Official Wrestling Discussion

geemoney

Geemoney, far be it from me to try to take any light from your thread here, but I was kind of surprised to not see you mention in your raw recap that the Hart Dynasty did a Hart Attack to Miz and that Kidd did a sharpshooter and not a figure four

Sorry, the Hart face turn has me watching a bit more, lately.

Yep, my bad. Sometimes I miss a move or two here and there while I'm trying to type.

Jack Swagger is YOUR new World Heavyweight Champion, after cashing in his MITB contract tonight on Smackdown.

Wow. Is Jericho hurt?

No but there just making the Edge and Jericho fued more personal than for the World Heavyweight title.

I don't see Swagger holding the title for long though.

Guest Guest

I expect him to hold it through the draft at least, as he is a Raw wrestler and I believe it will lead to the WWE title going over to Smackdown(probably with someone other than John Cena).

RIP Chris Kanyon.

Guest Guest

I would also think that the brand extension would have to end at some point. Combine the rosters(as they all just show up whenever anyway), go back to 12 PPVs, one a month. Keep the IC and US titles, have one world champion, one tag team champion team, and 1 womens title.

My suggestions, based on past and present PPV names for the 12 year PPVs:

january-royal rumble

february-fully loaded

march-wrestlemania

april-extreme rules

may-over the limit

june-king of the ring(bring it back, with title shot at Summerslam like the old days...the King of the Ring used to be a major stepping stone for a wrestler's first major push)

july-the great american bash

august-summerslam

september-breaking point

october-bragging rights

november-night of champions(a good name for an event, perfect to take place of Survivor Series)

december-new years revolution

Get away from all the gimmick PPVs.

Reintroduce the European Championship as a talent builder and stepping stone title. Maybe have someone like Sheamus or Drew McIntyre declare themselves the champion.

Bring back stables.

Re-emphasize tag team wrestling(when Brett DiBiase is brought up, team him with his brother, for example).

I would also think that the brand extension would have to end at some point. Combine the rosters(as they all just show up whenever anyway), go back to 12 PPVs, one a month. Keep the IC and US titles, have one world champion, one tag team champion team, and 1 womens title.

january-royal rumble

february-fully loaded

march-wrestlemania

april-extreme rules

may-over the limit

june-king of the ring(bring it back, with title shot at Summerslam like the old days...the King of the Ring used to be a major stepping stone for a wrestler's first major push)

august-summerslam

september-breaking point

october-bragging rights

november-night of champions(a good name for an event, perfect to take place of Survivor Series)

Reintroduce the European Championship as a talent builder and stepping stone title. Maybe have someone like Sheamus or Drew McIntyre declare themselves the champion.

Bring back stables.

Re-emphasize tag team wrestling(when Brett DiBiase is brought up, team him with his brother, for example).

I think those are the biggest PPVs and they shouldnt go without them. The rest of them are a bunch of non-sense titles to sell. They should size down on PPVs look more towards cable for the smaller shows (or perhaps the other way round... but then there would be no point in PPV for the smaller shows). I think the TV ratings would be off the charts with something like Wresltemania on cable.

january-royal rumble

february-fully loaded

march-wrestlemania

april-extreme rules

may-over the limit

august-summerslam

september-breaking point

october-bragging rights

Bring back stables.

I think those are the biggest PPVs and they shouldnt go without them. The rest of them are a bunch of non-sense titles to sell. They should size down on PPVs look more towards cable for the smaller shows (or perhaps the other way round... but then there would be no point in PPV for the smaller shows). I think the TV ratings would be off the charts with something like Wresltemania on cable.

I agree that ratings would be off the charts, but I believe I read they made almost $24 million in PPV buys. I don't think they would get that on cable.

I do like the idea of combining the brands.

All I'm saying is that it would be interesting and they would reach a bigger audience. Something to try... and not just a matter of being cheap on the audiences point of view... I dont have digital cable or satellite. I couldnt watch it if I wanted to.

Not on all of them, but perhaps one PPV per season. I honestly think it would infleunce more purchases of the other PPVs anyways, and widen the WWE audience.

All I'm saying is that it would be interesting and they would reach a bigger audience. Something to try... and not just a matter of being cheap on the audiences point of view... I dont have digital cable or satellite. I couldnt watch it if I wanted to.

Not on all of them, but perhaps one PPV per season. I honestly think it would infleunce more purchases of the other PPVs anyways, and widen the WWE audience.

I read a recent article in American Way magazine about the WWE and how profitable they are even in this economy. The WWE probably makes 60 million a year in PPV buys (if not more). While I see where you are going with trying to widen the audience by giving a free PPV, my question to you is isnt that the point of Raw and Smackdown? Both those shows are free and lure people in to the PPVs. Quite frankly, the WWE is making so much money now, I doubt they will consider changing their formula.

I'm surprised to see you guys advocating an end to the brand split. I feel like we've had this discussion here before, but really, it gives guys who would never have gotten a chance, a way to get on TV. Guys like Swagger, McIntyre, Kingston, etc can get TV time because it's not being taken up by guys from BOTH brand. Plus, for wrestlers like Cena and Batista, who I know some on here have poo-pooed, you'd be seeing them twice as much. Of course, I think a lot of the people who don't like the brand split are people who don't watch both Raw AND Smackdown.

what's the best finisher in wrestling???

my personal favorite is the gringo killer performed by homicide

Strange as it may sound, I've always been partial to the Widow's Peak. And as much as I hate him, the Pedigree is awesome (though he has been getting more and more lazy with that move).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.