Nationals sign

El Guapo

Backup infielder Aaron Boone agreed to a one-year, $1 million contract Thursday with the Washington Nationals, who also avoided arbitration with outfielders Wily Mo Pena and Ryan Langerhans.

Pena agreed to a deal that would pay him $4 million over two years if he picks up a mutual option for 2009, or $7 million if the team exercises its option. Langerhans would earn $500,000 if he's in the majors next season and $300,000 in the minors.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 34-year-old Boone gives the Nationals an experienced backup at first, second and third base and a clubhouse leader who could help mentor the team's young players.

"That's very important for the leadership of our club," manager Manny Acta said before leaving the winter meetings at the Opryland Hotel.

Boone is a career .265 hitter with 120 home runs, 527 RBIs and 107 stolen bases over 10 seasons. He was an NL All-Star with Cincinnati in 2003, when he batted a combined .267 with 24 home runs, 96 RBIs and 23 stolen bases for the Reds and Yankees.

Boone's 11th-inning homer against Boston in Game 7 won the 2003 AL championship series for New York. But the next winter he blew out his left knee playing basketball and missed the entire '04 season.

He spent two years with Cleveland and this season hit .286 with five homers and 28 RBIs in 69 games for the Florida Marlins before going on the disabled list June 25 and having season-ending arthroscopic surgery on the same knee.

"The reports we have is that he's 100 percent back from his knee surgery," Acta said.

Pena batted .293 with eight homers and 22 RBIs in 37 games for Washington after joining the team in an Aug. 17 trade with the Red Sox. The Nationals averaged 3.9 runs per game before he arrived and 5 per game afterward.

"I don't think we had anybody intimidating in our lineup" before Pena was acquired, Acta said.

Langerhans, 27, combined for six home runs and 23 RBIs in 125 big league games with Washington, Oakland and Atlanta this season.

1MiL.. The Marlins couldnt afford 1 MiL. to keep Boone....

Maybe the Marlins didn't want an injury prone player? I like the job he did last season for the most part, but you can never count on him to be healthy.

It's 1 friggin' million man. I mean common. You can't get even the shittiest veteran backup for that much. Here we are thinking of trading for Helms, when he's going to make 2+ million AND give up a player for him, when we could have signed boone for 1 million? A starting 3rd baseman and/or backup and veteran presence for 1 million?? It's ridiculous, especially when 3b is now a glaring hole.

Boone > Helms

The Marlins disagree with you. They expressed zero interest in retaining Boone. One million dollars is not out of their range, but nevertheless it is a lot of money for this team.

Sure, he's cheaper than Helms, but where does that $1 million get them if he spends the entire season on the DL? Your "glaring hole" would remain unfilled.

If he got 200 ab's and hit .275, I'd say it was a success for 1 million.

Anything more, which he is damn capable of, would be a bonus. There's not many proven veteran guys that can still hit, out there for 1 million.

and don't give me the 1 million is too much b.s. We traded Cabrera and Willis to save money in the future. Not to say it will happen, but I'd say the team's highest budget this season is a paroll equivalent of last seasons.

I don't think you get it.

The Marlins disagree with you. They expressed zero interest in retaining Boone. One million dollars is not out of their range, but nevertheless it is a lot of money for this team.

Sure, he's cheaper than Helms, but where does that $1 million get them if he spends the entire season on the DL? Your "glaring hole" would remain unfilled.

Anything more, which he is damn capable of, would be a bonus. There's not many proven veteran guys that can still hit, out there for 1 million.

and don't give me the 1 million is too much b.s. We traded Cabrera and Willis to save money in the future. Not to say it will happen, but I'd say the team's highest budget this season is a paroll equivalent of last seasons.

I dont think you get it. There are numerous players that do about the same thing in free agency - Corey Koskie/Jorge Cantu/Jose Castillo/Javier Valentien/Tony Graffinino/Alex Cintron - maybe Marcus Giles/Mike Lamb/Pedro Feliz for a bit more. Plus trade candidates like Wes Helms/Josh Barfield/Andy Marte.

Look. Boone did a very nice job in 2007 but he isn't a key part to the team. There are a lot of guys that can fill that void. And personally I would rather get one of the younger ones like Jorge Cantu or trade for some of the indians guys who might actually have a shot at being on the team for more than a year versus paying for a bench guy for a season.

I dont think you get it. There are numerous players that do about the same thing in free agency - Corey Koskie/Jorge Cantu/Jose Castillo/Javier Valentien/Tony Graffinino/Alex Cintron - maybe Marcus Giles/Mike Lamb/Pedro Feliz for a bit more. Plus trade candidates like Wes Helms/Josh Barfield/Andy Marte.

Look. Boone did a very nice job in 2007 but he isn't a key part to the team. There are a lot of guys that can fill that void. And personally I would rather get one of the younger ones like Jorge Cantu or trade for some of the indians guys who might actually have a shot at being on the team for more than a year versus paying for a bench guy for a season.

Look. Most of those guys suck and/or will cost more than 1 million. Some of those guys are done too. And NONE will stay for more than a year successful or not - unless signed to a multi-year deal, which WON'T happen buddy. These players are not eligible for arbitration (for the most part), and that's how we keep players for more than a year (beginning arbitration years), if you haven't noticed.

All I was saying, was that it's going to be a chore to get a decent veteran player for less than 1 million that can play 3rd base and be a quality backup if called upon, but you want to keep this topic going, so hey bring it on b*tch.

Wait, do people seriously care about "Veteran influence?"

:mis2

for the purpose of team chemistry and having some amount of respect from other teams, yes I think it's important. In any case Boone is a better offensive player in every category....probably a better defensive one too....

for the purpose of team chemistry and having some amount of respect from other teams, yes I think it's important. In any case Boone is a better offensive player in every category....probably a better defensive one too....

Better than who? Helms? It's a push.

As far as the other things you mentioned, bollocks. I don't care about the other teams respecting us, and neither should you. They are major league baseball players, so why should we care if anyone respects us. And team chemistry? Thats a load of crap. When you win, you have good chemistry, when you lose, bad.

I don't agree with the whole "veteran influence" thing, but I realize you need some sort of veteran presence for the reasons you pointed out and for others as well. We need a minimal amount of veteran influence. Just a player or two. Not much, but you do need something. It's healthy for a team.

and Helm's .665 OPS last year when he had 280 at-bats? a drop of .300 points from 2006 doesn't exactly shout consistency. It's not like he's going to bounce back, it's a downward circle.

How can you possibly say that? It was his first sub-.700 season since 2004. He's only 31 years old too.

If cost isn't a factor and it's Boone vs. Helms, I'd take Helms any day of the week.

ooHHHHHH AAAAAHHHHH .700 OPS!!!!! Wow what a badass!

lol seriously... you make it sound like .700 is good?? You've got to be kidding me.

His only value is at a bench player/pinch hitter/spot starter. And you would have to pray for an OPS of .800.

Helms is going to give you a .240 avg, .300 OBP and 5-20 HRs depending how much hes sucking.

.240 hitters also have the danger of going below that, since they slump all the time. I'd rather have more consistancy with Boone, who I know can hit, field, run and supply a decent amount of power instead of Helms, who I know will stink up the joint, unless he gets lucky again and you ONLY platoon him so he hits against lefties. He's proven this so many times already.

He'd get 2+ million, you'd have to sacrifice a prospect and end up with mediocrity. This is great logic.

not to go all numbers on you but I would understand if there was a small drop off in his OPS, but 300 points is too large to ignore. You can't assume he's going to bounce back and hit the way he did even if he's used strictly against left-handed pitching. His numbers probably would look something like this: .235 avg, 6 homeruns, 24 RBI'S in 200 or so at-bat's......not worth 2 mil.... not to say Boone's numbers would be that much more impressive, only that Boone would have costed half the amount for slightly better production and defense.

and Helm's .665 OPS last year when he had 280 at-bats? a drop of .300 points from 2006 doesn't exactly shout consistency. It's not like he's going to bounce back, it's a downward circle.

How can you possibly say that? It was his first sub-.700 season since 2004. He's only 31 years old too.

If cost isn't a factor and it's Boone vs. Helms, I'd take Helms any day of the week.

ooHHHHHH AAAAAHHHHH .700 OPS!!!!! Wow what a badass!

lol seriously... you make it sound like .700 is good?? You've got to be kidding me.

His only value is at a bench player/pinch hitter/spot starter. And you would have to pray for an OPS of .800.

Helms is going to give you a .240 avg, .300 OBP and 5-20 HRs depending how much hes sucking.

.240 hitters also have the danger of going below that, since they slump all the time. I'd rather have more consistancy with Boone, who I know can hit, field, run and supply a decent amount of power instead of Helms, who I know will stink up the joint, unless he gets lucky again and you ONLY platoon him so he hits against lefties. He's proven this so many times already.

He'd get 2+ million, you'd have to sacrifice a prospect and end up with mediocrity. This is great logic.

Yeah, and how many .700+ seasons has Aaron Boone had over the past 3 seasons? Aside from his fluke 190 ABs this past season, Helms has been the more consistently better hitter over the last several seasons, even if you factor in his dip in performance with the Phillies. On top of that, Boone has shown no ability to stay healthy, so $1 million spent on him for a small market time is $1 million wasted if he has a severe DL stint. The Marlins have no one to play at third base if Boone takes a dive. The Marlins need someone who is at least likely to not be an injury risj.

It is absolutely amazing how you guys are classifying Boone as "consistent" and "better" even though he was just coming off of two terrible, sub .700 seasons before his limited tenure with Florida.

3 year totals for Boone/Helms:

Boone: 1054 AB / .253 AVG / .704 OPS

Helms: 688 AB / .288 AVG / .807 OPS

The latter player is also three years younger and is not an injury risk.

dude just drop it. you lost. Boone> Helms. Especially for half of the money and no need for a prospect to be traded. You can't win this one.

dude just drop it. you lost. Boone> Helms. Especially for half of the money and no need for a prospect to be traded. You can't win this one.

In his 189 ABs this season, Boone:

Walked more (Last year: 9.2%, career: 7%), leading to a career high OBP

Hit for the second highest AVG in his career, and quite above his career norm (Last year: .286, Career:.265) mostly thanks to a higher than norm BABIP (Last year: .333, Career: .291)

His highest ISO since 2003

And this was as a 34 year old. 34 year olds do not get better (Outside of substance help but this wasn't the case for Boone, it was the case of small sample size). Boone's gonna go back to his career norm next year and do considerably worse.

Atleast Helms can hammer LHP

And speaking of LHP, for all those wanting Boone back to sit Jacobs against LHP, last year he had a .605 OPS against LHP and for his career is worse against LHP than RHP.