Catcher option

I have seen you guys mention LO Duca, Kendall, among others but why hasn't the name Ramon Hernandez surfaced, I was leaning towards the possibility of nailing a trade with the O's to get him. Do you guys see him as a reliable option, his amount of games played last year lead me to think he's been injured, do you see him as the answer to our short term problem, if so what would it take to get him? :mis2

I have seen you guys mention LO Duca, Kendall, among others but why hasn't the name Ramon Hernandez surfaced, I was leaning towards the possibility of nailing a trade with the O's to get him. Do you guys see him as a reliable option, his amount of games played last year lead me to think he's been injured, do you see him as the answer to our short term problem, if so what would it take to get him? :mis2

Ramon Hernandez c

4 years/$27.5M (2006-09), plus $8.5M 2010 club option

* signed as a free agent 12/05

* 06:$4.5M, 07:$6.5M, 08:$7.5M, 09:$8M, 10:$8.5M club option ($1M buyout)

Not a big fan of absorbing $16.5 million for two seasons. Can't see the Orioles eating a large chunk of that, when they can go to someone like the Mets, or Cubs, or maybe even the Nationals, who would probably gobble up that cash

You realize this is the Florida Marlins we're talking about, right?

You realize this is the Florida Marlins we're talking about, right?

I completely understand, but I also believe that in the right deal the O's would eat salary, at this point they seem desperate to rid themselves of Hernandez, I was just trying to see what you guys thought of this situation, and if the Marlins are even looking to make this splash. I mean am sure it's crossed Beinfest mind.

I completely understand, but I also believe that in the right deal the O's would eat salary, at this point they seem desperate to rid themselves of Hernandez, I was just trying to see what you guys thought of this situation, and if the Marlins are even looking to make this splash. I mean am sure it's crossed Beinfest mind.

In the right deal where they would eat salary, meaning give up Volstad or Sinkbeil, I'm sure they would eat a lot of salary, but why would the Marlins do that? We are not contenders. We are building for a year or two down the road by all indications with the imminent trade of Cabrera. Ramon makes no sense. Show me a catcher that can play neutral defense and can hit a mid 700 OPS or better, that is a few years from arbitration, and we can talk.

There aren't to many of those.

In the right deal where they would eat salary, meaning give up Volstad or Sinkbeil, I'm sure they would eat a lot of salary, but why would the Marlins do that? We are not contenders. We are building for a year or two down the road by all indications with the imminent trade of Cabrera. Ramon makes no sense. Show me a catcher that can play neutral defense and can hit a mid 700 OPS or better, that is a few years from arbitration, and we can talk.

Good point, but a good catcher could lead us closer to being contenders. For right now, we don't have any upcoming blue chip prospects at the position, so if we can buy low why not?

Good point, but a good catcher could lead us closer to being contenders. For right now, we don't have any upcoming blue chip prospects at the position, so if we can buy low why not?

You don't give up one of your better arms for an aging catcher with this left on his contract (08:$7.5M, 09:$8M, 10:$8.5M club option ($1M buyout)). Especially when Ramon Hernandez is far from being a young guy that can join the rest of this young core of talent

And giving up Volstad or Sink for him would not be considered buying low

No, and not buying low.

Getting healthy, staying healthy, and allowing the minor league pitching class (Volstad, Gaby H., Tucker, Thompson, Sinkbeil, Correa, H. Garcia, West) to join the major league class (Olsen, Johnson, Anibal, Nolasco, Vanden Hurk, Lindstrom, Owens, Pinto, Tank, Kensing, C. Martinez) is when the team is going to make the jump. A veteran catcher is going to make a negligible difference to pitching performance to push this team from 75 wins to 90+ wins. And in the case of Ramon, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. We need a young catcher to groom and who we'll have for the 09-12 seasons, based on all of those pitchers being under control.

Good point, but a good catcher could lead us closer to being contenders.

No, it won't. Catcher is a position where you can afford to have a liability.

What do you call a liability? I believe Olivo would meet the criteria of liability

LoDuca's problems have more to do with his aggressiveness behind the plate and subsequently being injured to the extreme. He calls a good game, handles pitchers well and offensively is still right up there, his problem is staying healthy.

This time around, were he to sign here I suspect you would see a lot more of Matt Treanor than his first hitch.

I'm not in favor of his return nor against it, and neither am I Olivo's "if" he can prove that he's made strides defensively and is willing to take less money. The off-season provides a number of players here and elsewhere the time to work on their shortcomings and it's always interesting to see who invested in their futures (and themselves) during that period.

While we're on the subject regarding catchers on the trading block, why haven't I heard anyone mention Gerald Laird from the Rangers?

Because he sucks and is not worth young pitching.

Salty or Teagarden though, would be an excellent piece for Train.

No chance in hell you get Salty for Willis.

The Rangers just gave up Teixeira to get him, why would they flip him so quickly and for just Willis?

I imagine the Rangers want to keep Salty as a cost controlled cog on their team for quite some time.

While we're on the subject regarding catchers on the trading block, why haven't I heard anyone mention Gerald Laird from the Rangers?

Because he sucks and is not worth young pitching.

Salty or Teagarden though, would be an excellent piece for Train.

No chance in hell you get Salty for Willis.

The Rangers just gave up Teixeira to get him, why would they flip him so quickly and for just Willis?

I imagine the Rangers want to keep Salty as a cost controlled cog on their team for quite some time.

Did I say they would give him up? I just said he would be excellent if we could move Dontrelle for one of them.

Why go through the charade of trading Teixeira for Salty when you ultimately only want a pitcher the caliber of Willis as a net gain in that trade?

Salty is one of the top young prospects in baseball right now at a premium position. He would take much, much more than Dontrelle Willis. I think some of you value his worth in a trade more than it might realistically be.

He is coming off a season with an ERA+ of 83 and played the majority of his games in a very good pitcher's park. Since his Cy Young caliber season in 2005 all his peripheral numbers that you don't want to go up, have gone up. BB, H, and HR are up and his SO totals and rate are going down.

Salty is probably as untouchable a player as an organization has. You don't trade the centerpiece in a trade that sent away an all-star player to trade him half a season later for an average to below average starting pitcher.