Speed and/or Defense

sgleason02

Reading some of the posts on this site for the past week or two makes me think that some of us have forgotten that the FO has made it a priority to improve the team's speed and defense for next season. That being said, I'm not so sold on the prospective "re-positioning" of players on the current roster, and promoting from within to accomplish this goal to the extent needed to make a serious playoff push.

Here are a few players who I think could substantially improve our team in a least one of those two areas:

OF:

Alex Rios

Matt Kemp

Randy Winn

Delmon Young

Johnny Damon

Matt Holliday

Willy Taveras

Mike Cameron

Carl Crawford

Vernon Wells

Juan Pierre

Ken Griffey Jr.

Jim Edmonds

Andruw Jones

2B:

Brian Roberts

Luis Castillo

1B:

Derrek Lee

Doug Mientkiewicz

C:

Ivan Rodriguez

Jason Kendall

I'm sure there are many other players who could be added to this list. I'm just trying to do some "outside the box" thinking. Let the discussion begin.

Reading some of the posts on this site for the past week or two makes me think that some of us have forgotten that the FO has made it a priority to improve the team's speed and defense for next season. That being said, I'm not so sold on the prospective "re-positioning" of players on the current roster, and promoting from within to accomplish this goal to the extent needed to make a serious playoff push.

Here are a few players who I think could substantially improve our team in a least one of those two areas:

OF:

Alex Rios

Matt Kemp

Randy Winn

Delmon Young

Johnny Damon

Matt Holliday

Willy Taveras

Mike Cameron

Carl Crawford

Vernon Wells

Juan Pierre

Ken Griffey Jr.

Jim Edmonds

Andruw Jones

2B:

Brian Roberts

Luis Castillo

1B:

Derrek Lee

Doug Mientkiewicz

C:

Ivan Rodriguez

Jason Kendall

I'm sure there are many other players who could be added to this list. I'm just trying to do some "outside the box" thinking. Let the discussion begin.

Hahahaha...

I also think Albert Pujols, Grady Sizemore and Alex Rodriguez could improve those areas for us....

I'm going to bold the particularly "not happening" situations that made me lol...

Yes... all of them... I'm sorry but not one of those players outside of MAYBE Kendall (and that's only because I still I have Pirate fan blood/Kendall man-crush in me)...

We either a) will not be able to afford the player, b) that player sucks and can EASILY be replaced within our system as soon as now... c) made me lolwut...

Most of the players you suggested are ancient in baseball terms... and provide no upside and/or are still under contract with their teams, which would require trading for their obnoxious contracts or overrated skills.

Yes, this is probably the bluntest I've EVER been on this site outside the GoFishx2 era... but this list was really poorly constructed with little to no thought about how those players would fit or even if they'd actually HELP the team

OF:

Alex Rios

Matt Kemp

Randy Winn

Delmon Young

Johnny Damon

Matt Holliday

Willy Taveras

Mike Cameron

Carl Crawford

Vernon Wells

Juan Pierre

Ken Griffey Jr.

Jim Edmonds

Andruw Jones

2B:

Brian Roberts

Luis Castillo

1B:

Derrek Lee

Doug Mientkiewicz

C:

Ivan Rodriguez

Jason Kendall

Hahahaha...

I also think Albert Pujols, Grady Sizemore and Alex Rodriguez could improve those areas for us....

I'm going to bold the particularly "not happening" situations that made me lol...

Yes... all of them... I'm sorry but not one of those players outside of MAYBE Kendall (and that's only because I still I have Pirate fan blood/Kendall man-crush in me)...

We either a) will not be able to afford the player, b) that player sucks and can EASILY be replaced within our system as soon as now... c) made me lolwut...

Most of the players you suggested are ancient in baseball terms... and provide no upside and/or are still under contract with their teams, which would require trading for their obnoxious contracts or overrated skills.

Yes, this is probably the bluntest I've EVER been on this site outside the GoFishx2 era... but this list was really poorly constructed with little to no thought about how those players would fit or even if they'd actually HELP the team

hahahahaha

OF:

Alex Rios

Matt Kemp

Randy Winn

Delmon Young

Johnny Damon

Matt Holliday

Willy Taveras

Mike Cameron

Carl Crawford

Vernon Wells

Juan Pierre

Ken Griffey Jr.

Jim Edmonds

Andruw Jones

2B:

Brian Roberts

Luis Castillo

1B:

Derrek Lee

Doug Mientkiewicz

C:

Ivan Rodriguez

Jason Kendall

I'm sorry but not one of those players outside of MAYBE Kendall (and that's only because I still I have Pirate fan blood/Kendall man-crush in me)...

Derrek Lee

a) $13 M in '09

According to Lou's projections, trading Uggla, Jacobs, Olsen, and one of Hermida/Willingham frees up $12-13 M in '09, which the FO has already said could be spent

b)sucks and can be replaced by Gaby Sanchez?

c)don't see the humor

Any one of those OF'ers I listed have better speed or defense than Willingham and Hermida.

The same for the 2B's and Uggla.

The same for the 1B's and Jacobs.

The same for the C's and any of our current C's.

But thanks for putting so much thought into YOUR post.

Derrek Lee

a) $13 M in '09

According to Lou's projections, trading Uggla, Jacobs, Olsen, and one of Hermida/Willingham frees up $12-13 M in '09, which the FO has already said could be spent

b)sucks and can be replaced by Gaby Sanchez?

c)don't see the humor

Any one of those OF'ers I listed have better speed or defense than Willingham and Hermida.

The same for the 2B's and Uggla.

The same for the 1B's and Jacobs.

The same for the C's and any of our current C's.

But thanks for putting so much thought into YOUR post.

Ok... so let's just make this fun for me then...

So, we're supposed to get rid of all those players... to have the money... to be able to trade for... a 1B that, via platoon, we can get reasonably similar production to? That is so asinine on SO many levels...

As for the 2Bs and Uggla... Brian Roberts will cost too much and Castillo's not worth bringing in over just bringing up Coghlan who would provide probably better production than Castillo and not cost NEARLY what Roberts will... see what I did there, replaced from WITHIN the system, and much cheaper... cool huh?

1B and Jacobs? We have a stellar 3man platoon that will do just fine, I mentioned it earlier... McDallas/Cantu/Gaby will be solid.

Also, seriously... you want to pay a TON of money to Pudge to back up John Baker, because that's what he'd do... is back up John Baker and probably only play against LHP and be a defensive sub... that's not a wise way to spend money... and heck, I even conceded to Kendall a bit, though I admitted bias there. But Kendall doesn't provide that much more than a Brett Hayes will...

Oh hey, I just improved us at a bunch of positions/or gave us similar production to your alternatives, from within the system... and saved a bunch of money (by switching to Geico)... isn't that something?

Alex Rios

08:$0.735M, 09:$5.9M, 10:$9.7M, 11:$12M, 12:$12M, 13:$12.5M, 14:$12.5M, 15:$13.5M club option ($1M buyout)

Matt Kemp

LA has no reason to move him

Randy Winn

09:$8.25M..... that's an obscene amount for him

Delmon Young

why would the Twins deal him?.... would cost many prospects or a great one for him

Johnny Damon

$13mil in 2009... and he throws like a girl

Matt Holliday

09:$13.5M..... would cost the farm

Willy Taveras

Not very good at anything besides running

Mike Cameron

Had surprisingly good year for Brewers.... $9mil club option, would expect that much if free agent

Carl Crawford

09:$8.25M club option ($2.5M buyout), 10:$10M club option ($1.25M buyout)..... no reason for Rays to move him.... would cost farm anyway

Vernon Wells

09:$1.5M, 10:$12.5M, 11:$23M, 12:$21M, 13:$21M, 14:$21M.... lol

Juan Pierre

see: Willy Taveras....09:$10M, 10:$10M, 11:$8.5M... and that horrible contract

Ken Griffey Jr.

old

Jim Edmonds

old

Andruw Jones

old, bad, doesn't look good in glasses anymore

2B:

Brian Roberts

09:$8M.... no real reason for the Orioles to move him....

Luis Castillo

old

1B:

Derrek Lee

no reason for the Cubs to move him

Doug Mientkiewicz

why?

C:

Ivan Rodriguez

old, would want to start, wants too much money

Jason Kendall

old, not good at anything

But are not available, or can't hit anywhere near what they can

Alex Rios - not trading after a down year, and when they were one of the best teams in baseball in 2008 and can contend now

Matt Kemp - he's not going anywhere

Randy Winn - He does not have the hitting potential of willingham and hermida and makes a lot more cash

Delmon Young

Johnny Damon - Older, will slow down, not good for a spacious OF

Matt Holliday - not worth what you have to give up

Willy Taveras - ......... No.

Mike Cameron - He loses tons of value outside of CF and makes a bunch

Carl Crawford - He does not have the hitting potential of willingham and hermida and makes a lot more

Vernon Wells - not trading after a down year, and when they were one of the best teams in baseball in 2008 and can contend now

Juan Pierre - ............... Never say his name again

Ken Griffey Jr. - Relatively done

Jim Edmonds - Is a platoon player, but would be interesting for a year. Very unlikely as ChC will probably bring him back

Andruw Jones - Salary salary salary. Convince LAD to eat most of it and accept borderline prospects and sure. Is that likely? No.

Alright, now that we've dealt with the crap.

Delmon Young - That would be interesting because he could figure it out in a hurry and man a corner, but considering they gave up Garza and friends for him, they will expect a top package back. They have pitching, but could use a bat. They are also in win mode bring a fringe playoff team so they will need a MLB package back. This costs you Uggla. Literally.

We don't need those 2B for salary issues. It would be better to throw Coghlan in there and spell him with Amezaga.

We don't need any new 1B with Cantu, G. Sanchez, and Morrison around.

We need a RH platoon mate for Baker for sure, but it's not Kendall and sure as hell not Pudge.

Ok... so let's just make this fun for me then...

So, we're supposed to get rid of all those players... to have the money... to be able to trade for... a 1B that, via platoon, we can get reasonably similar production to? That is so asinine on SO many levels...

As for the 2Bs and Uggla... Brian Roberts will cost too much and Castillo's not worth bringing in over just bringing up Coghlan who would provide probably better production than Castillo and not cost NEARLY what Roberts will... see what I did there, replaced from WITHIN the system, and much cheaper... cool huh?

1B and Jacobs? We have a stellar 3man platoon that will do just fine, I mentioned it earlier... McDallas/Cantu/Gaby will be solid.

Also, seriously... you want to pay a TON of money to Pudge to back up John Baker, because that's what he'd do... is back up John Baker and probably only play against LHP and be a defensive sub... that's not a wise way to spend money... and heck, I even conceded to Kendall a bit, though I admitted bias there. But Kendall doesn't provide that much more than a Brett Hayes will...

Oh hey, I just improved us at a bunch of positions/or gave us similar production to your alternatives, from within the system... and saved a bunch of money (by switching to Geico)... isn't that something?

YOU are the type of person I was targetting with this post. You are concerned with the production we are getting out of these positions when the FO has already said they could give a rat's *** about the production. They want to improve the speed and defense, which is what this post is about.

How many more SB's, and how many fewer Errors will Coghlan have next year than Uggla did this year, and how many more SB's, and how many fewer Errors will your 3-way at 1st have over our 1b's this year?

YOU are the type of person I was targetting with this post. You are concerned with the production we are getting out of these positions when the FO has already said they could give a rat's *** about the production. They want to improve the speed and defense, which is what this post is about.

How many more SB's, and how many fewer Errors will Coghlan have next year than Uggla did this year, and how many more SB's, and how many fewer Errors will your 3-way at 1st have over our 1b's this year?

A) Speed =/= Stolen Bases and stolen bases are overrated anyways...

B) Gaby is a VERY solid defensive 1B and by all indications Cantu is average to maybe slightly above average... Dallas is MUCH better than Cantu defensively at 3B... so there's your improved defense... happens just by trading Jacobs...

C) Coghlan's probably about as good if maybe a little worse defensively than Uggla.... Coghlan's still learning the position, being a converted 3B and all...

D) I say again, SBs are VERY overrated...

Lastly... if you wanna target me... just whistle... you know how to whistle right?

:whistle

...still waiting to see how the speed AND DEFENSE of that lineup is an improvement over this year's...

Speed also = singles to doubles, doubles to triples, defensive range

stolen bases are an easy measure of speed, though...

Cameron Maybin is an outstanding defensive centerfielder. IMPROVEMENT.

Gaby Sanchez is an above average defensive first baseman. big IMPROVEMENT.

Chris Coghlan will at worst be Dan Uggla out there, and like I have said in the past... he isn't a bonehead either.

Awesome. I have figured out the problem with some of the board's posts lately. I think some of you are interpreting the front office's statements extremely to literal. They want to improve the team's speed and defense, this is not under debate. But this does not mean they are going to forsake general ideals of production and performance. Saying they don't give a rats ass about production, is insane. You have to realize that.

You improve the speed by putting Maybin in CF, getting a legit 4th outfielder (or roll the dice with Raynor), and get clunkers, like Jacobs, Willingham, and Gonzalez, and maybe one of Uggla or Ross, off the team.

You improve the defense by getting rid of Jacobs, putting Cantu/Sanchez at 1B, McPherson at 3B for a bunch of games, Maybin in CF, and then pray to god Hermida finally has the fire lit under his ass to stop counting stars or looking for chicks in the crowd in the middle of ball games. And how about a good backup right handed catcher that isn't a total zero to help Baker out, and as aforementioned, a more legit 4th outfielder.

This does not mean, they are going to go through wholesale changes of bringing in guys with enormous contracts, or who play defense and are fast (Taveras,etc) but can't hit the ball a lick. Granted, some of these players may be better suited for what Beinfest wants to create, I mean who doesn't want Matt Holliday or Alex Rios, but the cost of doing these things are not worth doing it for us. We can do what Beinfest wants to do, and really is obvious and should do, with our own personnel, and maybe adding "A" guy or two through trading off Gregg, Jacobs, Willingham, etc. Posting a list of names like the one in this thread, is simply not a realistic scenario for this team.

:whistle

...still waiting to see how the speed AND DEFENSE of that lineup is an improvement over this year's...

Speed also = singles to doubles, doubles to triples, defensive range

stolen bases are an easy measure of speed, though...

And just for giggles and stuff...

Coghlan had 34 stolen bases, Gaby Sanchez had 17, and Cameron Maybin had 25 (21 in AA)

there's your upgrade in speed and defense

All are as good or noticeably better defensively and faster

Something else that needs to be noted from the original post...

That being said, I'm not so sold on the prospective "re-positioning" of players on the current roster, and promoting from within to accomplish this goal to the extent needed to make a serious playoff push.

We very nearly made the playoffs after missing most of our starting rotation for most of the year... having Willingham go down with the back injury, Uggla disappear for most of the second half and the misadventures of Kevin Gregg (and Renyel Pinto breaking down, et al)...

So, you're saying that having a healthy pitching staff for most of the season... even if we just return 100% of the roster with no changes... you don't feel we could make some noise in the playoffs?

Thank you Lou and Rambo. I appreciate your responses. I realize many of those players on the list have glaring holes in their games, specifically their offense, but I still feel that some of them would help with the whole speed and defense thing.

Okay, so you guys have sold me that by trading away Jacobs, and bringing up Maybin and Coghlan we get more speed. I still don't think that promoting Maybin, Coghlan, and Gaby will improve the team defense to the extent the FO is looking for.

I think that being rookies in a new "unfamiliar" ballpark coupled with the fact that all three will be getting their first taste of extended MLB experience will account for a few "rookie mistakes." Throw McPherson in there at 3rd and essentially, you have 4 rookies on the starting roster next year, 3 in the infield. That makes it hard for me to imagine our team defense improving a whole lot, no matter what their "ability" is.

I think the FO would rather have a couple veterans of the all-defense mold on the roster. Which ones? It's all relative to what the other teams want in exchange and how much salary they'll eat. But if the FO comes across a good deal on one of those "defense-first" players, I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump on it.

Something else that needs to be noted from the original post...

That being said, I'm not so sold on the prospective "re-positioning" of players on the current roster, and promoting from within to accomplish this goal to the extent needed to make a serious playoff push.

We very nearly made the playoffs after missing most of our starting rotation for most of the year... having Willingham go down with the back injury, Uggla disappear for most of the second half and the misadventures of Kevin Gregg (and Renyel Pinto breaking down, et al)...

So, you're saying that having a healthy pitching staff for most of the season... even if we just return 100% of the roster with no changes... you don't feel we could make some noise in the playoffs?

You could point out just as many things that went right for us last year, just like you pointed out all the things that went wrong.

We had a bullpen that won alot of games for us at the beginning of the season. It's already been dissassebled. Do you think it will be that good next year?

Do you think we'll be lucky enough to gamble on the next "Jorge Cantu" in McPherson and have that pan out the way it did?

We had the luck of two starting pitchers having successful returns from serious arm injuries and a rookie call-up who had a lot of success as a SP. You can't count on that every year, either.

Alex Rios

08:$0.735M, 09:$5.9M, 10:$9.7M, 11:$12M, 12:$12M, 13:$12.5M, 14:$12.5M, 15:$13.5M club option ($1M buyout)

Matt Kemp

Randy Winn

Delmon Young

why would the Twins deal him?.... would cost many prospects or a great one for him

Johnny Damon

Matt Holliday

Willy Taveras

Mike Cameron

Had surprisingly good year for Brewers.... $9mil club option, would expect that much if free agent

Carl Crawford

09:$8.25M club option ($2.5M buyout), 10:$10M club option ($1.25M buyout)..... no reason for Rays to move him.... would cost farm anyway

Vernon Wells

Juan Pierre

Ken Griffey Jr.

old

Jim Edmonds

old

Andruw Jones

2B:

Brian Roberts

Luis Castillo

old

1B:

Derrek Lee

Doug Mientkiewicz

why?

C:

Ivan Rodriguez

Jason Kendall

lol...this was nice...and i agree with all except one: pudge

Thank you Lou and Rambo. I appreciate your responses. I realize many of those players on the list have glaring holes in their games, specifically their offense, but I still feel that some of them would help with the whole speed and defense thing.

Okay, so you guys have sold me that by trading away Jacobs, and bringing up Maybin and Coghlan we get more speed. I still don't think that promoting Maybin, Coghlan, and Gaby will improve the team defense to the extent the FO is looking for.

I think that being rookies in a new "unfamiliar" ballpark coupled with the fact that all three will be getting their first taste of extended MLB experience will account for a few "rookie mistakes." Throw McPherson in there at 3rd and essentially, you have 4 rookies on the starting roster next year, 3 in the infield. That makes it hard for me to imagine our team defense improving a whole lot, no matter what their "ability" is.

I think the FO would rather have a couple veterans of the all-defense mold on the roster. Which ones? It's all relative to what the other teams want in exchange and how much salary they'll eat. But if the FO comes across a good deal on one of those "defense-first" players, I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump on it.

The thing about that statement though... the diamond (on the infield) is still really the same proportions, the only niche would be the foul territory corner infielders would have to cover. Outside of our open dugouts, there's not much that would make playing infield defense dramatically different for those players. It's not like outfielders have to learn routes off walls and stuff.

Also, improving defense at 1B alone will dramatically improve the infield defense as a whole... you'd be surprised how much replacing Jake with Cantu/Gaby would go to improving defense by itself

You could point out just as many things that went right for us last year, just like you pointed out all the things that went wrong.

We had a bullpen that won alot of games for us at the beginning of the season. It's already been dissassebled. Do you think it will be that good next year?

Do you think we'll be lucky enough to gamble on the next "Jorge Cantu" in McPherson and have that pan out the way it did?

We had the luck of two starting pitchers having successful returns from serious arm injuries and a rookie call-up who had a lot of success as a SP. You can't count on that every year, either.

The bullpen was good because it was good, it declined because it got disgustingly overworked... so yes, in short, with better SP helping them, I can see our bullpen being pretty darn good today

McPherson isn't going to be a "full-time" starter, a la Cantu... McPherson will be used in situations he has primarily been successful in, e.g. against RHP (and little to no LHP)... and if he has a hard go of it, there's always Gaby or maybe Helms every now and then...

We don't need to worry about pitchers coming back from injury this year *knock on wood, yet* they're up and Volstad has been pitching successfully as he was predicted to, he probably won't have an ERA under 3 next season, but he's reliable and has projected to be so...

I think we're fine on a lot of counts, yes

The thing about that statement though... the diamond (on the infield) is still really the same proportions, the only niche would be the foul territory corner infielders would have to cover. Outside of our open dugouts, there's not much that would make playing infield defense dramatically different for those players. It's not like outfielders have to learn routes off walls and stuff.

Also, improving defense at 1B alone will dramatically improve the infield defense as a whole... you'd be surprised how much replacing Jake with Cantu/Gaby would go to improving defense by itself

The defense and speed both improve drastically just with the obvious changes that will happen. Jacobs was meh at 1st, Cantu was horrible at 3rd, that eliminates a ton of errors right there. Maybin has shown no issues playing centerfield in the majors so I doubt him being a rookie will impact his defense much. I agree the lineup needs fixing, but I'm hoping Uggla stays, I don't think having one player like that is bad, and his defense is definitely underrated. I'm really not sure how many players from outside the organization will even be targeted, Gregg/Jacobs won't get a huge return in a trade, Scott Olsen should but I'm not sure what kind.

Alex Rios

Matt Kemp

Randy Winn

Delmon Young

Johnny Damon

Matt Holliday

Willy Taveras

Mike Cameron

Carl Crawford

Vernon Wells

Juan Pierre

Ken Griffey Jr.

old

Jim Edmonds

old

Andruw Jones

2B:

Brian Roberts

Luis Castillo

old

1B:

Derrek Lee

Doug Mientkiewicz

why?

C:

Ivan Rodriguez

Jason Kendall

Yes there is so my couzin finally gets a shot to be in the MLB he's a 2b/ss in High A for the O's

But we probably wont get any of theese guys except maybe Pudge if he signs a smaller contract which is less likely to happen