May 12, 200818 yr it's an interesting for number of listings, no the least is how few truly quality starters will be going free agent at the end of the season. i'd make a few observations. first, it just took maddox what nine tries to get to 350. second, we don't need a guy to throw innings, we need someone to throw QUALITY innings with regularity and experience. forget about aj, that ain't happening for so many reasons. i also beieve IF this was going to occur better now or soon, certainly sooner rather than later when every team is going to bidding for the same six top flite guys. historically beinfest likes to be early. the task at hand is to hold onto the nine games over five hundred, or as close to that number, as we can. ninety-one wins in 2008 in the NL has to mean the playoffs. i have no idea what happens going forward, just responding to the question at hand. it's just a hypothetical.
May 12, 200818 yr Yeah, it took 9 tries for Maddux to get to 350, because the Padres are god awful and have no offense.
May 12, 200818 yr Yeah, it took 9 tries for Maddux to get to 350, because the Padres are god awful and have no offense. actually it's because someone would have be delusional to think he's half the pitcher was two seasons ago.
May 12, 200818 yr it's an interesting for number of listings, no the least is how few truly quality starters will be going free agent at the end of the season. i'd make a few observations. first, it just took maddox what nine tries to get to 350. second, we don't need a guy to throw innings, we need someone to throw QUALITY innings with regularity and experience. forget about aj, that ain't happening for so many reasons. i also beieve IF this was going to occur better now or soon, certainly sooner rather than later when every team is going to bidding for the same six top flite guys. historically beinfest likes to be early. the task at hand is to hold onto the nine games over five hundred, or as close to that number, as we can. ninety-one wins in 2008 in the NL has to mean the playoffs. i have no idea what happens going forward, just responding to the question at hand. it's just a hypothetical. So far this season Greg Maddux has a 3.60 ERA and a 1.16 WHIP Every year since 2003 (last season with Braves) he has posted an ERA UNDER 4.24 with no fewer than 198 IP... that more than meets your quota... PLUS Maddux is extraordinary with young pitchers and can help develop Miller/Badenhop/etc... He is 42 years old and will not require a ton of stuff to trade to the Padres to acquire him if they are out of the race... Don't hate on the Mad Dog...
May 12, 200818 yr Yeah, it took 9 tries for Maddux to get to 350, because the Padres are god awful and have no offense. actually it's because someone would have be delusional to think he's half the pitcher was two seasons ago. Apparently you're going to hate on Maddux... because he's actually putting up numbers, this year and last, MUCH better than he did two years ago...
May 12, 200818 yr Yeah, it took 9 tries for Maddux to get to 350, because the Padres are god awful and have no offense. actually it's because someone would have be delusional to think he's half the pitcher was two seasons ago. Apparently you're going to hate on Maddux... because he's actually putting up numbers, this year and last, MUCH better than he did two years ago... apparentally you have not idea what you're talking about. since early 2003 when i joined here I have never "hated " on a single major league player, marlin or otherwise, not my style, maybe it's yours. please be my guest and check. I think the last time was even upset with a player was alex gonzalez in 2004 or 05 at his lackadaisical approach at the plate early one season. that said I could have better said he isn't the pitcher we saw a few years ago instead of putting a number on it but who knew someone be knit-picking something meant in the figurative sense. Or maybe you think he's as good today as he was with the Braves? I don't. But that doesn't mean I don't admire and respect one of the best pitchers in the last decade and a shoe-in hall of famer. But I admit and plead guilty to making my comment in the context of the dominating Braves pitcher we saw for so many years, the image I think most people have of the guy. But being a teenager you might not even be aware of his performances before you were born.
May 12, 200818 yr The rotation is putting it together right now. What more do you want? if you're asking me, and funny I don't you mean that in the literal sense, we could in my estimation use a (generic term) all-star guy who could take the pressure off rushing sanchez or mitre or johnson etc, secondly with the belief it would be too much to ask to believe we get through the entire season without at least one starter going down with an injury, whether it be short or long term.
May 12, 200818 yr Yeah, it took 9 tries for Maddux to get to 350, because the Padres are god awful and have no offense. actually it's because someone would have be delusional to think he's half the pitcher was two seasons ago. Apparently you're going to hate on Maddux... because he's actually putting up numbers, this year and last, MUCH better than he did two years ago... apparentally you have not idea what you're talking about. since early 2003 when i joined here I have never "hated " on a single major league player, marlin or otherwise, not my style, maybe it's yours. please be my guest and check. I think the last time was even upset with a player was alex gonzalez in 2004 or 05 at his lackadaisical approach at the plate early one season. that said I could have better said he isn't the pitcher we saw a few years ago instead of putting a number on it but who knew someone be knit-picking something meant in the figurative sense. Or maybe you think he's as good today as he was with the Braves? I don't. But that doesn't mean I don't admire and respect one of the best pitchers in the last decade and a shoe-in hall of famer. But I admit and plead guilty to making my comment in the context of the dominating Braves pitcher we saw for so many years, the image I think most people have of the guy. But being a teenager you might not even be aware of his performances before you were born. I realize that you don't actually "hate on" players, but I did mean that you seemed to be viewing Maddux as a poor option, when in every reality he is anything but... he provides numerous services to this club that other guys on that list wouldn't... And yes, he isn't 1.63 ERA 0.811WHIP Maddux anymore... but what he is is a solid, dependable pitcher, one that can mentor, that can eat QUALITY innings and that can be useful in the playoffs. It'd be lunacy to compare Maddux of today to Maddux of the early-to-mid 90's... so I don't think you've ever read any of my posts... every time I present some idea/suggestion I use some form of logic or reasoning to back it up... Also, I grow tired of hearing the "well, you're too young to remember" argument... I don't have to see him pitch to know that he is one of the most dominant pitchers of this generation... the guy put up mind boggling numbers... I mean, c'mon 0.811 WHIP in 200+ IP ?!?!?!!? That's almost unreal... But in the same context, if we're looking for a pitcher at the deadline... it'd be exponentially easier in terms of what we give up to acquire Maddux than it would to get Joe SuperAcePitcher. And his residual effect on the other pitchers would end up with the same net result in terms of a team performance. He makes the pitchers around him better, something that it's debateable that others would do...
May 12, 200818 yr The good thing about Maddux is his non-existant injury history and the fact that he is known as one of the smartest pitchers ever to play the game. That could only help a roation as young as ours is. You also know what you're going to get from him, as opposed to a guy who is up-and-down throughout his career. Unless there are money issues (and with so many arby eligible players, as well as other teams biddin for Maddux, that could happen), I don't really see a downside to going after him, even if it's just a one-year rental. EDIT: After reading Eric's post below me, I'm reminded that we are deep in pitching and may not go after ANY starters, let alone Maddux. The way I feel is, if his signing forces a guy like Volstad or Tucker to spend another year in the minors (or to not offer arby to one of our young players who may not have a future with the club, a Mitre type), all the better. I'd rather have them spend an extra year in the minors than come up too early.
May 12, 200818 yr The rotation is putting it together right now. What more do you want? if you're asking me, and funny I don't you mean that in the literal sense, we could in my estimation use a (generic term) all-star guy who could take the pressure off rushing sanchez or mitre or johnson etc, secondly with the belief it would be too much to ask to believe we get through the entire season without at least one starter going down with an injury, whether it be short or long term. The health of the rotation overall is set to improve with the recovery of Mitre and Sanchez, and there are at least 3 viable injury replacement options within the organization.
May 12, 200818 yr Author because if they keep this up during the latter part of the season, it'd be nice to have someone who has been through it before, the pressure & pennant races... not Mark Hendrickson, as wonderful a surprise as he's been, he's always been a #5 starter for mediocre or bad teams... so a guy like Maddux, Lowe, Penny (not that any of those would be available or necessarily attainable) would mean A LOT. Expecting a super push from Josh Johnson, Volstad, Anibal, etc, would be great & akin to lightning in a bottle like Dontrelle and Livan provided, but I don't think you can expect that from any of them.
May 12, 200818 yr The good thing about Maddux is his non-existant injury history and the fact that he is known as one of the smartest pitchers ever to play the game. That could only help a roation as young as ours is. You also know what you're going to get from him, as opposed to a guy who is up-and-down throughout his career. Unless there are money issues (and with so many arby eligible players, as well as other teams biddin for Maddux, that could happen), I don't really see a downside to going after him, even if it's just a one-year rental. EDIT: After reading Eric's post below me, I'm reminded that we are deep in pitching and may not go after ANY starters, let alone Maddux. The way I feel is, if his signing forces a guy like Volstad or Tucker to spend another year in the minors (or to not offer arby to one of our young players who may not have a future with the club, a Mitre type), all the better. I'd rather have them spend an extra year in the minors than come up too early. :thumbup
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.