Further Proof that WQAM is nada without the Fish

CapeFish

RADIO

WLYF hops to No. 1

BY CARY DARLING

[email protected]

Adult contemporary WLYF-FM (101.5) broke the hip-hop hold on South Florida radio by nabbing the No. 1 spot among listeners age 12 and over in the summer Arbitron ratings book.

The previous No. 1 station in the spring book, rhythmic contemporary hit station WPOW-FM (96.5), slipped to No. 3 while urban contemporary WEDR-FM (99.1) nudged up one place to No. 2.

A hip-hop or urban station had been No. 1 since 1998.

Despite WLYF's triumph, South Florida's love of hip-hop isn't fading as the other big news is that urban contemporary WMIB-FM (103.5) zoomed from eighth to fourth place, tying with the Spanish-language WCMQ-FM (92.3) which had been No. 6.

Meanwhile, urban adult contemporary WHQT-FM (105.1) fell slightly from fifth to sixth place, Spanish-language WAMR-FM (107.1) slipped from fourth to seventh place and smooth-jazz WLVE-FM (93.9) made it into the Top 10, moving from No. 12 to No. 8. Spanish-language talk WAQI-FM (710) dipped one point to No. 9 and oldies WMXJ-FM (102.7), which had tied with WAQI in the spring book, fell to No. 10.

Beneath the top 10, contemporary hit WHYI-FM (100.7) edged up from No. 13 to No. 12 and there was a four-way tie for the 14th spot with talk WQAM-AM (560) sailing from No. 22, alternative rock WZTA-FM (94.9) moving up from 18, and classic-rock WBGG-FM (105.9) moving from No. 17, and country WKIS-FM (99.9) falling from No. 13.

Classical-music WKAT-AM (1360), which recently underwent a tweaking of its format, moved up from 25th to 23rd place.

I wonder how much the Marlins had to do with WQAM beating WIOD in the books for the first time ever? :p WQAM Sucks!

WQAM without Marlins = Nothing!

:marlins

Guest marlins02

i hear 99 jamz was having bad ratings and thats why they fired the people on their morning show and i think they changed their 10:00 format from R&B to straight hip-hop which i really dont like because i feel like listening to slow stuff at that time

good to hear that the Marlins are actually affecting ratings rankings in a good way