5 things that are overrated in baseball.

Erick

1. THE CURSE!

(Curses don't exist.)

2. "Winners"

(Players aren't "winners" if they have plenty of championships...it just means they have been at the right place at the right time).

3. "Losers"

(The opposite of #2)

4. Good "In-Game" Managers

(Good managers don't exist. Good players executing to make a manager look good does exist).

5. Bad "In-Game" Managers

(Bad managers don't exist either. This is for those who say Fredi Gonzalez is bad...when he's just like every other manager. Notice how he got a lot better this year as Daniel Barone and Chris Seddon were replaced by a healthy Josh Johnson, Chris Volstad...and a healthy, much improved Ricky Nolasco...I could manage that staff).

1) True

2) True

3) False, you very much can be a loser. Some people just crumble under pressure.

4 & 5) False. Dusty Baker disproves #5. And since bad in-game managers exist, the opposite must as well.

3) Small sample sizes play a huge part. You can't really determine that.

4 & 5) Dusty Baker is the exception.

I could manage anyone of these playoff teams during the game...and I bet you I'd win, if the players executed the moves I made. It doesn't take a genius...managers have to be amongst the most overpaid people on Earth.

Albert Pujols is a great example of #3.

I think you mean Alex Rodriguez.

No, I mean Pujols. One of the best hitters in baseball, if not the best, who is on a crappy team and gets punished for it (if that's what you meant by your #3.)

Usually when people call players' "losers" it's b/c they haven't won a championship.

Pujols already did that.

However...an overrated award IS the MVP award. It's overrated b/c people believe it HAS TO go to a player on a playoff team. It'd be a shame if Ryan Howard got that award over Pujols this year.

No, I mean Pujols. One of the best hitters in baseball, if not the best, who is on a crappy team and gets punished for it (if that's what you meant by your #3.)

Usually when people call players' "losers" it's b/c they haven't won a championship.

Pujols already did that.

However...an overrated award IS the MVP award. It's overrated b/c people believe it HAS TO go to a player on a playoff team. It'd be a shame if Ryan Howard got that award over Pujols this year.

That was my point. :|

ummm, u all do relize that Pujols just won a championship in 2006? That technically means he WON.

And there can be Winners. Without Derek Jeter, the Yankees have a lot less WS championships. The D-Backs do not win the WS in 2001 without Johnson and Schilling, and in 2003 the Marlins don't win without Beckett.

Pujols already did that.

Agreed. besides, Ryan howard didnt even carry the team during the whole season. Albert Pujols did. And another reason why i dont want him winning it is because that'll be the third philly in a row to win the MVP award.

Another over rated thing, to me, is home field advantage. I just dont see how playing at home is an advantage over the other team.

it shouldn't, but just look at teams records and compare home and away records, then come back and tell me that Home Field Advantage doesn't matter, it is also the type of field you play on, home field is most important for the fielders imo, hitters also know the field inside and out, and take for example if a ball was hit in the triangle in center at DS, players on our team know they can get a triple, while players on other teams may think they can only get a double

ummm, u all do relize that Pujols just won a championship in 2006? That technically means he WON.

And there can be Winners. Without Derek Jeter, the Yankees have a lot less WS championships. The D-Backs do not win the WS in 2001 without Johnson and Schilling, and in 2003 the Marlins don't win without Beckett.

Without Mariano Rivera, the Yankees have a lot less WS championships, as well. It took the majority of those 25 guys to get the championship...not one player.

Same with Beckett, here. Beckett might've been the best player in those playoffs...but he certainly wasn't the only one. Without the emergence of Dontrelle Willis & Miguel Cabrera the Marlins don't make the playoffs, period. etc., etc., etc.

Players don't win championships. Teams do. Players just happen to be part of the team.

Managers might be a bit overated but they are surely needed ... If you disagree you really have no idea what it takes to be a manager.

it's like saying a manager of a company does not matter because he might not have to do the job or even know how to do the job of his employees, but in the other hand if the company is doing bad it's his job to make it work or he is gone ... hence managers getting fired when a team is losing

I think I sound pretty stupid going over this but I really don't want to have to write a mile on the ins and outs of managing.

I do believe in veteran presence, winning attitude, and managing. I think they all have a serious impact on the game, the problem is the lack of loyalty players/coaches have and how little the above mentioned things have to do with one another when there is no such thing as loyalty and a true care for the game. This is the main reason why young players succeed, because they have the intensity and desire needed to win.

Without Mariano Rivera, the Yankees have a lot less WS championships, as well. It took the majority of those 25 guys to get the championship...not one player.

Same with Beckett, here. Beckett might've been the best player in those playoffs...but he certainly wasn't the only one. Without the emergence of Dontrelle Willis & Miguel Cabrera the Marlins don't make the playoffs, period. etc., etc., etc.

Players don't win championships. Teams do. Players just happen to be part of the team.

The problem you have making your argument is that you are naming players who happen to be very good or have been very good.

The guys you want to be mentioning as "winners" are guys like David Eckstien and Craig Counsell.

Managers might be a bit overated but they are surely needed ... If you disagree you really have no idea what it takes to be a manager.

They are needed off the field.

On the field, they are overrated.

It doesn't take a genius to make the decisions Fredi Gonzalez made this year. Just look at statistics.

What did he do that was so special, as far as on-field decisions?

Matched up Arthur Rhodes against lefties?

Put Helms or Amezaga in games to prevent the worst defensive 1B in baseball (Jacobs) from being in late, with leads?

Seriously...every manager nowadays, basically, follows the same pattern.

If you know how to double switch...it doesn't take a genius. And this is NL managers...AL managers have it way easier. They just have to make the lineups, before the games.

At least NL managers do SOME work.