August 7, 200719 yr sooooo I guess this mean Quentin is the odd man out next year :mis2 link to Byrnes story on ESPN.com
August 7, 200719 yr DAMNIT!!! if he had become a free agent it would have been almost a sure thing for him to sign with the Giants
August 7, 200719 yr If they werent in 1st place I figure they would have traded Byrnes for some pitching help and would have gone with Quentin or Carlos Gonzalez. But Quentin, Gonzalez, Young, Upton, Byrnes, stacked system.
August 7, 200719 yr Byrnes is crazy and plays his heart out, and now he gets to cash in. Good for him.
August 8, 200719 yr had to be done - byrnes is the most popular guy on the team and really the only marketable face - with quentin having a tough go of it and gonzalez not quite ready it makes good sense they could trade those guys for some arms and leave byrnes, upton & young in the outfield - that's a good string of starters for the next few years
August 8, 200719 yr I love Brynesy and I am glad he is getting paid, but no way do I pay him 10 mil. a year.
August 8, 200719 yr they both bended in their negotiations - he would of taken less money over 5 years - club didn't want to sign him for more than $3M all season long they were talking like he was a goner last nights walkup attendance was about 5k with the pirates in town the club really had no other choice - fans aren't usually rationale - many people are upset still that they didn't keep gonzalez around
August 8, 200719 yr the club really had no other choice - fans aren't usually rationale - many people are upset still that they didn't keep gonzalez around Yep. When I went to the national championship game, I stopped in scottsdale to visit my Uncle and Aunt. Got on the topic of Gonzo, and he went on a big ass rant about the organization, and he deffinatly isn't the only one that felt that way. If they got rid of Byrnes, that fan base would have been completely livid.
August 8, 200719 yr The only prospects of theirs I am really sold on are Upton and Young (whose not really a prospect anymore). The rest seem like they may end up busts.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.