September 5, 200818 yr Not so sure about that. His numbers finally took a huge dive this year. Could be the beginning of the end for Redmond.
September 5, 200818 yr Not so sure about that. His numbers finally took a huge dive this year. Could be the beginning of the end for Redmond. Hmm, I hadn't looked at them since the break, when he was still hitting pretty well against LHP, but it's taken a big dip since then. You might be right.
September 5, 200818 yr I'd perfer LoDuca over Redmond I'd say David Ross is probably who I'd want the most. Well, I'd actually want Olivo the most, but I doubt KC declines his options, they're using him exactly as he should be used showing they know his value against LHP. Blanco would be cool too considering his defense but again, CHC is probably going to pick up his option to back up Soto. But I'd also probably have Toby Hall ahead of Mike Redmond too, although probably behind LoDuca. Now LoDuca will be an interesting case. According to here, Lo Duca could be a Type B FA based almost entirely off what he did in 2007 (Keep in mind those are PROJECTIONS). What I say we do is offer LoDuca arbitration. If he declines, we get a compensation pick (best case scenerio even though we then wouldn't be able to re-sign Lo Duca). If he accepts, we work out a contract for about a mil, and we have an ok RH C back up for Baker (as I still severely doubt this FO makes a trade for a topline C spec). Now, offering Lo Duca is also assuming two things. One, that Lo Duca's last contract (aka the minor league contract we gave him) is the one that counts for comparision, not the one he got from Washington this year (5m). And two, that even if the 5m one counts, that Cots is right that the 80% doesn't apply to free agents being offered arbitration. If the 80% rule does apply to that 5m, we don't offer him arbitration because he makes atleast 4m. I think the LoDuca scenario is the most interesting. He's at a point in his career where platooning makes sense. I like the arbitration idea if ,as you say, the 80% rule doesn't apply or applies to his Marlin contract. Who would know the definite answer to that?
September 5, 200818 yr Author Who would know the definite answer to that? Somebody with access to the rule book, and only MLB personnel are (which I think is real stupid). So unfortunately, us commoners are only told second hand info. I would say though that if it's on cots, it has an extreme likelyhood of being right.
September 22, 200818 yr Just wanted to bump this thread again because Nny presented some interesting stats. Yet another couple of weeks have passed and Bake continues to put up similar numbers. Looking at his #s vs RHP in particular, his stats have gone up each month. Righty splits are now at .322/.410/.490 Plate discipline? 22 walks vs 27 K's. Going to be awfully interesting to see what he does with a full season. I mean we all feel sorta vindicated having chanted "PLEASE CALL UP BAKER" for a year and a half, but it's pretty hard to see him keeping up this kind of production. Guy's been just terrific. Shame they didn't call him up sooner.
September 22, 200818 yr Shame they didn't call him up sooner. The Marlins seem to have a habit of doing this stuff (I believe it was Josh Willingham in 2004?)
September 22, 200818 yr Just wanted to bump this thread again because Nny presented some interesting stats. Yet another couple of weeks have passed and Bake continues to put up similar numbers. Looking at his #s vs RHP in particular, his stats have gone up each month. Righty splits are now at .322/.410/.490 Plate discipline? 22 walks vs 27 K's. Going to be awfully interesting to see what he does with a full season. I mean we all feel sorta vindicated having chanted "PLEASE CALL UP BAKER" for a year and a half, but it's pretty hard to see him keeping up this kind of production. Guy's been just terrific. Shame they didn't call him up sooner. As long as they get a guy who can hit lefties, I see no reason how Baker and other guy can't OPS a .750 minimum. And that's real generous cause you'd expect Bake to hit at least righties better than that, and whoever lefties. That would be 11th in baseball in 2008, 6th in baseball in 2007, and 15th in 2006 (big catcher year apparently), in catcher production. If that is the floor performance, we are doing something incredibly right at the position.
September 26, 200818 yr Shame they didn't call him up sooner. The Marlins seem to have a habit of doing this stuff (I believe it was Josh Willingham in 2004?) He was consistently overlooked because he didn't have experience, while schmoes like Hoover did.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.