Phillip Rivers

Puma

is a punk.

I mean seriously... Who does the guy think he is? First he taunts Jay Cutler and now he's talking trash to the Colts fans? He's not even really that good.

Although I want the Chargers to beat the Pats more than anything, I hope just ONCE someone on the Pats D lays him out

Show a little class, Phillip

is a punk.

I mean seriously... Who does the guy think he is? First he taunts Jay Cutler and now he's talking trash to the Colts fans? He's not even really that good.

Although I want the Chargers to beat the Pats more than anything, I hope just ONCE someone on the Pats D lays him out

Give me a break. How does talking trash make him a punk? So what, he talked some sh*t back to Colt fans who were probably talking sh*t to him. Why can't he? He is a human being too. And you know what? He is that good.

He is a starting QB for the AFC championship team and a lot better than any of the fans in the game, and a lot better than you. When you get to his level than you can make a thread talking trash about him but why can you talk trash about him when you're not that good, but he can't talk trash back to people? What is so punkish about that?

Show a little class? This is football, not Opera. Get off your soapbox.

is a punk.

Give me a break. How does talking trash make him a punk? So what, he talked some sh*t back to Colt fans who were probably talking sh*t to him. Why can't he? He is a human being too. And you know what? He is that good.

He is a starting QB for the AFC championship team and a lot better than any of the fans in the game, and a lot better than you. When you get to his level than you can make a thread talking trash about him but why can you talk trash about him when you're not that good, but he can't talk trash back to people? What is so punkish about that?

You are a coach, correct (I'm going off the Hurricane recruit thread in assuming that...so correct me if I'm wrong)? What do you tell your players to do when the other team and their fans talk sh*t to them? Would you tell your players to talk sh*t to an inferior team if the other team was mouthing off to them? What about the fans? If you still coach in South Florida, I'm sure you've dealth with f***head fans yelling at your players alot in your day. Do you allow your players to talk back to them?

Personally I don't really care if Marmalard wants to act like a douchenozzle. He's a pro and he's not breaking any rules. However I don't see a problem with calling him out for being a tool.

is a punk.

You are a coach, correct (I'm going off the Hurricane recruit thread in assuming that...so correct me if I'm wrong)? What do you tell your players to do when the other team and their fans talk sh*t to them? Would you tell your players to talk sh*t to an inferior team if the other team was mouthing off to them? What about the fans? If you still coach in South Florida, I'm sure you've dealth with f***head fans yelling at your players alot in your day. Do you allow your players to talk back to them?

Personally I don't really care if Marmalard wants to act like a douchenozzle. He's a pro and he's not breaking any rules. However I don't see a problem with calling him out for being a tool.

Criticize in private, praise in public. The problem I have is random people/the media calling a guy who did nothing wrong a tool/punk/whatever in public when all he is doing is showing a little emotion.

These same people are the same ones who call out a Manny Ramirez when he says that it doesn't matter if the Red Sox win or lose. He really doesn't care but the media/fans like you jump all over him for not caring. But when a guy like Phillip Rivers gets fired up for a playoff game and shows emotion and yea gets a little stupid by talking back to fans, people want to call him a punk/tool.

Criticize in private, praise in public. The problem I have is random people/the media calling a guy who did nothing wrong a tool/punk/whatever in public when all he is doing is showing a little emotion.

These same people are the same ones who call out a Manny Ramirez when he says that it doesn't matter if the Red Sox win or lose. He really doesn't care but the media/fans like you jump all over him for not caring. But when a guy like Phillip Rivers gets fired up for a playoff game and shows emotion and yea gets a little stupid by talking back to fans, people want to call him a punk/tool.

Of course you can call people tools/punks for not "doing anything wrong." For example (and not to politicize this), the other day I saw some dude wearing a Che Guevara shirt. Dude wasn't really doing anything wrong - it's just a shirt, after all - but in my opinion it still makes him a f***ing toolbox.

Phillip could also be like the majority of the NFL players and get fired up/show emotion without talking sh*t to asshat fans. There weren't (to my knowledge from watching on TV) any other players talking back to the fans - why did Phillip decide to do so? I highly doubt he was the only one getting heckled.

There is a big difference between calling out someone for what they say in the media (which, in the specific example you are referring to, I wouldn't do) and for talking sh*t to fans who were, in Phillip's defense, probably acting moronic. Players can say whatever they want in the media for all I care; sure, when they say something dumb (Carl Everett, come on down!) I'll call them an idiot, but it doesn't bother me. Of course neither does the trash talking, but it does make Phillip tooltastic.

Of course you can call people tools/punks for not "doing anything wrong." For example (and not to politicize this), the other day I saw some dude wearing a Che Guevara shirt. Dude wasn't really doing anything wrong - it's just a shirt, after all - but in my opinion it still makes him a f***ing toolbox.

Well, I do agree with that. There are situations that exist which make some people "tools" even if they didn't do anything technically wrong.

Phillip could also be like the majority of the NFL players and get fired up/show emotion without talking sh*t to asshat fans. There weren't (to my knowledge from watching on TV) any other players talking back to the fans - why did Phillip decide to do so? I highly doubt he was the only one getting heckled.

Yep, you're probably right that none of the other players talked back to the crowd. I agree. But, Rivers is the starting QB for the opposing team, he has a bullseye on his back, and this all started with him chanting "I'll be back, I'll be back" to the crowd razzing him while running to the sidelines. Is that "talking sh*t" ? Maybe. I simply think it is human emotion running rampant through a young guy.

There is a big difference between calling out someone for what they say in the media (which, in the specific example you are referring to, I wouldn't do) and for talking sh*t to fans who were, in Phillip's defense, probably acting moronic.

It's not about media vs. fans. The point I was trying to make is that I actually like to see the guy making millions of dollars care about what happens in the game. He was stupid talking back to the crowd, I'll agree, but I love seeing a guy that actually cares enough about what is happening to let his emotion get the best of him every now and then. I don't call that being a punk or tool, I call that caring about the sport. That is where we differ.

I don't know - razzing the fans a little bit seems okay to me. It's kind of like when you are winning a game and everyone's yelling "YOU SUCK!" and shrugging and pointing at the score board. I think that kind of gamesmanship is the difference between watching the game on your giant screen plasma tv and actually being at the game. Then again, I was a bleacher creature for a long time so I have a different perspective on fan-player interaction.

THIS, on the other hand, is being a douche:

I liked what he did, he enjoyed himself out of a sh*tty situation. He was out of the game, and he interacted with the fans. hats something none of them will every forget. All those involved enjoyed it. All those not involved only saw him yelling back.

What about the black dude in the dreads on the chargers sideline next to rivers waving bye bye and acting liek a pro wrestler? Any of you guys care about that.

You only saw the star quarterback. He's injured, what does it matter. You root for your team when you can't help them.

Chris

I don't see Manning or Brady, or any other QB in the NFL for that matter, doing the things that Rivers does. I can understand him maybe doing this stuff if he were a top tier QB, but uhh...well...he's not. He's good but not nearly great... and here he is talking all this trash. All the football analysts on ESPN are scratching their heads as to why Rivers wants to act so childish, and I agree with them. Someone needs to sit down and talk with him about being a little more mature

from an article on cbssportline.com from Mike Freeman:

Philip Rivers = Terrell Owens. They're the same person; trash talking twins. Absolute doppelgangers.

They're both showboats. They both let their emotions get the best of them. Most of all, they're both impossible to root for.

Yes you, Philip Rivers. Your act is already getting old and we're sick of it. (US Presswire) In fact Rivers, Owens, Chad Johnson and Joey Porter's version of hell is a place that doesn't include a camera, microphone or mirror.

Punks, all of them.

The San Diego Chargers are normally the kind of team fans would embrace. The disparaged head coach turned hero; the underdog that shocked the Indianapolis Colts; the team taking on the Evil Empire. The Chargers should be America's Team.

Indeed, I have always respected the Chargers organization. Some of the assistants on Norv Turner's staff I have known for years. Qualcomm Stadium is the best place in the country to watch a football game.

The problem is the personality of this team has changed and not for the better. The Chargers are becoming the Oakland Raiders -- silver and yak.

They talk and talk and talk. The Chargers are the biggest trash talkers in all of sports. They make Chad Johnson blush.

And they've earned this reputation mostly because of Rivers.

Oh, he's not the lone trash talker or on-field disco dancer. There are Shawne Merriman's steroid-soaked sack celebrations and the sometimes obnoxious actions of the mostly gentlemanly and Teflon-coated LaDainian Tomlinson.

San Diego defensive lineman Igor Olshansky, following the Chargers' divisional game against the Colts, opened his extra large yapper and, unprovoked, mocked the Patriots. He actually said the Patriots were more afraid of the Chargers than the Chargers were of the Patriots.

What's the word for stupid in the Ukraine?

(And wasn't Igor Olshansky in a James Bond film?)

Yet no one has done more damage to the recent image of the Chargers than Rivers. Rivers is Trent Dilfer with a bigger mouth, shorter attention span and worse haircut.

My good friend and colleague Gregg Doyel loves Rivers. Figures. Punks beget punks.

I have never seen a player commit such egregious taunts and acts of trash talking while simultaneously being defended vigorously by coaching and teammate apologists.

Even Philadelphia Eagles management and some players took on Owens and told him to shut up. The Chargers not only say very little to Rivers about his childish acts, they seem to embrace them.

"We're going to let Philip be Philip," Tomlinson told the media this week. "No one has talked to him about it, because that's the way he's always been. He's his own man, and at this point I don't think you can try to sit him down like a high school player and say, 'You shouldn't be talking like that.'"

Sorry LaDainian, but that's exactly what someone should do. Rivers looks like a man slowly and utterly losing his mind.

In December, Rivers was caught by television cameras jawing at Denver quarterback Jay Cutler for no good reason.

That led to this quote from Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey: "And I don't really care for the guy, first of all. He's not a respectable guy right now, because you talk too much trash and do this and that, but you're really not a great player in this league right now. You're surrounded by great players, but you're not a great player. I think he needs to understand where he stands in this league -- where he stands on his team first and foremost."

When the classy Bailey speaks that way about a player, it means that player really is a punk.

Minnesota safety Darren Sharper said when the Vikings and Chargers met earlier this season, Rivers was blabbing even as the Chargers were getting bulldozed by Adrian Peterson.

"Rivers is that kind of guy," Sharper said at the time. "He likes to run his mouth. He's going to learn he is going to have to stop doing that, too."

Rivers this season was also caught again by cameras telling the fans at Qualcomm to shut up. He has told Raiders fans to shut up, too.

Then came the Indianapolis game and Rivers popping off to Colts fans.

Talk, talk, talk.

"Even I'm embarrassed for him," Ryan Leaf might say.

I want to root for the Chargers.

If only they would shut up.

Couldn't agree more with this article