5/6 Postgame thread

Anyone else laugh when Cody came in with the double switch in the bottom of the 9th to play defense... with Brett Carroll on the bench.

Come on Fredi. Think.

Ooookaaaayyyyyy. I've never really been a Cody fan, but we did win. kinda makes that "Come on Fredi. Think" remark out of place. Dontcha think?

Not really. Ross over Carroll as a defensive replacement is moronic.

The only thing Carroll has on Ross defensively is that he runs faster. Cody is a better defender in CF, and I don't see how you can argue otherwise statistically. I understand how excited everyone got when Carroll threw out a few runners a while back, but remember that it also had to do with the fact that people were running on Carroll when they might not otherwise run against other players.

Honestly, Brett Carroll is a good corner OF, but he isn't a better CF than Cody.

Weird.... I was just watching Baseball tonight to see the Marlins Highlights and to see if they mention Scott since he had the line of the night for all SP's. But in the hour long episode of BBTN they did not show the Marlins highlights at all, they did not even mention them at all in the show, I mean not even the score, like the game did not exist. Ohh well....

"I beg to differ"

But you'd be wrong. Not a shutout, not a CG, not a no hitter.

Oly was one pitch from two of those three, and we still managed to get a shutout.

Weird.... I was just watching Baseball tonight to see the Marlins Highlights and to see if they mention Scott since he had the line of the night for all SP's. But in the hour long episode of BBTN they did not show the Marlins highlights at all, they did not even mention them at all in the show, I mean not even the score, like the game did not exist. Ohh well....

"I beg to differ"

Olsen's line was better.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/dailyleaders

Anyone else laugh when Cody came in with the double switch in the bottom of the 9th to play defense... with Brett Carroll on the bench.

Come on Fredi. Think.

Ooookaaaayyyyyy. I've never really been a Cody fan, but we did win. kinda makes that "Come on Fredi. Think" remark out of place. Dontcha think?

The only thing Carroll has on Ross defensively is that he runs faster. Cody is a better defender in CF, and I don't see how you can argue otherwise statistically. I understand how excited everyone got when Carroll threw out a few runners a while back, but remember that it also had to do with the fact that people were running on Carroll when they might not otherwise run against other players.

Honestly, Brett Carroll is a good corner OF, but he isn't a better CF than Cody.

"I beg to differ"

But you'd be wrong. Not a shutout, not a CG, not a no hitter.

Oly was one pitch from two of those three, and we still managed to get a shutout.

I am not Gavin Floyd.

Come on Fredi. Think.

Moronic? Brett has been up here all of one week. This year Cody has been in 20 games for 116.1 innings with zero errors. Last year it was 61 games for 393.2 innings with 3 errors. I would say Fredi went with his hot hand instead of an "unknown" quantity. I'm not going to argue that Brett may turn out to be the better replacement OFer in the future. (Heck, I think Cody is future trade bait.) But for right now, go with what you absolutely know you have in a pressure situation. Ross can cover just as much, if not more, territory in LF as Gonzo can and has a stronger arm. I had no problem with that replacement. And we won.

Better repeat that because for some reason it is escaping some folks. AND WE WON. Let the motorboat imitations begin. "butbutbutbutbut..."

Come on Fredi. Think.

Actually, he replaced Gonzo in LF.

According to Baseball Prospectus, Olsen's Batting Average Against is VERY low which sounds good but the reality is, a lot of the balls hit in play are being hit to position players.

Translation: When is BAA goes up to a normal level, he might not look as lights out as he has.

/debbie downer

But there is no doubt his attitude is much better (if you don't consider that he hasn't had many chances to lose his cool because he has had a tremendous amount of success so far.

/negative Nancy.

Seriously though, I want him to succeed and it's been great so far but I want to see how Olsen does when Hanley boots an easy grounder and it causes 3 runs to score. We haven't really had that scenario yet. I REALLY HOPE he handles it well.