Marlins fans did themselves proud

Marlins2003

I was very impressed by the Marlins' fans tonight with the send-off they gave Roger Clemens. It said alot about our fans, and about our city. We handled the national stage very well and brought our baseball community a big dose of respect.

It was wonderful to be a part of it.

Well done Marlins fans. Well done.

Go Fish !

Here's Jayson Stark lead from today's World Series column:

"MIAMI -- Flash bulbs popping. Opposing players cheering. Tears welling up in Roger Clemens' eyes. Every occupant of a ballpark 1,000 miles from home standing and saluting.

This was the scene in Pro Player Stadium late on a perfect Wednesday night, as a living legend headed for his dugout after throwing His Final Pitch Ever. What a moment. Poignant. Respectful. Classy."

Good job Fish fans.

Go Fish !

Being a Yankee fan and a Marlin fan, last night was one of the best moments in baseball I have seen. The genuine respect I saw on the players faces was amazing. I am proud to call myself a Marlin fan. Not many other teams would have given him such an amazing send off.

It is said that St. Loius has some of the best fans in the sport, you come in a close second.....

:marlins

and yet pavz got essentially nothing.

thats what pissed me off....he is pitching in his home stadium and no standing ovation after 8 innings...

stupid bandwagon fans.

Das, we usually agree but on this one I think you're off the mark. Of course everyone's entitled to their opinion and yours is certainly as valid as people who might disagree, but I don't think this had anything to do with bandwagon jumpers. I was there. This was the end of a twenty year career for a true star of the sport, a 100% guaranteed first ballot future hall of famer.

Pavano's work wasn't lost on the fans at PPS nor the local and national media. Virtually every article I've seen today, inclding ESPN, etc., gives Pavano high marks for pitching a great game. I suspect he didn't mind taking a back seat to Clemen's farewell. No way he feels slighted.

Go Fish !

and yet pavz got essentially nothing.

thats what pissed me off....he is pitching in his home stadium and no standing ovation after 8 innings...

stupid bandwagon fans.

I already said it before. Clemens is a baseball living legend who has ended his career. He deserves the standing ovation. Hell, even the Fish were giving him a standing ovation!

Pavs is amazing as well. But you gotta remember that Clemens is the legend, not Pavs (yet ;) ).

Pavano deserved a great sendoff and I'm sure most of the fans there recognized him when he came out of the game. It didn't seem like much compared to Clemens but what do you expect? If Pavs goes 15 more years and dominates like the Rocket then leaves for the last time with a piddly golf clap exit, then be pissed.

The sequence of events didn't lend themselves to the fans giving Pavano the kind of ovation some of you think he was entitled to but did for Clemens.

When Clemens walked off the field everyone in the stadium knew he was done.

When Pavs finished the eighth, no one knew if he would open the ninth or not. It wasn't until a half inning later, when Uggie made his way out of the bullpen, that the fans knew Pavano was finished. Most of the Marlins fans in my section (141), at least those around me thought Pavs would at least open the ninth, including me.

So don't be too rough on people, in this case I don't see it as justified. It was more the chain of events than insensitivity on the fans part.