Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Next spring

Featured Replies

So how many different starting pitchers do we have competing for a spot next spring? I'm hoping no one is guranateed at the start of sapring. Make them all earn it...

 

Scott Olsen

Ricky Nolasco

Andrew Miller

Sergio Mitre

Eulogio De La Cruz

Rick VandenHurk

Gaby Hernandez

Chris Volstad

Dallas Trahern

Daniel Barone

Chris Seddon

 

Plus we have Anibal and Josh when they get back...

 

You can add to the list...

So how many different starting pitchers do we have competing for a spot next spring? I'm hoping no one is guranateed at the start of sapring. Make them all earn it...

 

Scott Olsen

Ricky Nolasco

Andrew Miller

Sergio Mitre

Eulogio De La Cruz - Doubt it

Rick VandenHurk

Gaby Hernandez

Chris Volstad

Dallas Trahern

Daniel Barone - NO

Chris Seddon - NO

 

Plus we have Anibal and Josh when they get back...

 

You can add to the list...

 

But at the very least, watching Volstad and Gaby perhaps get their shot would be fun.

obviously depends on if Cruz goes back to starting, and Trahern won't be ready

 

I think our 5, in no order is RVH, Miller, Olsen, Nolasco, Mitre

 

If Nolasco goes to the pen, I think Gaby wins the job

De La Cruz is pure bullpen and JJ won't be back until 2009 unless I missed something.

obviously depends on if Cruz goes back to starting, and Trahern won't be ready

 

I think our 5, in no order is RVH, Miller, Olsen, Nolasco, Mitre

 

If Nolasco goes to the pen, I think Gaby wins the job

 

 

isn't anibal suppose to be ready by spring training?

obviously depends on if Cruz goes back to starting, and Trahern won't be ready

 

I think our 5, in no order is RVH, Miller, Olsen, Nolasco, Mitre

 

If Nolasco goes to the pen, I think Gaby wins the job

 

 

isn't anibal suppose to be ready by spring training?

you could be right

 

either way we got a bunch of arms for so few spots

If RVH doesn't make the rotation is he sent back to the minors or could he be in the bullpen?

 

I mean, in the minors he'd get more playing time, but he's already dominated there. Getting more MLB experience, any at all, would be great.

 

And that K rate in the bullpen would be sick. Man if he can just learn to not walk people he's going to be real nasty.

If Barone or Seddon make the rotation, it would be a travesty.

I really think Sinkbeil is in the mix, especially after his winter in Hawaii.

he doesn't have an inning past A Ball

I really think Sinkbeil is in the mix, especially after his winter in Hawaii.

 

 

Considering how few of INN he pitched last year, I'd really perfer to see him in the minors next year to build up those INN.

I really think Sinkbeil is in the mix, especially after his winter in Hawaii.

he doesn't have an inning past A Ball

 

I definitely don't feel like he is in the rotation opening day, but after some consistency in Carolina, I feel he will be on the radar.

 

I mean, he's been throwing consistent innings for almost 6 years now at a higher competition (college ball) level than Volstad and Hurk.

I really think Sinkbeil is in the mix, especially after his winter in Hawaii.

he doesn't have an inning past A Ball

 

I definitely don't feel like he is in the rotation opening day, but after some consistency in Carolina, I feel he will be on the radar.

 

I mean, he's been throwing consistent innings for almost 6 years now at a higher competition (college ball) level than Volstad and Hurk.

I wouldn't say consistent

 

he's been hurt each of the last 3 years at some point

 

but I do believe at some point in 2008, he'll get his shot... then again I expected to see Gaby last year

I really think Sinkbeil is in the mix, especially after his winter in Hawaii.

he doesn't have an inning past A Ball

 

I definitely don't feel like he is in the rotation opening day, but after some consistency in Carolina, I feel he will be on the radar.

 

I mean, he's been throwing consistent innings for almost 6 years now at a higher competition (college ball) level than Volstad and Hurk.

I wouldn't say consistent

 

he's been hurt each of the last 3 years at some point

 

but I do believe at some point in 2008, he'll get his shot... then again I expected to see Gaby last year

 

You're right, he has been injured.

Ramp, you have any know on S. West?

 

He's supposed to be good to go from the beginning of the season, correct?

Ramp, you have any know on S. West?

 

He's supposed to be good to go from the beginning of the season, correct?

I can't remember where I saw it, but yea I think he should be good to go

Is RVH pitching in the winter leagues anywhere? All that kid needs is control and he'll be a solid 2-3, maybe even a lower tier 1.

Is RVH pitching in the winter leagues anywhere? All that kid needs is control and he'll be a solid 2-3, maybe even a lower tier 1.

 

Nah, no winter ball for RVH. He could be a solid 2 or 3 in a couple years. I don't know about an ace, but he might have to be this year.

 

His control will come with a couple years with of ML innings. I love watching that hammercurve.

obviously depends on if Cruz goes back to starting, and Trahern won't be ready

 

I think our 5, in no order is RVH, Miller, Olsen, Nolasco, Mitre

 

If Nolasco goes to the pen, I think Gaby wins the job

 

 

Just curious why you say Trahern wont be ready. Out of all the minor leaguers available, he was chosen to pitch and start for Team USA this offseason. This is after he had already been chosen for the AFL, which by most accounts is for those players who are closest to the Major leagues.

 

I know this, Dallas is going to do his best to earn a spot in the Marlins rotation.

Is RVH pitching in the winter leagues anywhere? All that kid needs is control and he'll be a solid 2-3, maybe even a lower tier 1.

 

Nah, no winter ball for RVH. He could be a solid 2 or 3 in a couple years. I don't know about an ace, but he might have to be this year.

 

His control will come with a couple years with of ML innings. I love watching that hammercurve.

 

Bucklin,

 

That is a sweet picture of Dallas. His dad has two of those cards.

obviously depends on if Cruz goes back to starting, and Trahern won't be ready

 

I think our 5, in no order is RVH, Miller, Olsen, Nolasco, Mitre

 

If Nolasco goes to the pen, I think Gaby wins the job

 

 

Just curious why you say Trahern wont be ready. Out of all the minor leaguers available, he was chosen to pitch and start for Team USA this offseason. This is after he had already been chosen for the AFL, which by most accounts is for those players who are closest to the Major leagues.

 

I know this, Dallas is going to do his best to earn a spot in the Marlins rotation.

He's young, and has a whole bunch of arms ahead of him... prob needs another year

obviously depends on if Cruz goes back to starting, and Trahern won't be ready

 

I think our 5, in no order is RVH, Miller, Olsen, Nolasco, Mitre

 

If Nolasco goes to the pen, I think Gaby wins the job

 

 

Just curious why you say Trahern wont be ready. Out of all the minor leaguers available, he was chosen to pitch and start for Team USA this offseason. This is after he had already been chosen for the AFL, which by most accounts is for those players who are closest to the Major leagues.

 

I know this, Dallas is going to do his best to earn a spot in the Marlins rotation.

He's young, and has a whole bunch of arms ahead of him... prob needs another year

 

Thanks for responding. I was just curious. I think he will surprise you though. Do you see him at AAA?

 

Can you tell me about the arms you think are in front of him. I was looking at the ERA of the Marlins starters and they were very high. I think most would argue that the National league is known for pitching, and the American League is known for hitting.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.