Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mets vs Marlins

Featured Replies

Just curious to see others opinions on this. I think we match up pretty well against the Mets. Apart from the pretty obvious positions of CF, and 3rd base, I think we match up well at every other position.

 

LF I pick Willy over Alou. Although Alou can still rake, he's alway injured and going on 42. Willy is

entering his prime, and plays everyday. Of course this is assuming his back is fine.

 

CF Beltran hands down...

 

RF Ryan Church is a nice player, but hasn't really been able to land a starting job until now.

Hermida has superstar potential, and if his second half of 07' is any indication, he has arrived.

 

3rd David Wright hands down...

 

SS Jose Reyes only loses here because Hanley is so good. He has the defensive advantage, but

I'm hoping Hanley will improve in that area this year.

 

2nd If Luis Castillo were in his prime I would take him over Uggla just because of his speed and

defense. But he is aging quickly, and his intangibles at this point don't make up for Uggla's

25-30 hr's.

 

1st I'm giving the advantage to Delgado here because of his reputation and career numbers.

But he has a bad hip, is coming off of bad year, and is terrible defensively. The problem is

that Jacobs hasn't proven anything yet, and is terrible defensively himself.

 

C I'm going to go with a tie on this one. Schneider is a nice veteran catcher but he doesn't hit

much anymore. He does have a slight edge defensively over Treanor. I do think Treanor will

hit more than Schneider, and I think he will also catch alot more games than Rabelo.

 

SP After Johan Santana, the Mets rotation is full of question marks. Is Pedro healthy and can he

still be effective? Which Oliver Perez is going to show up? El Duque? Is Pelfrey ready? Can

Maine repeat his nice 07' season. However, our rotation at the moment is full of unproven

youngsters, so mainly because of Johan, advantage Mets.

 

BP The Mets have the big name closer, but I think the Marlins have the much deeper pen. I

especially love our left handers.

 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we will have a better season than the Mets or that we will win our division. However, it's not inconceivable that we compete in our divsion and the NL wild card late into September..

I would take exception with one thing and that is the Jacobs has not shown improvement defensively since coming to the Marlins. Aside from being sent out there on a fractured in leg or playing with a broken hand/thumb/whatever it was Jacobs when healthy has shown enough improvement to say he can work his way to being an average major league defender at first base. He's clearly better defensively this spring than he was even at the end of last season.

 

First base was never his position of choice, he's relatively new there. Derrek Lee has been a first baseman his entire career save a few games at third (what were they thinking?) a decade ago. Adrian Gonzalez, first baseman figuratively at birth. I've never expected Jacobs be anything other than average at his position, but I do think he's entitled to (hopefully) a healthy year before being judged too harshly.

 

Clearly he fails this season the handwriting is on the wall.

  • Author

My votes were around the same as yours, but you forgot to list C there though

 

 

Fixed

Just curious to see others opinions on this. I think we match up pretty well against the Mets. Apart from the pretty obvious positions of CF, and 3rd base, I think we match up well at every other position.

 

LF I pick Willy over Alou. Although Alou can still rake, he's alway injured and going on 42. Willy is

entering his prime, and plays everyday. Of course this is assuming his back is fine.

 

CF Beltran hands down...

 

RF Ryan Church is a nice player, but hasn't really been able to land a starting job until now.

Hermida has superstar potential, and if his second half of 07' is any indication, he has arrived.

 

3rd David Wright hands down...

 

SS Jose Reyes only loses here because Hanley is so good. He has the defensive advantage, but

I'm hoping Hanley will improve in that area this year.

 

2nd If Luis Castillo were in his prime I would take him over Uggla just because of his speed and

defense. But he is aging quickly, and his intangibles at this point don't make up for Uggla's

25-30 hr's.

 

1st I'm giving the advantage to Delgado here because of his reputation and career numbers.

But he has a bad hip, is coming off of bad year, and is terrible defensively. The problem is

that Jacobs hasn't proven anything yet, and is terrible defensively himself.

 

C I'm going to go with a tie on this one. Schneider is a nice veteran catcher but he doesn't hit

much anymore. He does have a slight edge defensively over Treanor. I do think Treanor will

hit more than Schneider, and I think he will also catch alot more games than Rabelo.

 

SP After Johan Santana, the Mets rotation is full of question marks. Is Pedro healthy and can he

still be effective? Which Oliver Perez is going to show up? El Duque? Is Pelfrey ready? Can

Maine repeat his nice 07' season. However, our rotation at the moment is full of unproven

youngsters, so mainly because of Johan, advantage Mets.

 

BP The Mets have the big name closer, but I think the Marlins have the much deeper pen. I

especially love our left handers.

 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we will have a better season than the Mets or that we will win our division. However, it's not inconceivable that we compete in our divsion and the NL wild card late into September..

 

 

I am dumbfounded by many statements I have read on here that state "The Marlins can't compete until 2011" or something similar to that. The Marlins offense has proven they are a force to be dealt with. The bullpen is one of the strongest aspects of the team. Although people wont think of our bench as a great part of the team, it has great potential with players like Luis Gonzalez, Alfredo Amezaga, Cody Ross that all have great abilities to perform at the plate, and on the field. The fact that everyone assumes that there is no chance we can make a run is ridiculous. All it boils down to is the rotation. I understand the rotation is up in the air right now. Who's going to perform well, and who's not? Everyone has bad mouthed Hendrickson without even giving him a chance to prove what he's capable of. Just because someone was great or even average at their last job, doesn't mean they will perform the same at a new job. Look at what the team has been able to accomplish with closers. I'm not saying we're going to be a contender or even close to one, but the fact that everyone is writing them off completely, is incomprehensible. With a team like this, it kind of pisses one off that the FO doesn't just sign a couple good starters to try and compete. If it doesn't work out, trade them by the deadline.

  • Author

I would take exception with one thing and that is the Jacobs has not shown improvement defensively since coming to the Marlins. Aside from being sent out there on a fractured in leg or playing with a broken hand/thumb/whatever it was Jacobs when healthy has shown enough improvement to say he can work his way to being an average major league defender at first base. He's clearly better defensively this spring than he was even at the end of last season.

 

First base was never his position of choice, he's relatively new there. Derrek Lee has been a first baseman his entire career save a few games at third (what were they thinking?) a decade ago. Adrian Gonzalez, first baseman figuratively at birth. I've never expected Jacobs be anything other than average at his position, but I do think he's entitled to (hopefully) a healthy year before being judged too harshly.

 

Clearly he fails this season the handwriting is on the wall.

 

 

I'm just grading him right now as is. I agree he can get better in time. I just think that right now, either because of inexperience or lack of ability (still to be determined), he is still a below average defensive player.. I am however hoping for a breakout season offensively from him. He has a ton of power.. Little long on the swing though..

Just curious to see others opinions on this. I think we match up pretty well against the Mets. Apart from the pretty obvious positions of CF, and 3rd base, I think we match up well at every other position.

 

LF I pick Willy over Alou. Although Alou can still rake, he's alway injured and going on 42. Willy is

entering his prime, and plays everyday. Of course this is assuming his back is fine.

 

CF Beltran hands down...

 

RF Ryan Church is a nice player, but hasn't really been able to land a starting job until now.

Hermida has superstar potential, and if his second half of 07' is any indication, he has arrived.

 

3rd David Wright hands down...

 

SS Jose Reyes only loses here because Hanley is so good. He has the defensive advantage, but

I'm hoping Hanley will improve in that area this year.

 

2nd If Luis Castillo were in his prime I would take him over Uggla just because of his speed and

defense. But he is aging quickly, and his intangibles at this point don't make up for Uggla's

25-30 hr's.

 

1st I'm giving the advantage to Delgado here because of his reputation and career numbers.

But he has a bad hip, is coming off of bad year, and is terrible defensively. The problem is

that Jacobs hasn't proven anything yet, and is terrible defensively himself.

 

C I'm going to go with a tie on this one. Schneider is a nice veteran catcher but he doesn't hit

much anymore. He does have a slight edge defensively over Treanor. I do think Treanor will

hit more than Schneider, and I think he will also catch alot more games than Rabelo.

 

SP After Johan Santana, the Mets rotation is full of question marks. Is Pedro healthy and can he

still be effective? Which Oliver Perez is going to show up? El Duque? Is Pelfrey ready? Can

Maine repeat his nice 07' season. However, our rotation at the moment is full of unproven

youngsters, so mainly because of Johan, advantage Mets.

 

BP The Mets have the big name closer, but I think the Marlins have the much deeper pen. I

especially love our left handers.

 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we will have a better season than the Mets or that we will win our division. However, it's not inconceivable that we compete in our divsion and the NL wild card late into September..

 

 

I am dumbfounded by many statements I have read on here that state "The Marlins can't compete until 2011" or something similar to that. The Marlins offense has proven they are a force to be dealt with. The bullpen is one of the strongest aspects of the team. Although people wont think of our bench as a great part of the team, it has great potential with players like Luis Gonzalez, Alfredo Amezaga, Cody Ross that all have great abilities to perform at the plate, and on the field. The fact that everyone assumes that there is no chance we can make a run is ridiculous. All it boils down to is the rotation. I understand the rotation is up in the air right now. Who's going to perform well, and who's not? Everyone has bad mouthed Hendrickson without even giving him a chance to prove what he's capable of. Just because someone was great or even average at their last job, doesn't mean they will perform the same at a new job. Look at what the team has been able to accomplish with closers. I'm not saying we're going to be a contender or even close to one, but the fact that everyone is writing them off completely, is incomprehensible. With a team like this, it kind of pisses one off that the FO doesn't just sign a couple good starters to try and compete. If it doesn't work out, trade them by the deadline.

 

 

:notworthy Couldn't agree more. Were last in the CBS Power Rankings. Don't get it at all

Just curious to see others opinions on this. I think we match up pretty well against the Mets. Apart from the pretty obvious positions of CF, and 3rd base, I think we match up well at every other position.

 

LF I pick Willy over Alou. Although Alou can still rake, he's alway injured and going on 42. Willy is

entering his prime, and plays everyday. Of course this is assuming his back is fine.

 

CF Beltran hands down...

 

RF Ryan Church is a nice player, but hasn't really been able to land a starting job until now.

Hermida has superstar potential, and if his second half of 07' is any indication, he has arrived.

 

3rd David Wright hands down...

 

SS Jose Reyes only loses here because Hanley is so good. He has the defensive advantage, but

I'm hoping Hanley will improve in that area this year.

 

2nd If Luis Castillo were in his prime I would take him over Uggla just because of his speed and

defense. But he is aging quickly, and his intangibles at this point don't make up for Uggla's

25-30 hr's.

 

1st I'm giving the advantage to Delgado here because of his reputation and career numbers.

But he has a bad hip, is coming off of bad year, and is terrible defensively. The problem is

that Jacobs hasn't proven anything yet, and is terrible defensively himself.

 

C I'm going to go with a tie on this one. Schneider is a nice veteran catcher but he doesn't hit

much anymore. He does have a slight edge defensively over Treanor. I do think Treanor will

hit more than Schneider, and I think he will also catch alot more games than Rabelo.

 

SP After Johan Santana, the Mets rotation is full of question marks. Is Pedro healthy and can he

still be effective? Which Oliver Perez is going to show up? El Duque? Is Pelfrey ready? Can

Maine repeat his nice 07' season. However, our rotation at the moment is full of unproven

youngsters, so mainly because of Johan, advantage Mets.

 

BP The Mets have the big name closer, but I think the Marlins have the much deeper pen. I

especially love our left handers.

 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we will have a better season than the Mets or that we will win our division. However, it's not inconceivable that we compete in our divsion and the NL wild card late into September..

 

 

I am dumbfounded by many statements I have read on here that state "The Marlins can't compete until 2011" or something similar to that. The Marlins offense has proven they are a force to be dealt with. The bullpen is one of the strongest aspects of the team. Although people wont think of our bench as a great part of the team, it has great potential with players like Luis Gonzalez, Alfredo Amezaga, Cody Ross that all have great abilities to perform at the plate, and on the field. The fact that everyone assumes that there is no chance we can make a run is ridiculous. All it boils down to is the rotation. I understand the rotation is up in the air right now. Who's going to perform well, and who's not? Everyone has bad mouthed Hendrickson without even giving him a chance to prove what he's capable of. Just because someone was great or even average at their last job, doesn't mean they will perform the same at a new job. Look at what the team has been able to accomplish with closers. I'm not saying we're going to be a contender or even close to one, but the fact that everyone is writing them off completely, is incomprehensible. With a team like this, it kind of pisses one off that the FO doesn't just sign a couple good starters to try and compete. If it doesn't work out, trade them by the deadline.

 

 

Were last in the CBS Power Rankings. Don't get it at all

 

Wow. How can we be ranked last? If I remember, we finished in the top 4 in the league last year in homers. We're bound to finish in the top 6 atleast this year.

 

Just goes to show you, alot of people don't know what the hell the're talking about. :thumbup

While I agree that we will be murdering balls out of any ballpark this year, our rotation is going to make it difficult to get some wins.

Marlins will be a bottom 5 team this year and that's ok.

 

 

aaaahhh look who it is, the same dood that went talking smack about the heat saying the Knicks were the s****... get the f outta here...

Marlins will be a bottom 5 team this year and that's ok.

 

 

aaaahhh look who it is, the same dood that went talking smack about the heat saying the Knicks were the s****... get the f outta here...

 

?

 

The Knicks suck, the heat are even worse. DWhistle is breaking down as we speak.

BTW my picks..

 

C- Schneider, obviously he's not going to be a great hitter for us but I expect his OBP anywhere from 330-350 for us.

1B- Delgado. Not even close even with Delgado on the decline although I do like Jacobs.

2B- Uggly. He is god awful defensively but he has great pop. I love what Castillo does for us but Uggly is better offensively.

SS- Reyes. Much more important to our team then Hanley is to the Marlins especially defensively. Hanley was a god last year but I don't see him duplicating what he did but he will be a top 3 SS in baseball. Reyes is on another planet defensively, defense up the middle is a big part for our team.

3B- David Wright.. Arguably the best player in the NL last year.

CF- Beltran..

LF- Alou.. The best pure hitter on either team in the OF when healthy.

RF- Hermaphrodite- Love this kid's potential.

 

SP- Mets

BP- Mets

C - Schneider

1B - Delgado, this guy is a beast even with that hip problem.

2B- Uggla, got a ton of Love for Castillo but Uggla just has the power.

SS - Hanley Ramirez beats it out, Reyes is good. Hanley is better.

3B - David Wright obviously

CF - Beltran... No Explanation needed.

LF - Willingham, just love what he brings to the team.

RF - Hermida, continue where he left off from All Star break last year and we golden.

  • Author

BTW my picks..

 

C- Schneider, obviously he's not going to be a great hitter for us but I expect his OBP anywhere from 330-350 for us.

1B- Delgado. Not even close even with Delgado on the decline although I do like Jacobs.

2B- Uggly. He is god awful defensively but he has great pop. I love what Castillo does for us but Uggly is better offensively.

SS- Reyes. Much more important to our team then Hanley is to the Marlins especially defensively. Hanley was a god last year but I don't see him duplicating what he did but he will be a top 3 SS in baseball. Reyes is on another planet defensively, defense up the middle is a big part for our team.

3B- David Wright.. Arguably the best player in the NL last year.

CF- Beltran..

LF- Alou.. The best pure hitter on either team in the OF when healthy.

RF- Hermaphrodite- Love this kid's potential.

 

SP- Mets

BP- Mets

 

No doubt that David Wright is good, but wasn't even the best 3rd baseman in the league last year.

Castillo > Uggla

 

Castillo has great D. Sure he doesn't have the same pop as Uggla but you have to remember that Castillo is going to be more consistent offensively.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.