A's get Holliday

knglover

To Oakland: Matt Holliday

To Colorado: Greg Smith, Carlos Gonzalez, and Huston Street.

This is a very anti-Beane move in my estimation. He must have something up his sleeve.

Not at all an anti-beane move...

they opened payroll a bit this season

if he's out of the race, Beane will trade Holliday for better stuff anyways, at the ASB

and if they don't re-sign him

he gets draft picks

Closers are overrated anyways

Billy Beane 101

(awkward formatting because I copy/pasted an IM)

This is a very anti-Beane move in my estimation. He must have something up his sleeve.

if he's out of the race, Beane will trade Holliday for better stuff anyways, at the ASB

he gets draft picks

Billy Beane 101

1) It contradicts everything that he talks about (financially) in Moneyball.

2) Did their payroll open enough for them to afford Matt Holliday? I doubt it.

This is an unprecedented Beane move.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/arti...sp&c_id=oak

And it's not amazing in terms of money, Beane's only "financial" constraints are bestowed to him by ownership, he'd love to have the money to do what he likes. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the Rockies to chip in a little bit too... if he doesn't... he's only paying him for this one season, if that. So how does it contradict EVERYTHING he talks about? He's handed out a big contract to Eric Chavez and spent a good deal of money on Esteban Loaiza... this isn't that big a deal in that regard

In 2007 the A's had a payroll of $ 79,366,940 and in 2008 it was $ 47,967,126

Loaiza made 6-7M a year in his two years (2006-2007)... and Eric Chavez made 11M last year... and 12M this coming year, Jason Kendall made between 10-12M in HIS three seasons (2005-2007)

Matt Holliday is WAY better than those 3 are, so in that regard, he's less of a gamble too. This is totally Billy Beane 101.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/arti...sp&c_id=oak

And it's not amazing in terms of money, Beane's only "financial" constraints are bestowed to him by ownership, he'd love to have the money to do what he likes. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the Rockies to chip in a little bit too... if he doesn't... he's only paying him for this one season, if that. So how does it contradict EVERYTHING he talks about? He's handed out a big contract to Eric Chavez and spent a good deal of money on Esteban Loaiza... this isn't that big a deal in that regard

In 2007 the A's had a payroll of $ 79,366,940 and in 2008 it was $ 47,967,126

Loaiza made 6-7M a year in his two years (2006-2007)... and Eric Chavez made 11M last year... and 12M this coming year, Jason Kendall made between 10-12M in HIS three seasons (2005-2007)

Matt Holliday is WAY better than those 3 are, so in that regard, he's less of a gamble too. This is totally Billy Beane 101.

But would you not disagree that Billy Beane's philosophy is to trade away big name players for cheaper guys who are just as productive? This is the exact opposite. It is not vintage Beane.

But would you not disagree that Billy Beane's philosophy is to trade away big name players for cheaper guys who are just as productive? This is the exact opposite. It is not vintage Beane.

It's Beane's philosophy to improve his team as much as he can given his available resources. It's not about any one thing, it's about getting better. He's traded plenty of pretty good players... Eric Hinske for Billy Koch... Hinske went on to win ROY and fade into semi-obscurity, Carlos Pena when he was a huge prospect and so on. Beane traded for Kendall too.. it's just how he works, he gets what he needs with what he can spare.

Given the resources (more payroll/deep system) and the need (more offense) Beane made a move that he couldn't in FA... especially given if Holliday were a FA and would make a lot more than he is this year and ultimately, he lost Greg Smith and Carlos Gonzalez... I read somewhere the Rockies will move Street shortly and even if they don't... Closers are overrated... especially going to COL. Now Smith and Gonzalez are pretty good, but really he got great value from the Rox considering what they were asking for Fuentes down the stretch... and despite the humidor, COL is still COL, which lowers a pitcher's value.

Plus he maintains the ability to trade Holliday at his whim/desire.

Beane got what he needed for what he could spare and can possibly recover that AND get more at the ASB or he could stand pat and take 2 first round picks, another move he's infamous more.

is this really that much better of an offer than say: Olsen, Hermida and Lindstrom?

I feel like the marlins could have offered much more than what the A's offered while not really losing much from our starting line up

Yeah, by most standards... it should be - regardless... WE couldn't have afforded Holliday, WE don't have 30M in salary space

he gets draft picks

Billy Beane 101

Oakland loses nothing by making this deal, Street lost his closing job to Ziegler who has done a great job for the A's, while trading prospects, and losing from an area of strength the A's gain arguably one of the most potent LF's in the game for years to come. If he is not resigned or Beane doesn't intend on resigning him he will flip him before the deadline, and get 3X what he paid. I am surprised the Dodgers didn't try and snag him by offering a package involving Clayton Kershaw (Beane loves pitching,) and completely removing themselves from the Manny sweepstakes and investing in much needed starting pitching......hmmm, point being the A's pretty much lost prospects in this deal, and until they prove themselves that is all they will be...PROSPECTS, while Holliday swings for the fences in Oakland. To be honest I think the A's will keep him, I mean they already flipped Swisher to the Yankees.

Oakland loses nothing by making this deal, Street lost his closing job to Ziegler who has done a great job for the A's, while trading prospects, and losing from an area of strength the A's gain arguably one of the most potent LF's in the game for years to come. If he is not resigned or Beane doesn't intend on resigning him he will flip him before the deadline, and get 3X what he paid. I am surprised the Dodgers didn't try and snag him by offering a package involving Clayton Kershaw (Beane loves pitching,) and completely removing themselves from the Manny sweepstakes and investing in much needed starting pitching......hmmm, point being the A's pretty much lost prospects in this deal, and until they prove themselves that is all they will be...PROSPECTS, while Holliday swings for the fences in Oakland. To be honest I think the A's will keep him, I mean they already flipped Swisher to the Yankees.

Swisher got traded from the WHITE SOX to the Yanks