January 18, 200818 yr How are the lengthy discussions on music and film assisting with her maturation? That consists of the bulk of her visits. It sounds like you guys are reaching a bit too much. Again, my complaint is that Cody is trying so damn hard to make the film "hip" through the dialogue and hipster art form references that major characters are left underdevoped. Who is this film about? Bateman? Page? The confrontation between the two is a rather inefficient means of serving the maturation at hand. As I've said numerous times now, if Cody were actually focused on writing the core narrative rather than over-writing to suit her personal interests, the film would have worked much better. I think the conversations work in two ways. 1. yes maybe to impose her hipster mentality in the film (which was evident and annoying on the letterman show) or 2. to show the relationship between them. He was the fatherly figure to her in a sense, the guy who helped her mature showed her things. He showed her movies, music, et cetra which then lead to him making a move on her. This move almost worked as he tried to show her something else but it went to far. Reminds me of a typical college guy, and I think that is how he was supposed to be portrayed. Again, how is him "showing her things" such as music and movies contributing to the maturation? Other than the final moment of awkwardness and his desire to follow through with the plan in the end, I don't see a single instance where he is being a positive influence upon her. It is merely Cody trying to plug her own interests. What leads Page to stay with her boyfriend in the end? Bateman's own commitment (which was the result of Page's pressing, not his own)? Cody develops this bond between the two characters with the same interests and expects us to swallow Juno's return to the boyfriend after given very little to no screen time? This film spends more time saying "buy my soundtrack" than it does developing a plausible story with well defined characters. Even if one likes the music itself, they lyrics rarely matched up with the actions unfolding onscreen. This is just one mess of a film. I am not being harsh in my criticisms. This is one of the most overrated films in recent memory. I agree with everything you said. However, this film is overrated to you because you view it through a cinematic stylist's eyes. The vast majority of moviegoers judge a movie by its entertainment and impact value.
January 18, 200818 yr I also honestly think you had decided, prior to seeing it, that you were not going to like it (based on your comments prior to seeing it), and as such, are going out of your way to find things wrong with it. I'm assuming you also dislike all of Kevin Smith and Judd Apatow's movies and tv shows, dislike Chuck Klosterman's books, hated High Fidelity (both the book and movie), and have a thorough distaste for Jack Black's entire career. Basically anyone who was influenced by Woody Allen's comedic style without being Woody Allen.
January 18, 200818 yr You say that like there is nothing wrong with this movie. There is plenty wrong with it and based on the concessions made by other posters in this thread I am not the only one who feels that way. Of your list the I have seen only one Kevin Smith film (Dogma which I did dislike) and a couple of Jack Black films I have no problem with. And I've never heard of Chuck Klosterman. Nice try in pairing together what you perceive to be similar forms of entertainment to make a blind statement regarding my feelings toward a film. How ridiculous. Good luck trying to pin down my tastes, kid. Well, since your biggest gripes with the film appear to be the dialogue, and specifically the pop culture references contained therein, I figured you would have a distaste for every single other one of the numerous movies, books, and television shows that feature similar dialogue.
January 18, 200818 yr How are the lengthy discussions on music and film assisting with her maturation? That consists of the bulk of her visits. It sounds like you guys are reaching a bit too much. Again, my complaint is that Cody is trying so damn hard to make the film "hip" through the dialogue and hipster art form references that major characters are left underdevoped. Who is this film about? Bateman? Page? The confrontation between the two is a rather inefficient means of serving the maturation at hand. As I've said numerous times now, if Cody were actually focused on writing the core narrative rather than over-writing to suit her personal interests, the film would have worked much better. I think the conversations work in two ways. 1. yes maybe to impose her hipster mentality in the film (which was evident and annoying on the letterman show) or 2. to show the relationship between them. He was the fatherly figure to her in a sense, the guy who helped her mature showed her things. He showed her movies, music, et cetra which then lead to him making a move on her. This move almost worked as he tried to show her something else but it went to far. Reminds me of a typical college guy, and I think that is how he was supposed to be portrayed. Again, how is him "showing her things" such as music and movies contributing to the maturation? Other than the final moment of awkwardness and his desire to follow through with the plan in the end, I don't see a single instance where he is being a positive influence upon her. It is merely Cody trying to plug her own interests. What leads Page to stay with her boyfriend in the end? Bateman's own commitment (which was the result of Page's pressing, not his own)? Cody develops this bond between the two characters with the same interests and expects us to swallow Juno's return to the boyfriend after given very little to no screen time? This film spends more time saying "buy my soundtrack" than it does developing a plausible story with well defined characters. Even if one likes the music itself, they lyrics rarely matched up with the actions unfolding onscreen. This is just one mess of a film. I am not being harsh in my criticisms. This is one of the most overrated films in recent memory. I agree with everything you said. However, this film is overrated to you because you view it through a cinematic stylist's eyes. The vast majority of moviegoers judge a movie by its entertainment and impact value. As a general moviegoer I would simply argue that the cringe inducing dialogue was displeasing enough. I think we can all agree that you, sir, are no general moviegoer :cool
January 18, 200818 yr I also honestly think you had decided, prior to seeing it, that you were not going to like it (based on your comments prior to seeing it), and as such, are going out of your way to find things wrong with it. This.
January 18, 200818 yr What do Jack Black and Juno have in common? Jack Black's character in, say High Fidelity, or School of Rock, or Tenacious D, (in essence, the Jack Black stereotype character) is built on cultural elitism, and pop culture reference.
January 18, 200818 yr Put me in team yankeefanbobbobleftymabdul. Unfortunately, penguino will 'win' this argument because he never loses. He's the penguinoBot. My rating: Juno 9/10
January 19, 200818 yr I am on the Penguino side too. This movie was terrible. Fake dialogue, cliche, trite and tried way too hard.
January 19, 200818 yr Put me in team yankeefanbobbobleftymabdul. Unfortunately, penguino will 'win' this argument because he never loses. He's the penguinoBot. My rating: Juno 9/10 Well, as a consequence of me feeling having been treated unfairly I'm going to be toning down my activity in this subforum considerably. After the awards, I'll just update my list in the film list thread. :thumbup Because of my comments? You may do as you please but you must know that I was only joking around when I typed it. You're a pretty darn good poster on this forum; always sharing your unique view on a movie with us. Which makes it pretty easy to gang up on you sometimes. I happen to side with you more than you think. I am probably speaking for all of us when I say that.
January 19, 200818 yr Put me in team yankeefanbobbobleftymabdul. Unfortunately, penguino will 'win' this argument because he never loses. He's the penguinoBot. My rating: Juno 9/10 Well, as a consequence of me feeling having been treated unfairly I'm going to be toning down my activity in this subforum considerably. After the awards, I'll just update my list in the film list thread. :thumbup Because of my comments? You may do as you please but you must know that I was only joking around when I typed it. You're a pretty darn good poster on this forum; always sharing your unique view on a movie with us. Which makes it pretty easy to gang up on you sometimes. I happen to side with you more than you think. I am probably speaking for all of us when I say that. Was talking more about other people's comments. If I feel like I'm not being treated fairly, then I won't post in this subforum. Simple as that. I'd rather discuss film with people who don't blindly insult my tastes. If you are referring to my comments, you need to read again. I never insulted you, if anything I put you on a pedestal above the rest of us. I consistently say that you are a very harsh and stubborn critic, and that separates you from everyone else here. There is nothing insulting or defamatory about that.
January 21, 200818 yr I think you're a douche for not having the exact same taste in movies as me. There. I said it. Everyone was thinking it. Now it's out there. :mischief
February 26, 200818 yr And I would just like to comment once again that I can't believe people actually like this movie. Especially people who like beer. Good beer. Worst. Movie. Ever.
February 27, 200818 yr Honest to blog? :lol While funny, my first instinct was actual anger from just knowing those three words were uttered in what is supposed to be the best screenplay of the year.
February 27, 200818 yr And I would just like to comment once again that I can't believe people actually like this movie. Especially people who like beer. Good beer. Worst. Movie. Ever. I bet you don't think this is really the worst movie ever. I bet this is hyperbole. I bet you thought Deck The Halls was worse. Or Envy. Those are very bad movies, where Juno, is, at worst, a little bit elitist and probably overrated.
February 27, 200818 yr Well, I'm going to be honest, I've been called a hipster more than once in my lifetime and I can garauntee you I've never met anyone who talked even remotely like anyone in this movie. That's the point. It's a movie. They are fictional characters who have had every line written for them. They shouldn't talk like normal people. Everyday conversation is boring. People remember dialogue like that used in Juno. Not trying to argue it's relative merits, I'm just pointing out a fact that is indisputable in movie history. Nobody says things like "Frankly, my dear. I don't give a damn" in real life. Do you think Juno would have been a better movie if it had more "realistic" dialogue?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.