March 29, 200818 yr I was just watching ESPN's Telecast of the Civil Rights game and they showed on screen the current minority executives in MLB. The obvious ones were there- Minaya, Moreno, Williams, and Reagin. However, Michael Hill was on the bottom as General Manager for the Florida Marlins. I thought Admin Beinfest was the GM. Who is Hill? Chris
March 29, 200818 yr Michael Hill is the new GM this season. He was the Assistant GM last year Admin Beinfest is the President of Baseball Operations, in which he acts as the de facto GM.
March 29, 200818 yr Author So Hill is only GM in name and in times such as the GM meetings. Beinfest is in charge of Player Personel and Baseball Duties day to day?
March 29, 200818 yr I think that's true for the most part, it seemed to be a pointless change in titles this season. Hill is a very well thought-of guy around the league. If Beinfest ever leaves I hope he sticks around.
March 29, 200818 yr Samson's title is President, Beinfest is President of Baseball Operations. Samson heads the business side of things.
March 30, 200818 yr Samson's job responsibilities consist of the following: 1) Talk in an incredibly annoying voice that makes the hair's on the back of your neck stand straight up. 2) Make untimely and completely inappropriate comments during crucial moments (with the exception of the recent votes in which it appeared he was taking anti-anxiety pills which reduced his "annoyingness" greatly. 3) Participate in Rain Delay IronMan documentaries.
March 30, 200818 yr I think that's true for the most part, it seemed to be a pointless change in titles this season. Hill is a very well thought-of guy around the league. If Beinfest ever leaves I hope he sticks around. As you probably know but needs to be restated, Hill wasn't thought to stick around for much longer without a better title, pay and job. He got all three although Beinfest plays a prominent role in all baseball matters.
March 30, 200818 yr I think that's true for the most part, it seemed to be a pointless change in titles this season. Hill is a very well thought-of guy around the league. If Beinfest ever leaves I hope he sticks around. As you probably know but needs to be restated, Hill wasn't thought to stick around for much longer without a better title, pay and job. He got all three although Beinfest plays a prominent role in all baseball matters. I hadn't heard anything like that, but it's probably real close to what actually was happening at the time of the "promotions." Basically they created a title for Admin and moved Hill up into the GM title. I don't see where anything has really changed except that Mike now talks a little more to the media types. Of course, I don't see what is happening on the day to day operations behind the scenes. He is Admin's protege and doing a fine job. If you ever have the opportunity to talk to Mike, do it. He is a soft spoken, very baseball smart guy. Easy to talk to and good sense of humor. The man has a future in his trade and IMO has one of the best ones tutoring him through some of the more stickier times a team can go through.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.