July 26, 200917 yr I'm sorry man I guess we don't feel the same way. I would never just stop wanting to win because the guy was pitching a perfect game in the eighth and I don't feel that anyone with any true competitive spirit would either. It has nothing to do with competitive spirit. Yeah, the team is going to try to get that hit. But in terms of a game... which will you remember watching... the one hitter where we got a bloop hit in the 8th inning, or the perfect game where the pitcher just made history. But, I'm glad you know what "true" competitive spirit is. It's not about not wanting to win, it's about witnessing history and the context of the game makes that history all the more vivid. I understand the history aspect, but what I'd rather win that game to give our team a better chance of getting into the playoffs and making history, instead of hoping we lose so an opposing pitcher can make history and we miss the playoffs by one game. Chances are, if you missed the playoffs by one game, you never really "deserved" to go see: Mets, New York What? Obviously you didn't deserve to go if you didn't lead your division or win the wild card...but if you had won that game and won the division or wild card then of course you deserve to go...I fail to see your logic.
July 26, 200917 yr What? Obviously you didn't deserve to go if you didn't lead your division or win the wild card...but if you had won that game and won the division or wild card then of course you deserve to go...I fail to see your logic. I can't say it any better than I did... if, over the course of a 162 game season, you miss the playoffs by ONE game, then you didn't deserve to go. And, in each league, you'll play every team in your league at least 5-6 times anyways, (home/away)... so handle your business then.
July 26, 200917 yr What? Obviously you didn't deserve to go if you didn't lead your division or win the wild card...but if you had won that game and won the division or wild card then of course you deserve to go...I fail to see your logic. I can't say it any better than I did... if, over the course of a 162 game season, you miss the playoffs by ONE game, then you didn't deserve to go. And, in each league, you'll play every team in your league at least 5-6 times anyways, (home/away)... so handle your business then. Of course you don't deserve to go! You didn't win enough games...That's like saying if you didn't win the division or wild card you didn't deserve to go, no sh*t. Not sure what that has to do with this conversation.
July 26, 200917 yr Of course you don't deserve to go! You didn't win enough games...That's like saying if you didn't win the division or wild card you didn't deserve to go, no sh*t. Not sure what that has to do with this conversation. You're saying that, as a baseball fan, you couldn't root for a no-hitter because there's a chance it'd eliminate your team from the playoffs... I'm saying that if it came down to one game anyways, that the team didn't deserve to go, so that's a moot point. You're throwing around these idealized concepts of competitiveness that are just paramount to "I only root for my team and nothing else"... I'm saying that's just foolish... and, it's going to be weird coming from me, someone who grew up with ESPN and such, but TV has ruined the allure of a no-hitter. Nowadays with the internet and TV, if a no-hitter's/perfect game's going on, the average baseball fan will know it and get to see it... so, a no-hitter/perfect game against your team was your only chance of seeing one
July 26, 200917 yr Of course you don't deserve to go! You didn't win enough games...That's like saying if you didn't win the division or wild card you didn't deserve to go, no sh*t. Not sure what that has to do with this conversation. You're saying that, as a baseball fan, you couldn't root for a no-hitter because there's a chance it'd eliminate your team from the playoffs... I'm saying that if it came down to one game anyways, that the team didn't deserve to go, so that's a moot point. You're throwing around these idealized concepts of competitiveness that are just paramount to "I only root for my team and nothing else"... I'm saying that's just foolish... and, it's going to be weird coming from me, someone who grew up with ESPN and such, but TV has ruined the allure of a no-hitter. Nowadays with the internet and TV, if a no-hitter's/perfect game's going on, the average baseball fan will know it and get to see it... so, a no-hitter/perfect game against your team was your only chance of seeing one I was rooting for Buehrle to throw the perfect game, so no I don't root for my team and nothing else. And sure I perfect game/no-hitter would be great to see, but it would hurt me to watch my team get completely dominated, and take away most of the enjoyment from that game. I dont agree about "not deserving it" what does that even mean? Of course you don't deserve it if you don't make it.
July 26, 200917 yr I was rooting for Buehrle to throw the perfect game, so no I don't root for my team and nothing else. And sure I perfect game/no-hitter would be great to see, but it would hurt me to watch my team get completely dominated, and take away most of the enjoyment from that game. I dont agree about "not deserving it" what does that even mean? Of course you don't deserve it if you don't make it. You made a big deal about missing the playoffs by one game... c/o something like a no-hitter or something. What I'm saying is, letting something ultimately inconsequential like potentially missing the playoffs by one game, when a team has a TON of chances to make up for that dampen the appreciation for a historical performance is kind of petty, especially for a perfect game, where all the stars just have to align. Look at St Louis as an example of something like this, they're the type of town that stands up and applauds the pitcher for his performance, in-game. Notable exception would include the Cubs, but everyone has an exception.
July 26, 200917 yr I was rooting for Buehrle to throw the perfect game, so no I don't root for my team and nothing else. And sure I perfect game/no-hitter would be great to see, but it would hurt me to watch my team get completely dominated, and take away most of the enjoyment from that game. I dont agree about "not deserving it" what does that even mean? Of course you don't deserve it if you don't make it. You made a big deal about missing the playoffs by one game... c/o something like a no-hitter or something. What I'm saying is, letting something ultimately inconsequential like potentially missing the playoffs by one game, when a team has a TON of chances to make up for that dampen the appreciation for a historical performance is kind of petty, especially for a perfect game, where all the stars just have to align. Look at St Louis as an example of something like this, they're the type of town that stands up and applauds the pitcher for his performance, in-game. Notable exception would include the Cubs, but everyone has an exception. I suppose it makes some sense, It would just make me feel dirty about rooting against my team.
July 27, 200917 yr Ok it game 7 of the 09 world series marlins vs yanks and were down by 1 going into the bottom of the ninth and CC is pitching a perfect game. What are you rooting for PWG the fish win or history? I think once playoffs start you can root against no no's and perfecto's when it's against your team. The reg season though I agree with you, if a guy has a perfect game going into the 9 against the fish I'd like to see it. However I will only root for it once a year after that I will always root for the fish win. I couldnt take getting no hit twice In a season or no hit and having a perfect game thrown against us.
July 27, 200917 yr Ok it game 7 of the 09 world series marlins vs yanks and were down by 1 going into the bottom of the ninth and CC is pitching a perfect game. What are you rooting for PWG the fish win or history? I think once playoffs start you can root against no no's and perfecto's when it's against your team. The reg season though I agree with you, if a guy has a perfect game going into the 9 against the fish I'd like to see it. However I will only root for it once a year after that I will always root for the fish win. I couldnt take getting no hit twice In a season or no hit and having a perfect game thrown against us. lol @ extremism
July 27, 200917 yr Ok it game 7 of the 09 world series marlins vs yanks and were down by 1 going into the bottom of the ninth and CC is pitching a perfect game. What are you rooting for PWG the fish win or history? I think once playoffs start you can root against no no's and perfecto's when it's against your team. The reg season though I agree with you, if a guy has a perfect game going into the 9 against the fish I'd like to see it. However I will only root for it once a year after that I will always root for the fish win. I couldnt take getting no hit twice In a season or no hit and having a perfect game thrown against us. lol @ extremism If we lose the world series by 1 game we didn't deserve it anyway.
July 27, 200917 yr Ok it game 7 of the 09 world series marlins vs yanks and were down by 1 going into the bottom of the ninth and CC is pitching a perfect game. What are you rooting for PWG the fish win or history? I think once playoffs start you can root against no no's and perfecto's when it's against your team. The reg season though I agree with you, if a guy has a perfect game going into the 9 against the fish I'd like to see it. However I will only root for it once a year after that I will always root for the fish win. I couldnt take getting no hit twice In a season or no hit and having a perfect game thrown against us. lol @ extremism If we lose the world series by 1 game we didn't deserve it anyway. If you lose a game be one run you didn't deserve it anyways. That make 0 sense!! its not that you didnt deserve it is that you got outplayed when it counted!
July 27, 200917 yr Ok it game 7 of the 09 world series marlins vs yanks and were down by 1 going into the bottom of the ninth and CC is pitching a perfect game. What are you rooting for PWG the fish win or history? I think once playoffs start you can root against no no's and perfecto's when it's against your team. The reg season though I agree with you, if a guy has a perfect game going into the 9 against the fish I'd like to see it. However I will only root for it once a year after that I will always root for the fish win. I couldnt take getting no hit twice In a season or no hit and having a perfect game thrown against us. lol @ extremism If we lose the world series by 1 game we didn't deserve it anyway. lol @ 1 series = 162 game season
July 27, 200917 yr GRD, I think what we want you to see is this. You're at a game, and your team is getting a perfect game thrown against them. As the game gets into the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings, you're increasingly being more amazed and concerned with that than you are about your team coming back and winning. If your team happens to break up the perfect game, you of course are excited as hell about that, and if you come back and win, even better. But by the end of the game, if the perfect game is thrown, you're more concerned with the fact that you just witnessed a pitcher throw a perfect game than you are with the fact that your team lost 1 game out of 162.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.