Miami Dolphins and the #1 overall draft pick

The_Godfather

With the Dolphins having the #1 overall draft pick, who do you want? This is about all we have to look forward to, and I was hoping to hear some opinions. The reason I am posting this now, is because the guy I want is about to play in 30 minutes.

Phil Loadholt, the LT from Oklahoma is the player I want, I have been keying in on him since the middle of the season, and the man is a beast. He is a 6'8'' 350 pound (yet somehow lean looking) LT with nimble feet and quickness. The only knock I hear on him is that he has only played college football for one season. I say so what? His performance has been nothing short of amazing, who cares if he has done it for one year or three. He came straight from the JUCO ranks, so he is eligible to come out this year. You don't hear a lot about him yet because he is so new, but I guarantee if he does come out he is a top 5 pick.

So why a LT when the O line was decent this year? Vernon Carey was decent at LT this year, but could be great at RT. So give us a dominant LT, slide Carey to RT and we already have good guard play, and all of a sudden we go from average to great on the offensive line, where it all starts. A great offensive line makes everyone on offense look better.

I am not convinced on any of the quarterbacks coming out, plus I still do like Beck. Glen Dorsey is good, but will he make that much of a huge impact at defensive tackle? Maybe, but IMO it is much easier to find a good DT than a great LT. McFadden is the best player, but I can't see us justifying any way to spend that much money on the running backs alone. Brown will be fine back there. And trading down might be harder than most think to do, the market's just not there.

So tonight watch #79 push down the West Virginia DE like he is a ragdoll and then pull out and hit a LB on running plays, and protect Bradford's back side all night. I am starting the bandwagon for him, jump on!

Vernon Carey was pretty awsome at LT this year but I agree if we can get better and move Carey back to RT the O-line can be flat out awsome with Satele at C as well. But I like Jeff Otah better. He'll be the best LT in this draft I guarantee it. The man flat out dominated Chris Long when Pitt played UVA this year and Chris Long will be a top 5 pick. He's 6'6" 340 and has very quick feet for a big guy. I say trade down pick up some extra picks and get Otah.

I don't think under any circumstances do you take an offensive lineman with the #1 pick in the draft.

Thats because you dont get to see his face and they arent the big name guys who make plays you can plainly see. But you also wanted them to take Colt Brennan in the first round if they can get an extra first round pick or else take him in the second round. Yeah, I remember, and that would be a horrible idea.

Anyway, Orlando Pace.

Here is an article on how Carey did this year and how he compared to pro bowl LT's...

Fortunately for Dolphins, left tackle position seems set

The Miami Dolphins are a franchise mired by question marks. From quarterback to coach to general manager (and seemingly everywhere in between), Bill Parcells is staring at a dark abyss of unknowns.

Fortunately for Parcells, it appears that one of the NFL's most difficult positions to fill seems set in Miami.

Though some fans and irresponsible media pundits will be quick to lump Vernon Carey in with the rest of Miami's offensive malfunctions, the reality is that he turned in an extremely impressive 2007 campaign. Along with the surprisingly solid rookie center Samson Satele, Carey anchored a rushing attack that was among the league's best early in the season. Even after electrifying starter Ronnie Brown went down with a knee injury, Carey continued to help pave running lanes for the five other backs who carried the football in the former's absence.

Though the Dolphins dipped down to 23rd in the league in rushing by season's end, averaging 98.1 yards per game, some of that drop in production can be attributed to Miami's perpetual conundrum of falling behind early and being forced to pass, as well as a lack of depth and talent as the season progressed.

When Brown was in there, he averaged roughly 5.5 yards per carry when running behind Carey; and for the season, Dolphins running backs averaged well over 4 yards when the former University of Miami standout was leading the way.

However, run blocking is just half the story when it comes to evaluating the play of an offensive tackle, and some will be quick to at least partially blame Carey for Miami's steady decline in pass protection over the course of the season.

But are those accusations valid? Did Carey hold up his end of the bargain when it came to protecting the blind side? The answer is a resounding "yes."

Of the 42 sacks Miami's offense surrendered in 2007, the four-year veteran was responsible for just three. Granted, NFL stats for offensive linemen are far from 100 percent accurate, but even if you allow for a few extra sacks, his '07 performance was impressive.

Just how impressive was it? Carey's three sacks allowed are significantly better than three of the four Pro Bowl starters at tackle: New England's Matt Light (6.5), Buffalo's Jason Peters (six) and Seattle's Walter Jones (six). He was also slightly better than the fourth starter, Dallas' Flozell Adams, who finished the season with 3.5 sacks allowed.

Kind of makes you wonder why Carey wasn't offered an invitation, even if only as an alternate.

Mind you, Carey still has plenty of room for improvement, especially in the false-start department (he was flagged seven times). Fortunately, the fact that he came into 2007 with just three false starts in three prior seasons suggests that '07's total was more of anomaly than a trend. Moreover, Carey did not commit a single holding penalty during the year, and he has only been whistled for that offense twice in four seasons.

At 6-foot-5 and 335 pounds, the Miami native is a prototypical left tackle, and his performance suggests that he's on the verge of ascending to Pro Bowl status. Parcells is certainly entitled to evaluate Carey's performance and determine for himself if he is the Dolphins' left tackle of the future, but chances are that the franchise's new head man will come away pleased with what he has to work with.

It appears as if left tackle is set, thus meaning one fewer question needs answering in Miami.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/20828.html

I don't know about taking Jake Long #1. If we could trade down, say maybe get a mid first round pick and add some more 2nd and 3rd round picks, then I'm all for it.

If you trade the first overall pick and dont get a still pretty high first round pick and a 2nd first round pick, you suck.

See, I wouldn't mind trading down and land anywhere in the range of 12-17 and take a guy like Kenny Phillips. Just as long as we add more 2nd and 3rd round picks. The more picks Parcells gets, the better off the Dolphins will be 3-4 years from now.

I don't know about taking Jake Long #1. If we could trade down, say maybe get a mid first round pick and add some more 2nd and 3rd round picks, then I'm all for it.

If you trade the first overall pick and dont get a still pretty high first round pick and a 2nd first round pick, you suck.

See, I wouldn't mind trading down and land anywhere in the range of 12-17 and take a guy like Kenny Phillips. Just as long as we add more 2nd and 3rd round picks. The more picks Parcells gets, the better off the Dolphins will be 3-4 years from now.

Kenny Phillips looked not so good this year.

I'd trade the number 1 overall to Dallas for both of their two number 1's (22nd overall and likely 31st overall) and a 2nd and another pick for the 2009 draft.

Edit:

NFL Draft Trade Value Chart

According to the NFL Draft trade value chart the #1 overall pick is worth 3000. The number 22 is worth 780 and 31 is worth 600 (equals 1380) Now add 95th overall in round 2 which is valued at 120 (Now equals 1500). Dallas would have to add their 2009 1st rounder and another 3rd or 4th to get proper value. Luckily for the Phins Jerry Jones (who went to Arkansas) is enamored with Darren McFadden so I think there is a possibility of a trade with Dallas.

Kenny Phillips looked not so good this year.

True, but it wasn't like his corners were helping him out much. I think he'll be a solid pro. Maybe pro-bowl material by his 4th year in the league. I see him as a Bob Sanders, Troy Pala however you spell his last name type safety. Hard hitter, with the body and skills of a LB, but yet can play the deep ball like a safety.

I'd trade down and draft defense

i think this is the only answer in trying to solve what ails the fins...not saying dorsey...but we need to get younger up front and find a good safety or corner in this draft...id also like to see the fins find a way to pick up James Hardy WR from Indiana...i think he could have pro bowl talent as John Beck develops

The Raiders could possibly trade up for Long, but then again, what do the Raiders have to offer?

Just what they need another Robert Gallery... :lol

Jake Long.

Not the one from Michigan.

It's Chris Long.

Crap I had a serious brain fart.

And I call myself a UVA fan.

That is is humiliating

If we keep the #1 pick and draft someone other than DMac or Dorsey, it'll rival last year's draft in stupid.

I see alot of predictions with the Dolphins taking Dorsey with the #1 pick but he doesnt fit the defense Parcells guys are going to want to run. He's not a 3-4 NT and Chris Long is the better prospect as a 3-4 DE.