Mr Nolasco. Thank You.

Schnellders

April 2008 - Hendrickson, Vanden Hurk, Miller, Olsen, Badenhop.

Things were bleak in the Spring with the rotation above. Yes several of them have potential to develop into decent pitchers and in Miller's case the potential to be a future ace. If you thought it would be a long season, in particular the 1st half until the reinforcements arrived, you wouldnt have been the only one.

However in a time of possible despair, a certain Ricky Nolasco got a chance in the rotation and not only did he grasp it, he surpassed everyone's highest expectations of him and all of a sudden earned the right to be called an ace. Early on, each time he took to the mound I was sure that it would be the time when he would get hit hard and sink back to the average guy we saw in 2006. However with each inning and each sweeping curve utilised to devastating effect, my confidence in Ricky grew, and I'm sure his did too.

The following stats show Ricky's 2008 numbers compared to the projections CBS gave him before the season began. Laugh and enjoy!

Projected Innings: 153.0 Actual: 212.3

Projected Record: 7-11 Actual: 15-8

Projected ERA: 4.71 Actual: 3.52

Projected Strikeouts/Walks: 106/45 Actual: 186/42

Projected WHIP: 1.42 Actual: 1.10

Also in their preseason analysis: While he does have some upside, we don't expect him to make a serious impact in Fantasy this season -- especially for a rebuilding team that won't sniff .500.

And now: Nolasco has proven to be an ace for the upstart Marlins and will enter as one of the team's 200-plus-inning horses. Consider him a sleeper among the top 35 starters for Draft Day 2009 at this point.

Ricky has ended 2008 as one of the best pitchers in the league, something which I would never have imagined saying 6 months ago. For his unbeliavable, sustained performances, Ricky Nolasco, I thank you!!!

Nolasco has been UNBELIAVABLE this year. He has surpassed everyone's expactations. he has been one of the top pitchers in the league, and thats with two bad months. he has established himself as the Ace of this staff, and i cant thank him enough.

LOL, and the crazy part is i couldnt stand him at the beginning of the year. I wanted him traded, released, demoted, anything to get rid of him. I never saw him as an ace, and i thought he was an average at best pitcher. Then, not only did he shut me up, but now he's my favorite pitcher on the staff.

And some people still refuse to call him the ace, on this very board, when they put out their 2009 lineups...

I am one of them, just because he had a good year this year, doesn't promise us a great year next year, i would put JJ there for safety because u know what u are getting from him. U don't know whether u are going to get the 07 Nolasco or the 08 Nolasco

Going in to the Season he is our Ace but

Volstad JJ Miller can all change that by the end

hell, why are people so fast to count out Anibal? U look at this year, but people seem to forget he had a 2.83 ERA i believe in 06. Just give him some time to relax after shoulder surgery

And some people still refuse to call him the ace, on this very board, when they put out their 2009 lineups...

I am one of them, just because he had a good year this year, doesn't promise us a great year next year, i would put JJ there for safety because u know what u are getting from him. U don't know whether u are going to get the 07 Nolasco or the 08 Nolasco

You can say that, and you have a point.

However, it's not what Nolasco has done...it's HOW he's done it. His WHIP and K:BB rate are unbelievable...and that's WITH a bad month of April...since April, he's been one of the best, really. I believe in him next season.

Out of the arbritration eligible players...Nolasco and JJ have to be the top priorities.

However, it's not what Nolasco has done...it's HOW he's done it. His WHIP and K:BB rate are unbelievable...and that's WITH a bad month of April...since April, he's been one of the best, really. I believe in him next season.

Out of the arbritration eligible players...Nolasco and JJ have to be the top priorities.

understandable, JJ and Ricky have very similar stats, although Ricky has done that throughout the entire season while JJ has done it for 2 and a half months. I still personally believe JJ is the SAFER choice. I didn't say Nolasco didn't have the higher upside, because Nolasco easily has better pitches and when he has control is more dominant. But I just don't know what i will get from him, at least i know that i will consistently get ace like #'s from JJ.

Oh yeah, I completely agre, our top priority in Arbitration is to get those two guys signed for this team next season, we do not have enough depth in the minors for pitching at the moment, so making sure we keep almost all of our starters is a priority. Although Olsen will be gone to make room for Andrew Miller's development, who I am weary of, he needs to pull a Nolasco and get control of his pitches, if he can control those pitches, he will put up Nolasco like numbers next year

understandable, JJ and Ricky have very similar stats, although Ricky has done that throughout the entire season while JJ has done it for 2 and a half months. I still personally believe JJ is the SAFER choice.

If you're basing this solely on this year...I don't see how you could say that. The stats clearly say Nolasco had a better year. I thought you were using past years, and JJ's potential (JJ was always the better prospect).

However...if you're using just this year...it's gotta be Nolasco, easily.

u can't use just this year to determine who will lead u next year. Nolasco definitely had the better year, and based on what each threw this year, i am making the assumption that Nolasco has the better "stuff". But if u want to guaruntee a 15-20 game winner next year, it would have to be JJ. I just don't know if Nolasco was just having a good year. Many pitchers have had great years just to become mediocre pitchers. Of course Nolasco would be more likely to win the cy young if he pitched next year the way he did this year, but that is highly unlikely. I would rather have JJ starting just for the pure fact that if u look in years past, JJ is the more reliable pitcher

WHAT! What he's done this year isnt a fluke. What he's done this year, is become the CLEAR CUT ace of this staff. JJ isnt, his whip is to high and he doesnt have Nolasco like control.

WHAT! What he's done this year isnt a fluke. What he's done this year, is become the CLEAR CUT ace of this staff. JJ isnt, his whip is to high and he doesnt have Nolasco like control.

In his career, Nolasco has a 4+ ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and has allowed a .263 BA against. He was also only 27-20

He was never a really good player until this year. Hell he was almost out of the rotation to begin, I believe he was our 4th starter. If he didn't have a good start, we wouldn't be talking about him right now. I just feel he MAY be a 1 year wonder, i am not saying he is, but all indications point that way, i definitely hope i am wrong, but the better choice to start opening day next year has to be JJ

u can't use just this year to determine who will lead u next year. Nolasco definitely had the better year, and based on what each threw this year, i am making the assumption that Nolasco has the better "stuff". But if u want to guaruntee a 15-20 game winner next year, it would have to be JJ. I just don't know if Nolasco was just having a good year. Many pitchers have had great years just to become mediocre pitchers. Of course Nolasco would be more likely to win the cy young if he pitched next year the way he did this year, but that is highly unlikely. I would rather have JJ starting just for the pure fact that if u look in years past, JJ is the more reliable pitcher

Most of those pitchers that have mediocre years only to go bad are the older pitchers looking for that big contract. What Nolasco did this year wasnt a fluke. It was being an Ace, and he will get better.

1.Nolasco

2.JJ

3.Volstad

4.Miller

5.Sanchez

MILLER23, u are not telling me a reason why he should be able to maintain the #'s he put up this year, ur just saying he will. So u are a believer that his first 2 seasons and the first month of this season didn't exist? I believe he may have learned to place his pitches better, but not sure if he gets flustered, that he will be able to get his composure together

In his career, Nolasco has a 4+ ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and has allowed a .263 BA against. He was also only 27-20

He was never a really good player until this year. Hell he was almost out of the rotation to begin, I believe he was our 4th starter. If he didn't have a good start, we wouldn't be talking about him right now. I just feel he MAY be a 1 year wonder, i am not saying he is, but all indications point that way, i definitely hope i am wrong, but the better choice to start opening day next year has to be JJ

Those numbers are up because of his rookie year. If you think this year was a fluke your playing yourself.

And what do you mean if he didnt have a good start we wouldnt be talkin about him? he had a terrible start. everyone wanted to put him in the bullpen by May. Then in June, he turned it up and never looked back.

true, the only reason Nolasco stayed in the rotation was because of the injuries to JJ and Anibal, and the fact that Andrew Miller should not have been put in the rotation. Nolasco really did get lucky that he was allowed to stay in the rotation, u have still not given me a reason to believe. I want to believe. But I have seen players like Nolasco fluster and become mediocre pitchers before.

a.k.a Carl Pavano

MILLER23, u are not telling me a reason why he should be able to maintain the #'s he put up this year, ur just saying he will. So u are a believer that his first 2 seasons and the first month of this season didn't exist? I believe he may have learned to place his pitches better, but not sure if he gets flustered, that he will be able to get his composure together

You are not telling me a valid reason as to why he wont be able to keep up his success. You just have a feeling he wont. Let me tell you why i think he will keep up his success, and why this year wasnt a fluke. Because the numbers he put up are to dominate. He went 200 innings, and almost had 200 SO while staying under 50 walks. His WHIP is extremely low. You cant put up these numbers, and say he isnt an ace.

You are not telling me a valid reason as to why he wont be able to keep up his success. You just have a feeling he wont. Let me tell you why i think he will keep up his success, and why this year wasnt a fluke. Because the numbers he put up are to dominate. He went 200 innings, and almost had 200 SO while staying under 50 walks. His WHIP is extremely low. You cant put up these numbers, and say he isnt an ace.

easy, Dontrelle Willis

easy, Dontrelle Willis

what?

easy, Dontrelle Willis

what?

u said name a guy with those kind of #'s in one season and sucked every other season, Dontrelle willis

how can u be telling me i don't have a reason, LOOK AT EVERY STAT BEFORE THIS YEAR

OK, that was BEFORE. The stats he put up this year are ACE like numbers. And that was with 2 bad months. The man is our ACE, and it would be a disgrace not to make him our ace next year.

the basic point that a man can get hot for an entire year. Pitchers can have Cody Ross kind of months. Nolasco maintained that over the coarse of a year. Doesn't mean he will be great next year, hopefully he is, but past track records says that he will not be able to put up these kind of #'s next year

I say around 4.30 ERA, 150 K, 1.25 WHIP next year