Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Things that bothered me in tonight's game...

Featured Replies

Maybe I'm being picky but I'm curious to see if anyone agrees with any of these...

 

The inning where Hermida singled in Hanley, and then Cody doubled with 2 outs and Porter stopped Hermida from trying to score...doesn't that seem wrong no matter how close the play is likely to be? He should be aware that with 2 outs it will be JJ hitting and the chances of him getting the run in are very close to 0%, the odds of Hermida scoring on that play had to be much better, plus in a close game it seems like you need to take the chance there..not to mention it wasn't an easy play for Dickerson and he would've had to have made a pretty good throw I'd think.

 

Also, when JJ was pulled in the 8th, Fredi brought in Meyer to pitch to Votto and he got the out after 2 pitches. I was surprised that he pulled him for Nunez at that point, considering it's a tie game in the 8th and if the game goes long (which it did) you could feasibly run out of relievers early. That coupled with the fact that the next batter after Phillips was Bruce who is a lefty...didn't make much sense. If he was that worried about Phillips hitting vs the lefty, why not just bring in Pinto to begin with, as I believe he has very similar splits vs right/left handed hitters.

Maybe I'm being picky but I'm curious to see if anyone agrees with any of these...

 

The inning where Hermida singled in Hanley, and then Cody doubled with 2 outs and Porter stopped Hermida from trying to score...doesn't that seem wrong no matter how close the play is likely to be? He should be aware that with 2 outs it will be JJ hitting and the chances of him getting the run in are very close to 0%, the odds of Hermida scoring on that play had to be much better, plus in a close game it seems like you need to take the chance there..not to mention it wasn't an easy play for Dickerson and he would've had to have made a pretty good throw I'd think.

 

Also, when JJ was pulled in the 8th, Fredi brought in Meyer to pitch to Votto and he got the out after 2 pitches. I was surprised that he pulled him for Nunez at that point, considering it's a tie game in the 8th and if the game goes long (which it did) you could feasibly run out of relievers early. That coupled with the fact that the next batter after Phillips was Bruce who is a lefty...didn't make much sense. If he was that worried about Phillips hitting vs the lefty, why not just bring in Pinto to begin with, as I believe he has very similar splits vs right/left handed hitters.

 

 

Many things about the pen argument:

 

1) No one wants to see Pinto in a tie game if it can be avoided.

2) Votto crushes RHP and Nunez isn't good against LHB

3) Meyer is terrible against RHB and Phillips absolutely destroys LHP.

4) You don't play for extra innings at home, you play for the win.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with the way Fredi handled that 8th inning.

Maybe I'm being picky but I'm curious to see if anyone agrees with any of these...

 

The inning where Hermida singled in Hanley, and then Cody doubled with 2 outs and Porter stopped Hermida from trying to score...doesn't that seem wrong no matter how close the play is likely to be? He should be aware that with 2 outs it will be JJ hitting and the chances of him getting the run in are very close to 0%, the odds of Hermida scoring on that play had to be much better, plus in a close game it seems like you need to take the chance there..not to mention it wasn't an easy play for Dickerson and he would've had to have made a pretty good throw I'd think.

 

Also, when JJ was pulled in the 8th, Fredi brought in Meyer to pitch to Votto and he got the out after 2 pitches. I was surprised that he pulled him for Nunez at that point, considering it's a tie game in the 8th and if the game goes long (which it did) you could feasibly run out of relievers early. That coupled with the fact that the next batter after Phillips was Bruce who is a lefty...didn't make much sense. If he was that worried about Phillips hitting vs the lefty, why not just bring in Pinto to begin with, as I believe he has very similar splits vs right/left handed hitters.

 

 

Many things about the pen argument:

 

1) No one wants to see Pinto in a tie game if it can be avoided.

2) Votto crushes RHP and Nunez isn't good against LHB

3) Meyer is terrible against RHB and Phillips absolutely destroys LHP.

4) You don't play for extra innings at home, you play for the win.

 

one thing

 

3) we're obviously talking about a small sample size but 6k, 1BB, 2h in 6 IP for Meyer against RHP, and he also hasn't really had that much of a difference in the minors. Certainly a big plus on phillies absolutely destroys LHP. IT's the only thing he can hit. just defending meyer a bit.

So like what's the issue with Fredi's bullpen management? He made some moves and got out of the 8th inning scoreless. The moves were successful.

Maybe I'm being picky but I'm curious to see if anyone agrees with any of these...

 

The inning where Hermida singled in Hanley, and then Cody doubled with 2 outs and Porter stopped Hermida from trying to score...doesn't that seem wrong no matter how close the play is likely to be? He should be aware that with 2 outs it will be JJ hitting and the chances of him getting the run in are very close to 0%, the odds of Hermida scoring on that play had to be much better, plus in a close game it seems like you need to take the chance there..not to mention it wasn't an easy play for Dickerson and he would've had to have made a pretty good throw I'd think.

 

Also, when JJ was pulled in the 8th, Fredi brought in Meyer to pitch to Votto and he got the out after 2 pitches. I was surprised that he pulled him for Nunez at that point, considering it's a tie game in the 8th and if the game goes long (which it did) you could feasibly run out of relievers early. That coupled with the fact that the next batter after Phillips was Bruce who is a lefty...didn't make much sense. If he was that worried about Phillips hitting vs the lefty, why not just bring in Pinto to begin with, as I believe he has very similar splits vs right/left handed hitters.

 

 

Many things about the pen argument:

 

1) No one wants to see Pinto in a tie game if it can be avoided.

2) Votto crushes RHP and Nunez isn't good against LHB

3) Meyer is terrible against RHB and Phillips absolutely destroys LHP.

4) You don't play for extra innings at home, you play for the win.

 

I feel uncomfortable when Pinto enters a game, but ya gotta admit, he has been pretty effective as of late. Hard to argue with success.

 

I only had one problem that I commented on during the game. Helms came in to PH and got the single. Boni comes up and gets a single. Then Fredi puts in Amazega to PR for Helms. I wondered why Fredi didn't do that with Helms at 1B if he was going to have someone PR for him anyway. Amazega is quicker on the bases and his style can get in the Ds head a bit. Maybe Amazega ends up at 3B on that hit, then one long sac fly and just maybe this game dosen't go 4 1/2 hours. But hindsight is 20/20. All in all Fredi out managed Dusty.

Porter should have sent him, but then I'd pretty much send everyone.

 

I'm all for sending guys. But I was on my feet hollering out to NOT send him. Porter made the right choice. Very little chance he scores.

  • Author

Porter should have sent him, but then I'd pretty much send everyone.

 

I'm all for sending guys. But I was on my feet hollering out to NOT send him. Porter made the right choice. Very little chance he scores.

 

You think with 2 outs there is a higher chance JJ gets him in via a hit, then him to score on that play?

  • Author

So like what's the issue with Fredi's bullpen management? He made some moves and got out of the 8th inning scoreless. The moves were successful.

 

Well I could easily be wrong, but the fact that it worked out definitely isn't proof that his decision was right. The game could've easily gone different ways and it could've resulted in problems.

So like what's the issue with Fredi's bullpen management? He made some moves and got out of the 8th inning scoreless. The moves were successful.

 

Well I could easily be wrong, but the fact that it worked out definitely isn't proof that his decision was right. The game could've easily gone different ways and it could've resulted in problems.

 

 

The decision was right because he went with the matchups.

 

Votto's career .OPS is 65 points lower against lefties than it is against righties. (hence the reason for the LOOGY matchup with Meyer).

 

At that point (once Meyer got the out) you don't want to leave Meyer in to face Phillips.

 

Brandon Phillips career #'s

VS. LHP: .290/.340/.499

VS. RHP: .247/.294/.390

 

Thus, the decision was a good one.

 

(Unlike Dusty Baker who's an idiot & decided to leave Arthur Rhodes to face Paulino last night...fortunately for Dusty, that just so happened to work out for him).

Porter should have sent him, but then I'd pretty much send everyone.

 

I'm all for sending guys. But I was on my feet hollering out to NOT send him. Porter made the right choice. Very little chance he scores.

 

You think with 2 outs there is a higher chance JJ gets him in via a hit, then him to score on that play?

Yes, because he, like I, feel there is something like a 10% chance that JJ drives him in and a 2% chance that he is safe at the plate. Plus, if he was out, JJ would have had to leadoff the next inning.

Porter should have sent him, but then I'd pretty much send everyone.

 

I'm all for sending guys. But I was on my feet hollering out to NOT send him. Porter made the right choice. Very little chance he scores.

 

You think with 2 outs there is a higher chance JJ gets him in via a hit, then him to score on that play?

Yes, because he, like I, feel there is something like a 10% chance that JJ drives him in and a 2% chance that he is safe at the plate. Plus, if he was out, JJ would have had to leadoff the next inning.

 

That was likely the key to the whole decision

  • Author

Porter should have sent him, but then I'd pretty much send everyone.

 

I'm all for sending guys. But I was on my feet hollering out to NOT send him. Porter made the right choice. Very little chance he scores.

 

You think with 2 outs there is a higher chance JJ gets him in via a hit, then him to score on that play?

Yes, because he, like I, feel there is something like a 10% chance that JJ drives him in and a 2% chance that he is safe at the plate. Plus, if he was out, JJ would have had to leadoff the next inning.

 

Maybe, I really think it's much lower than 10% that JJ will get a hit, and there's no way it's that low that Hermida can score, he took a huge turn around 3rd he was already going full speed, Dickerson had to dig the ball out of the corner, he was all the way over, it definitely would've required good throws.

Porter should have sent him, but then I'd pretty much send everyone.

 

I'm all for sending guys. But I was on my feet hollering out to NOT send him. Porter made the right choice. Very little chance he scores.

 

You think with 2 outs there is a higher chance JJ gets him in via a hit, then him to score on that play?

Yes, because he, like I, feel there is something like a 10% chance that JJ drives him in and a 2% chance that he is safe at the plate. Plus, if he was out, JJ would have had to leadoff the next inning.

 

Maybe, I really think it's much lower than 10% that JJ will get a hit, and there's no way it's that low that Hermida can score, he took a huge turn around 3rd he was already going full speed, Dickerson had to dig the ball out of the corner, he was all the way over, it definitely would've required good throws.

Well, JJ has a .109 career BA, meaning he gets a hit just about 10% of the time. He actually hits .129 against RHP, so it's closer to 13%.

 

 

(I got this from the FSN Ohio feed.)

 

That's where Alex Gonzalez was standing with the ball as Hermida had just rounded 3rd. He was a dead duck. The reason I gave him 2% was because maybe Alex Gonzalez, the arguably the best defensive SS ever in Florida, might have made a bad throw this one time.

 

But when I'm counting on bad defense from Alex Gonzalez, I rather just not try it.

Porter should have sent him, but then I'd pretty much send everyone.

 

I'm all for sending guys. But I was on my feet hollering out to NOT send him. Porter made the right choice. Very little chance he scores.

 

You think with 2 outs there is a higher chance JJ gets him in via a hit, then him to score on that play?

Yes, because he, like I, feel there is something like a 10% chance that JJ drives him in and a 2% chance that he is safe at the plate. Plus, if he was out, JJ would have had to leadoff the next inning.

 

Maybe, I really think it's much lower than 10% that JJ will get a hit, and there's no way it's that low that Hermida can score, he took a huge turn around 3rd he was already going full speed, Dickerson had to dig the ball out of the corner, he was all the way over, it definitely would've required good throws.

 

in regards to that, JJ has a .109 life time batting average (so about 11% chance he gets a hit) and a .146 OBP (so a 14.6% chance he doesn't make an out).

 

edit: oops

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.