FunFest

BroncoBob27

Anyone else going today? We will be there bright and early because we need to use the free ST vouchers we got for paying up front for our season tix instead of the payment plan. Can't do that on line. One of those games is the BoSox game and that always sells out fast. We are also getting 11 tickets to the Home Opener (Orioles, not the U) to continue a tradition.

If anyone else got those vouchers and aren't using them, I have a suggestion. We are only using them for two games (they are game specific) so the rest we are donating to the Community Foundation and delivering them today at the stadium. It is a worthwhile foundation, dosen't really cost you anything out of pocket, and they send you the paperwork for the tax deduction for what those tickets would be worth. Just a thought.

It was a really good time. I did see BroncoBob27 there. The most surprising thing to me was the line for Spring Training tickets. Even LittlerSoFlaFish and I stood in line for 45 minutes to get tickets. By 12:30, the Red Sox game on March 3 was all but sold out.

One of the coolest parts was getting a chance to have fun on the actual field. Even LittlerSoFlaFish ran the bases, fielded grounders at third base and first base, and then got to chase a liner off the wall in LF!

Another highlight was getting a chance to meet and talk to Josh Johnson. I asked about his arm and he said it felt good and that he is expecting to pitch somewhere this season, but probably not up with the Fish. They went above and beyond the call of duty, however. Initially, it was advertised that the first 1,000 people there would get a voucher from free hot dogs and soda. They actually gave EVERYONE a voucher. At 2:15 when we finally bought our tickets and went up to the Party Deck to get our food, they were just giving the hot dogs away to anybody and there were still alot of "dogs" left. Here are some pics of the occasion:

(From left to right): Former Cardinal Ted Savage, Even LittlerSoFlaFish, and Rex Hudler

Even LittlerSoFlaFish with Josh Johnson (it's so nice getting an autograph when there was NOBODY in line with us!)

. . . it's a deep liner to center, Even LittlerSoFlaFish captures it and throws to Ramirez at the cut-off . . . .

He's only four years old, I'll get that leg work down before long. Even LittlerSoFlaFish throwing from the mound at Roger Dean Stadium

He was doing a really good job of covering first base while practicing grounders.

FunFest was publicized in The Palm Beach Post and the turnout was higher than past Roger Dean Stadium open houses (I remember in 2002 walking around with LittleSoFlaFish and meeting Peter Bergeron of the Expos who was just sitting by the bullpen).

Never saw ya SoFla. We did see some friends there, tho. We got there at 8:30 and the line was around the corner and down to the stadium wall. About 2 blocks. Left the ticket window at 11:00. First hour and a half or so they only had 3 windows open. That changed to 4, and then I think 5 after we got ours. But we got the tickets we wanted. BoSox (bleacher) and 11 for the Home Opener vs the Nats. Had to "cheat" on the 11 because the rule is 6 per customer. But as usual the folks at Roger Dean were very accomodating. Checked out the field, shook hands with the two Cards signing autographs and left those ST vouchers in the main office for the Commuinty Foundation. We had some other things to do so we left soon after that. It is always fun to talk baseball and mingle with the other fans. Usually I see and chat with Emily Minor, but I didn't notice her there this year. She's not really a sports writer but at least she is consistently saying good things about the team in her columns. However, I did see a trolley sign right across from the main entrance that looks like it has been there forever. Don't know how I ever missed/noticed it before.

Plenty more Cards fans there. And BoSox fans. But there is a large following in that area for the Cards. May as well start calling it CardinalTowne. What did surprise me a little bit was that the BoSox fans I talked to had never made the short trip to Ft Meyers to catch a game. None of em.

Oh well. Friends coming up today (Sunday) from Ft Lauderdale for our annual South Florida Fair excursion. Hope the weather is like yesterday. Next taste of baseball is FanFest.

were there more Cardinals fans or Marlins fans there?

On average, I'd say there were more "baseball" fans than anything else. The Cardinals draw well among the retirees who inhabit the area. Plus, many folks were in line buying tickets for family or friends who would be making "trips" down to Jupiter for either the Cardinals, Mets, Red Sox, Nationals, Dodgers. In my opinion, the majority of folks in line were "snowbirds" who flock to Spring Training like the swallows to San Juan Capistrano (uh-oh, am I showing my age again?). The old lady in line in front of my was originally from Indiana and retired to Palm Beach. She was buying tickets for her son who was coming down in late March. The old couple behind me were locals who are frequent attendees to Hammerheads and PBCardinals game. It was the same all around, just baseball fans trying to snatch up the best tickets left for any game (Cardinals or Marlins). Inside, there were more kids wearing Marlins gear than Cardinals gear. But the other team that was well-represented were the Red Sox.

Never saw ya SoFla. We did see some friends there, tho. We got there at 8:30 and the line was around the corner and down to the stadium wall. About 2 blocks. Left the ticket window at 11:00. First hour and a half or so they only had 3 windows open. That changed to 4, and then I think 5 after we got ours. But we got the tickets we wanted. BoSox (bleacher) and 11 for the Home Opener vs the Nats. Had to "cheat" on the 11 because the rule is 6 per customer. But as usual the folks at Roger Dean were very accomodating. Checked out the field, shook hands with the two Cards signing autographs and left those ST vouchers in the main office for the Commuinty Foundation. We had some other things to do so we left soon after that. It is always fun to talk baseball and mingle with the other fans. Usually I see and chat with Emily Minor, but I didn't notice her there this year. She's not really a sports writer but at least she is consistently saying good things about the team in her columns. However, I did see a trolley sign right across from the main entrance that looks like it has been there forever. Don't know how I ever missed/noticed it before.

Plenty more Cards fans there. And BoSox fans. But there is a large following in that area for the Cards. May as well start calling it CardinalTowne. What did surprise me a little bit was that the BoSox fans I talked to had never made the short trip to Ft Meyers to catch a game. None of em.

Oh well. Friends coming up today (Sunday) from Ft Lauderdale for our annual South Florida Fair excursion. Hope the weather is like yesterday. Next taste of baseball is FanFest.

We literally just keep missing each other, and our itineraries keep crossing paths. I'm heading out to the Fair today because Little SoFlaFish is competing at the "Florida Match Play Cheerleading Tournament" that is going on at the Sound Advice Amphitheatre today.

Another highlight was getting a chance to meet and talk to Josh Johnson. I asked about his arm and he said it felt good and that he is expecting to pitch somewhere this season, but probably not up with the Fish.

That's exactly what he told me when I met him at the PBI airport a couple weeks ago. Showed me the scar too

We literally just keep missing each other, and our itineraries keep crossing paths. I'm heading out to the Fair today because Little SoFlaFish is competing at the "Florida Match Play Cheerleading Tournament" that is going on at the Sound Advice Amphitheatre today.

That's hilarious. When we were at Yesteryear Village (ya gotta know I spend alot of time there!!) we heard that going on. I actually wondered out loud if your daughter was among the competitors. We thought of wandering over there for a little while but with all the exhibits and shows going on this year there just wasn't the time. We got there at 10:00 and still didn't leave until 9:00. With me being a history buff and all of us animal lovers it was a great time. Something about having a sea lion look at you and actually smile without being told to do so just cracks me up. They did a great job this year, best fair in a few years, IMO. I even heard some people talking something about rides and games???

So how did Little and her group do? I really would have liked to watch some of that competition.

So how did Little and her group do? I really would have liked to watch some of that competition.

Her squad finished in 1st place in their division. This is the second year in a row that she's placed in 1st in that competition. It's one of the only ones I attend because I can always just go over to the Fair with my son (who really can't tolerate sitting through all the cheer routines and loud music for extended periods of time).

It was a good Fair this year. My son just wants to do the rides, but he also loves NASCAR and was mesmerized by the two Dale Earnhardt, Jr. cars on display.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.