MiLB.com: Volstad 39th best prospect

Ramp

The first of five pitchers the Marlins took before the second round of the 2005 draft, Volstad is right on track or ahead of it, reaching Double-A by age 20. With a heavy sinking fastball in the low 90s, Volstad throws a lot of strikes and induces a ton of ground balls. He's got an outstanding curve and changeup to go along with the heater.

Volstad is still learning the nuances of pitching and gave up too many hits in 2007. But he rose to the challenge of a promotion to Double-A. At 6-foot-7 and just 21 years old, some think he may add velocity to his fastball as he matures. He may start the year back with Carolina, but at the rate he's going, don't expect him to stay there long.

You can watch a video of him here

On another note, you should stop smoking whatever it is you're smoking. Our minor leaguer pitchers are NOT top prospects.

I guess Volstad needed to be 38. Damn.

Our highest rated prospect is No. 39. That's not good compared to other teams.

We probably have 2 or 3 in the top 100. That's not good compared to other teams.

But go ahead believing our system is stacked with can't-miss pitching prospects that will end up as good MLB starters.

On another note, you should stop smoking whatever it is you're smoking. Our minor leaguer pitchers are NOT top prospects.

We probably have 2 or 3 in the top 100. That's not good compared to other teams.

But go ahead believing our system is stacked with can't-miss pitching prospects that will end up as good MLB starters.

Who Cares. It's subjective.

Don't believe they are can't miss, but I think when you have 18-20 MLB capable arms who are 20-24, and you are about to trade off Cabrera/Willis and probably add some more to that, chances are very good half of them will develop comparative to what they are all doing in their MLB careers so far.

And to finish, you really need to look at BA's list and realize guys who turn out to be really good are nowhere on it sometimes and guys rated really high, do nothing. Our pitching depth, is pretty good. Woe is us we don't have a # 1 like Kershaw, and just a collection of ten 2/3/4 types, and another ten relievers who can touch 95!. Woe is us!

Don't believe they are can't miss, but I think when you have 18-20 MLB capable arms who are 20-24, and you are about to trade off Cabrera/Willis and probably add some more to that, chances are very good half of them will develop comparative to what they are all doing in their MLB careers so far.

And to finish, you really need to look at BA's list and realize guys who turn out to be really good are nowhere on it sometimes and guys rated really high, do nothing. Our pitching depth, is pretty good. Woe is us we don't have a # 1 like Kershaw, and just a collection of ten 2/3/4 types, and another ten relievers who can touch 95!. Woe is us!

I like the subjective reference almost as much as the luck ones.

I think your chances of making it big if you're widely regarded as a top 50 prospect are MUCH higher than if you're not widely regarded as a top 100. Do you disagree?

and you guys should remember that it's Mike Berardino coming up with our top 30 for BA

it's not guys who watch these players everyday

I would pay more attention to their overall list than to each teams indivisdual list. I don't know how Berardino comes up with his list but I would think it's heavily based on discussions with several scouts, some from our team, some from other teams, while taking what our guys say with a grain of salt, and then coming up with his conclusions.

I don't remember seeing Josh Johnson all over prospect lists and yet he turned in a better rookie season than almost any of their top prospects two years ago.

I'm almost positive Josh was a top 50 prospect in '06.

He was 80th..

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...ures/26660.html

That has got to be one of the sickest top 100's in the last 20 years. That list has like 30+ bad ass players plus another 25 easy that are now top guys.

And it looks like the biggest bust is good old Yusmerio Petit in the 60's. Did they really pass up Milledge for him?

and you guys should remember that it's Mike Berardino coming up with our top 30 for BA

I would pay more attention to their overall list than to each teams indivisdual list. I don't know how Berardino comes up with his list but I would think it's heavily based on discussions with several scouts, some from our team, some from other teams, while taking what our guys say with a grain of salt, and then coming up with his conclusions.

First, your assertion of a top 50 prospect on BA making it versus someone else, I fail to see a point of how this makes the list better. Of course they are going to mostly get that right. Especially the hitters, but it's not exclusive which is the problem. You flip out if a guy isn't on a list! As you already pointed out, Johnson was never rated as high as Anibal or Olsen, and he did just fine. It's very hard to project a 21 year olds, who might still be growing and more importantly learning. Shields is another good example as I believe he hovered way back on the top 100 also. Just thinking off the top of my head, the Pittsburgh guys (Duke versus Snell and Gorzellaney), was Owings or any of the Colorado kids, who pitched them to the world series ever considered really good? Hell, Carmona's status was probably awesome entering this year. Where's Anthony Reyes?

As per what I quoted, scouts, who view Ryan Tucker's "stuff" better than guys like Gaby and Thompson's "arsenal," drive me insane. Those later two are so much safer as SP prospects and easily more valuable, but scouts love "stuff." If Tucker pulls it together, he'll be better cause of the fastball. Great! But the chances of that aren't usually accounted for in these lists. They shoot for sheer upside versus stability. I call this Daniel Cabrera Syndrome. If you develop a guy who can eat 180 innings at a 1.35 whip, you've done one hell of a job in scouting young pitching. If you develop a monster like Peavy or Haren, that isn't the norm and you can't expect to get an arsenal of those level prospects. That's all BA wants to find. Which is fine, but it seems to give a side effect to their readers of severely undervaluing guys who can just simply play in the majors. This goes back to your crazy comment about you wouldn't take 6 players - Kendrick, Adenhart, Willits, Mathis, E. Santana, and Saunders - for Cabrera. That is mind-boggling crazy. That trade could literally be 550+ decent innings pitched in 2009 with 3 positional starters (we shall give Mathis the benefit of the doubt in this tangent), lopped onto everything we have already. We would be so loaded with young guys who can play right now, we could only wish something so awesome like that would happen so we could trade off excess to become even more loaded with younger prospects.

As for the Marlins, let's say the 4 player Angels deal happens. For 2009, assuming no injuries we're looking at this. All basically MLB ready by midseason in a realistic scenario.

SP Options - Johnson, Anibal, Olsen, Volstad, Adenhart, Gaby H., Thompson, Sinkbeil, Nolasco, Vanden Hurk, Tucker

RP Options - Owens, Lindstrom, Pinto, Tank, Kensing, C. Martinez, H. Garcia

First, I can't even fathom the nasty the bullpen is going to have for the next half decade when a starting 5 emerge from that cluster and the bullpen is a war path of 95 mph screamers and sliders. Second, you can have a 50% failure rate, and basically field a staff. Yea. No Kershaw, No Lincecum, No Kazmir there. But that could be a huge collection of 2/3/4 starters with a devastating bullpen. This team is going to be really good when all of this makes it to the bigs 09-12ish. And it does not matter they are predominantly not high rated BA prospects. They can play. Beinfest did a pretty good job assembling them. Marceaux seems to be the only one who looks helpless.

That has got to be one of the sickest top 100's in the last 20 years. That list has like 30+ bad ass players plus another 25 easy that are now top guys.

And it looks like the biggest bust is good old Yusmerio Petit in the 60's. Did they really pass up Milledge for him?

14 Andy Marte and 26 Joel Guzman seem to be pretty big busts to me. A few other skeptical names where you'd like to see performance return (looking at you Olsen) too.

I don't remember seeing Josh Johnson all over prospect lists and yet he turned in a better rookie season than almost any of their top prospects two years ago.

I'm almost positive Josh was a top 50 prospect in '06.

He was 80th..

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...ures/26660.html

I didn't say he wasn't on there at all, just that he wasn't close to the top on any lists. I'm always shocked at how many good pitchers seem to work their way up to the majors without ever being mentioned on top prospect lists while some get granted elite status yet do very little to show for it.

First, your assertion of a top 50 prospect on BA making it versus someone else, I fail to see a point of how this makes the list better. Of course they are going to mostly get that right. Especially the hitters, but it's not exclusive which is the problem. You flip out if a guy isn't on a list! As you already pointed out, Johnson was never rated as high as Anibal or Olsen, and he did just fine. It's very hard to project a 21 year olds, who might still be growing and more importantly learning. Shields is another good example as I believe he hovered way back on the top 100 also. Just thinking off the top of my head, the Pittsburgh guys (Duke versus Snell and Gorzellaney), was Owings or any of the Colorado kids, who pitched them to the world series ever considered really good? Hell, Carmona's status was probably awesome entering this year. Where's Anthony Reyes?

As per what I quoted, scouts, who view Ryan Tucker's "stuff" better than guys like Gaby and Thompson's "arsenal," drive me insane. Those later two are so much safer as SP prospects and easily more valuable, but scouts love "stuff." If Tucker pulls it together, he'll be better cause of the fastball. Great! But the chances of that aren't usually accounted for in these lists. They shoot for sheer upside versus stability. I call this Daniel Cabrera Syndrome. If you develop a guy who can eat 180 innings at a 1.35 whip, you've done one hell of a job in scouting young pitching. If you develop a monster like Peavy or Haren, that isn't the norm and you can't expect to get an arsenal of those level prospects. That's all BA wants to find. Which is fine, but it seems to give a side effect to their readers of severely undervaluing guys who can just simply play in the majors. This goes back to your crazy comment about you wouldn't take 6 players - Kendrick, Adenhart, Willits, Mathis, E. Santana, and Saunders - for Cabrera. That is mind-boggling crazy. That trade could literally be 550+ decent innings pitched in 2009 with 3 positional starters (we shall give Mathis the benefit of the doubt in this tangent), lopped onto everything we have already. We would be so loaded with young guys who can play right now, we could only wish something so awesome like that would happen so we could trade off excess to become even more loaded with younger prospects.

As for the Marlins, let's say the 4 player Angels deal happens. For 2009, assuming no injuries we're looking at this. All basically MLB ready by midseason in a realistic scenario.

SP Options - Johnson, Anibal, Olsen, Volstad, Adenhart, Gaby H., Thompson, Sinkbeil, Nolasco, Vanden Hurk, Tucker

RP Options - Owens, Lindstrom, Pinto, Tank, Kensing, C. Martinez, H. Garcia

First, I can't even fathom the nasty the bullpen is going to have for the next half decade when a starting 5 emerge from that cluster and the bullpen is a war path of 95 mph screamers and sliders. Second, you can have a 50% failure rate, and basically field a staff. Yea. No Kershaw, No Lincecum, No Kazmir there. But that could be a huge collection of 2/3/4 starters with a devastating bullpen. This team is going to be really good when all of this makes it to the bigs 09-12ish. And it does not matter they are predominantly not high rated BA prospects. They can play. Beinfest did a pretty good job assembling them. Marceaux seems to be the only one who looks helpless.

I don't think I've seen a post that made so many great points in a long time. BA top prospect lists cause everyone in the baseball world to overrate a select few guys with high ceilings while undervaluing all the other minor league guys.