hahahah

cant forget about the NBA starting on the 28th Curry, Rose, and Chandler should giive these losers some hope!!!!!

Beautiful ending..... this s*** is storybook type s***!!!!!!!

couldnt have wrote it any better.....

i seriously dont know what this curse is about... they had a chance in game 7 and Wood Blew it..... and DUsty got outmanaged those are facts.. and they have nothing to do with a f***ing curse

The Cubs got all the media attention and the Marlins took it and STUFFED IT BACK IN THEIR FACES. Yet the media is still over them. The Headline at ESPN.com isn't "MARLINS WIN!" but "Wrigley Glum" which is pretty cheap from ESPN, but what did you expect? Go Marlins in the World Series, and I say, if the Red Sox beat the Yankees today I will be the biggest Marlin fan in the world until that series is done.

The Cubs got all the media attention and the Marlins took it and STUFFED IT BACK IN THEIR FACES. Yet the media is still over them. The Headline at ESPN.com isn't "MARLINS WIN!" but "Wrigley Glum" which is pretty cheap from ESPN, but what did you expect? Go Marlins in the World Series, and I say, if the Red Sox beat the Yankees today I will be the biggest Marlin fan in the world until that series is done.

It's sad when people care more about the Cub's curse than the Marlins.

ya think the cub fans are ever gonna give up and find a new team to root for?

As long as their is a ballpark with lots of beer, surrounded by a neighborhood with lots of bars that have lots of beers, and girls in bikinis in the stands, they will never give up, or care for that matter.

Oh...the humanity of it all!!!!!

I'll tell you that the Chicago media is just fawning over the Cubs loss. Believe me...every news shop in this town is crying in their beer over the loss, and they're hyping up the Steve Bartman angle into major overkill. Now...I honestly hope nothing happens to the guy...he was only doing what any other fan would've done in his situation. There were about 6 other people near him who were going after that ball...he was the unfortunate soul who touched it. Now, in case you haven't heard, a Hollywood movie company is wanting to make a movie based on Bartman's infamous interference. He's been talked about so much around here, that we at White Sox Interactive are talking about having a "Steve Bartman Day" at U.S. Cellular Field next season. I'd prefer it to happen when the Cubs play the Sox at "The Cell", and every fan who shows up at the ballpark with a Bartman costume gets a special "Chokersville Chockers" cap Sox fans who attended a far south-side bar received when they watched your Fish beat the baby-Bears.

I confess I'm torn as to who to root for in the WS. I'll tell you if the Red Sox won last night, I'd be 100 for the Marlins. However, I also like the Yankees, so I'm hoping for a long series that'll capture the nation's attention. If the Marlins win, I'll be very happy...but the Yanks are a challenge...not that the Marlins didn't overcome big challenges before.

Best wishes to the Marlins in the World Series.