More on Maybin, BA, Sickels

Ramp

Because of the timing of the list/trade, Maybin won't appear on either the Marlins top 10 or the Tigers top 10, but here is the writeup from BA if he was a Marlin 2 weeks ago

Cameron Maybin, of Born: April 4, 1987 ? B-T: R-R ? Ht: 6-4 ? Wt: 205 Drafted: HS?Asheville, NC, 2005 (1st round) ? Signed by: Bill Buck

Background: Because other teams preferred college players or had questions about his signability, Maybin fell to the Tigers at No. 10 in the 2005 draft. He signed for $2.65 million after missing his first pro summer while negotiating the deal. The Tigers truly had no plans to promote Maybin to the big leagues in 2007. He turned 20 in April and performed well at high Class A Lakeland before losing one month of developmental time with a partial dislocation of his right shoulder, an injury that cost him the chance to play in the Futures Game. When Maybin was promoted to Double-A Erie in early August, Detroit general manager Dave Dombrowski said he was not among the candidates for a September callup. That changed quickly. Maybin crushed Eastern League pitchers during a scorching, four-homers-in-six-games tour. The Tigers needed a spark in the midst of a pennant race and summoned Maybin to the majors on Aug. 17. He debuted at Yankee Stadium and hit his first big league home run against Roger Clemens the next day. Inexperience, though, prevented his talent from emerging on a regular basis during his six-week stay. By the end of the season, he was being utilized primarily as a pinch runner. Maybin reported to the Arizona Fall League in order to get more at-bats, but his work there was curtailed by a slight left shoulder strain that was not believed to be serious. Maybin was the youngest player on his Fall League team, further evidence of how quickly he has advanced. The Tigers packaged Maybin and lefthander Andrew Miller, the sixth overall pick in 2006, and four other players to the Marlins at the Winter Meetings, landing third baseman Miguel Cabrera and lefthander Dontrelle Willis.

Strengths: Maybin remained remarkably composed throughout the year, a tribute to his makeup. Of course, it helps to have five-tool ability. He has plus-plus speed on the bases and was successful in all five of his steal attempts in the big leagues. He has a big frame and tremendous overall strength, which is evident in his incredible raw power to all fields. Still, he's not afraid to hit the ball on the ground. With his speed, that will mean plenty of infield singles, and he's comfortable taking pitches up the middle and into right field.

Weaknesses: Maybin's time in the majors brought out some flaws in his game that should be corrected in time. He has trouble recognizing some breaking pitches, which partially explains his elevated strikeout totals. He takes some bad reads in the outfield, although his straight-ahead speed usually allows him to recover. He has good arm strength, but his throws lacked consistency and accuracy last year, perhaps a result of the midseason shoulder injury. Maybin struggled initially with the adjustment to left field?where he played in the majors, because of Curtis Granderson's presence in center?but he should be able to handle the switch if the Tigers move him there in the long term.

The Future: All the tools are there for Maybin to be an all star who hits 20-25 home runs every year. The comparisons to Torii Hunter seem fair, and scouts highest on Maybin see him as a young Andre Dawson. He handled his struggles in Detroit with class and earned immediate respect from the team's veterans, which bodes well for his long-term success. He will be more experienced?and probably more successful?when he gets his next call to the majors. With no real center-field obstacle in Florida, Maybin should get an early and extended trial as the Marlins' regular.

Uh oh, PECOTA is not that high on Maybin. Damn it, Beinfest! What are you thinking?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfilter...91/?affiliate=3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PECOTA doesn't normally like toolsy guys

I mean, pecota was really down on hanley too from his minor league numbers. Of course, i think that he was more of an exception to statistical projection than the rule, but he does prove how, like you were saying, those tools guys can surprise. It's easy to look at some strikeout totals and be discouraged, but I do think that when there is such rapid progress through a minor league system, it's hard to differentiate between real weaknesses and adjustments to a new level. I think that Maybin is certainly in a better position to succeed than Hanley was.

• 2 weeks later...

Cameron Maybin, OF, Florida Marlins

Bats: R Throws: R HT: 6-3 WT: 200 DOB: April 4, 1987

The centerpiece prospect in the Miguel Cabrera trade, Maybin could be Florida's Opening Day center fielder. I think that is rushing things; he's not ready yet. He had major problems controlling the strike zone during his major league trial late last summer. This is hardly damning: he was just 20 years old, with all of six Double-A games under his belt. In the minors, Maybin showed a good walk rate. He struck out a lot, but his bat speed (and his running speed) kept his batting average high. His production in the Florida State League was excellent with a +23 percent OPS. He's also a very good center fielder. The only real negative I see, other than the elevated strikeout rate, is injuries. He had hamstring problems in '06, and a shoulder injury cost him a month of playing time in '07. His type of wiry-strong body is often prone to muscle pulls and cramps, and that could slow his development a bit. Now, for all of his success, there are some skeptics out there among the stathead community. Maybin hits the ball on the ground a lot, and while this enables him to beat out infield hits with his speed, it may slow his power development. Some people think it may stall his development altogether, although I don't buy that. I'm more worried about the strikeouts eating into his batting average if he is rushed, and the Marlins may very well rush him. If it were up to me, Maybin would go to Double-A to begin '08, with a promotion to Triple-A on tap in late June if he's playing well, then a chance to start in the majors in '09. In the long run, Maybin should be a 20-25 homer hitter with a high batting average, a solid OBP, and 30-40 steals, at least when he's younger. Grade A-.

John Sickels

Cameron Maybin, OF, Florida Marlins

Bats: R Throws: R HT: 6-3 WT: 200 DOB: April 4, 1987

The centerpiece prospect in the Miguel Cabrera trade, Maybin could be Florida's Opening Day center fielder. I think that is rushing things; he's not ready yet. He had major problems controlling the strike zone during his major league trial late last summer. This is hardly damning: he was just 20 years old, with all of six Double-A games under his belt. In the minors, Maybin showed a good walk rate. He struck out a lot, but his bat speed (and his running speed) kept his batting average high. His production in the Florida State League was excellent with a +23 percent OPS. He's also a very good center fielder. The only real negative I see, other than the elevated strikeout rate, is injuries. He had hamstring problems in '06, and a shoulder injury cost him a month of playing time in '07. His type of wiry-strong body is often prone to muscle pulls and cramps, and that could slow his development a bit. Now, for all of his success, there are some skeptics out there among the stathead community. Maybin hits the ball on the ground a lot, and while this enables him to beat out infield hits with his speed, it may slow his power development. Some people think it may stall his development altogether, although I don't buy that. I'm more worried about the strikeouts eating into his batting average if he is rushed, and the Marlins may very well rush him. If it were up to me, Maybin would go to Double-A to begin '08, with a promotion to Triple-A on tap in late June if he's playing well, then a chance to start in the majors in '09. In the long run, Maybin should be a 20-25 homer hitter with a high batting average, a solid OBP, and 30-40 steals, at least when he's younger. Grade A-.

John Sickels

He is not a Full A prospects because of his tendency to strike out a lot but watch out next season. Dawson, Eric Davis are named mentioned in comparison. I have one more...Willy Mays!

I agree with Sickels about rushing Maybin. And there is really no need to do so. We can make do with DeAza, Carroll, Ross (and, hell, maybe even Amazega occasionally) in CF until Maybin gets a little more seasoning.

The strikeouts are somewhat of a concern, but they would be a lot more of a concern if he showed no plate discipline whatsoever, which is simply not the case. He knows how to draw a walk. That bodes well for his ability to cut down on the K's as he matures. This is something that would be better to work on in the minors rather than figuring it out against big league pitching.

I agree with Sickels about rushing Maybin. And there is really no need to do so. We can make do with DeAza, Carroll, Ross (and, hell, maybe even Amazega occasionally) in CF until Maybin gets a little more seasoning.

The strikeouts are somewhat of a concern, but they would be a lot more of a concern if he showed no plate discipline whatsoever, which is simply not the case. He knows how to draw a walk. That bodes well for his ability to cut down on the K's as he matures. This is something that would be better to work on in the minors rather than figuring it out against big league pitching.

Thats true, let him get as many AB's in Spring Training and when he is ready we can call him up later on in the season.

The problem is that Fredi will want to play Amezaga in CF everyday. The best thing Beinfest could do is trade Amezaga, Fredi just can't get off Amezaga's jock, I say start the season platooning Carroll and cody. Maybin needs to work on hitting the breaking ball. I can't wait to see him start in CF