Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lindstrom could return next homestand

Featured Replies

closer by committee until someone emerges

 

Send Lindstrum to the minors and keep him there until he earns his way back onto the team.

 

I'd argue that someone emerged.

 

And his name is Leonel Nunez.

 

And he is getting very close to his career high in IPs at this level. Only once has he gone back to back games in save situations. He has 7 saves in 10 opportunities, the only saves in his career. It's not like he is a big guy that can continually let his body absorb the "punishment" of closing out games.

 

Bring Lindy up, send down a position player, and go with 13 pitchers for a bit. Hopper is starting Saturday (and out the next 2 games) and RVH hasn't shown he can get past 5 IPs in an outing. No need to tax the pen at this stage or to send a notice to Dr Andrews that he may have a patient soon. Better safe than sorry.

 

 

I'm not even sure what that means, or how it can be proven.

Are you saying Leo can't handle a lot of games or close games b/c he's too skinny?

 

Ever been near Leo? (Don't go by the bio. Bios are unreliable when it comes to hgt and wgt.) I actually like the kid alot. But let's not get carried away here. Without doing heavy research because I am far too lazy and frankly never have the expendable time for that, I don't know how it can be proven either. But look at his history at this level. He dosen't log many innings per year. Then look around MLB and notice how many reliable, long term (or even short term) closers are smallish. I'm sure there are 1 or 2. Just like there are starters like The Freak (no offense to Tim, but it's the nickname for him that I keep hearing). But on the whole? Then look at his annual IPs again.

 

Point is, bring Lindy up and let the 3-way competition for the closers role begin.

closer by committee until someone emerges

 

Send Lindstrum to the minors and keep him there until he earns his way back onto the team.

 

I'd argue that someone emerged.

 

And his name is Leonel Nunez.

 

And he is getting very close to his career high in IPs at this level. Only once has he gone back to back games in save situations. He has 7 saves in 10 opportunities, the only saves in his career. It's not like he is a big guy that can continually let his body absorb the "punishment" of closing out games.

 

Bring Lindy up, send down a position player, and go with 13 pitchers for a bit. Hopper is starting Saturday (and out the next 2 games) and RVH hasn't shown he can get past 5 IPs in an outing. No need to tax the pen at this stage or to send a notice to Dr Andrews that he may have a patient soon. Better safe than sorry.

 

That's probably going to be Gaby.

 

And what do you mean being a big guy and absorb the "punishment" of closing games?

Was that sarcasm?

 

 

No. It was an observation/opinion. I happen to like Leo quite a bit. I also don't think he has the correct attitude for the closers role. But that's another discussion.

 

His last 2 appearances he has given up 4 hits and 3 runs and is nearing his career high in IPs. Something to keep in mind. I don't see him securing the closers role for the remainder of the season. That's all I'm saying.

Leo Nunez threw 144 innings in A ball in 2004.

He threw 92 in 2007 between the majors and minors.

 

I'm not saying minor league innings and major league innings are the same or put the same stress on the arm, but he's not even close to his career high in innings pitched.

Ever been near Leo? (Don't go by the bio. Bios are unreliable when it comes to hgt and wgt.) I actually like the kid alot. But let's not get carried away here. Without doing heavy research because I am far too lazy and frankly never have the expendable time for that, I don't know how it can be proven either. But look at his history at this level. He dosen't log many innings per year. Then look around MLB and notice how many reliable, long term (or even short term) closers are smallish. I'm sure there are 1 or 2. Just like there are starters like The Freak (no offense to Tim, but it's the nickname for him that I keep hearing). But on the whole? Then look at his annual IPs again.

 

Point is, bring Lindy up and let the 3-way competition for the closers role begin.

 

 

Leo Nunez used to be a starter, at one point. Don't see why innings should be such a huge problem.

Leo's surpassed his career high in games at the big league level, but he also hasn't been in the big leagues that long. He started very early, at the age of 21, but the Royals didn't strictly use him in a relief role. I guess you could be right, but I just don't think it's true.

 

The thing you said about small closers is true, though. Not sure if it's relevant or not, but it's true.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.