Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stable and Secure Health Care for Florida

Featured Replies

First of all,

 

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS POST!

 

The goal here is to write a persuasive letter to one of the representatives of Florida on our thoughts on the new health insurance plan Obama wants to pass. The following is the letter I wrote. I am being graded on the following:

Persuasiveness

Support

Focus

 

Please read over it and tell me what you think of it.

ALL CRITICISM OF ANY KIND IS ACCEPTED.

If there is any form of error in this letter, please let me now and it will be appreciated.

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN!

 

Dear ___________________,

 

 

 

First off, thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I am writing to discuss about the new health care system that is being passed and how the health insurance reform will benefit Florida. I feel that it is an excellent idea because it will help stabilize and secure health care for all residents in Florida. Statistics show that 21 percent of people in Florida are uninsured, and 73 percent of them are in families with at least one full-time worker. It has also been proven that choice is even more limited for people with pre-existing conditions. In this state, premiums can vary based on demographic factors and health status, and coverage can exclude pre-existing conditions or even be denied completely in some cases.

 

The new health insurance reform will benefit Florida because it lowers the costs for the residents of Florida. For example, it would end the hidden tax which is an indirect tax levied on goods and/or services at some point during the production cycle and paid unknowingly by the consumer. The health insurance reform will tackle this financial burden by improving our health care system and covering the uninsured, allowing many hospitals and over 50,000 physicians in Florida to better care for their patients. The health care insurance reform is also a good idea because it will provide insurance stability and security. The reform will ensure everyone will always have guaranteed choices of quality, affordable health insurance if you lose your job, switch jobs, or get sick.

 

Another way on how the health insurance reform will benefit Florida is that it will improve care for children and seniors. Statics show that 32% of children in Florida have not visited a dentist in the past year, and 35% of seniors did not receive a flu vaccine. If the health reform passes, it will ensure coverage for kids’ dental, vision, and hearing needs, and will provide quality coverage for American seniors, including recommended immunizations. It will also eliminate discrimination for pre-existing conditions, health status or gender. Health insurance reform will prevent insurance companies from denying coverage based on your health, and it will end discrimination that charges you more if you’re sick or a female.

 

Even though there are 47 million of our citizens who go uninsured because they either cannot afford the outrageous premiums or they are denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition, there are still people who are against our president's effort to reform the broken health insurance system. I, on the other hand, believe it is the right thing to do. If this plan is passed, uninsured residents across Florida will finally receive the attention they have been fighting and working for. I once again want to thank you for your time in reading this letter. God bless you.

 

Sincerely,

 

____________________

 

Adrenaline (Ill use my real name in the actual paper :lol)

Even though there are 47 million of our citizens who go uninsured because they either cannot afford the outrageous premiums or they are denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition

 

That's not true. Many people can afford to have insurance but choose not to have it. But my guess is your teacher will like that kind of BS so keep it in there and you'll get an A+.

 

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/CartoonPopUp.aspx?id=333232530356809

  • Author

Even though there are 47 million of our citizens who go uninsured because they either cannot afford the outrageous premiums or they are denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition

 

That's not true. Many people can afford to have insurance but choose not to have it. But my guess is your teacher will like that kind of BS so keep it in there and you'll get an A+.

 

http://www.ibdeditor...333232530356809

 

So what should I do?

Nix the phrase "Statistics show that...". It's a waste of space.

 

When talking about the benefits of stability, I would mention that it allows people to gamble and start new businesses without risking going without health insurance.

 

Also, what is the hidden tax you mention? It's not discussed clearly.

 

I'm not a fan of the phrase "God bless you" in a secular letter, but that's probably just because of my personal views. I wouldn't want somebody writing that in a letter to me, though.

 

I'm not sure worrying about cost discrimination toward females is a good point. Females get pregnant; men don't. Pregnancies cost a lot, and so reproductive-age females should have to pay more for comprehensive insurance.

 

Also, be sure to mention how stuff like dental care and other preventative care will reduce future costs because they stop many things which lead to expensive conditions later.

Even though there are 47 million of our citizens who go uninsured because they either cannot afford the outrageous premiums or they are denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition

 

That's not true. Many people can afford to have insurance but choose not to have it. But my guess is your teacher will like that kind of BS so keep it in there and you'll get an A+.

 

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/CartoonPopUp.aspx?id=333232530356809

Can you please direct me to some of these people you say exist? I have yet to meet one.

I was one of them, especially throughout college. I really only had to pick up health insurance when i began traveling back and forth to India.

Even though there are 47 million of our citizens who go uninsured because they either cannot afford the outrageous premiums or they are denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition

 

That's not true. Many people can afford to have insurance but choose not to have it. But my guess is your teacher will like that kind of BS so keep it in there and you'll get an A+.

 

http://www.ibdeditor...333232530356809

Can you please direct me to some of these people you say exist? I have yet to meet one.

According to the census 10 million of the unisured had income over $75k and another 13 million of the uninsured are foreign born the vast majority of which are illegals. That's half of the uninsured right there. With the changes made over the weekend Obamacare will now not cover the illegals. On the ones with income over $75k I guess whether they buy insurance will depend on what the fines are but I'm sure many of them will remain uninsured and pay the fine.

Even though there are 47 million of our citizens who go uninsured because they either cannot afford the outrageous premiums or they are denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition

 

That's not true. Many people can afford to have insurance but choose not to have it. But my guess is your teacher will like that kind of BS so keep it in there and you'll get an A+.

 

http://www.ibdeditor...333232530356809

Can you please direct me to some of these people you say exist? I have yet to meet one.

According to the census 10 million of the unisured had income over $75k and another 13 million of the uninsured are foreign born the vast majority of which are illegals. That's half of the uninsured right there. With the changes made over the weekend Obamacare will now not cover the illegals. On the ones with income over $75k I guess whether they buy insurance will depend on what the fines are but I'm sure many of them will remain uninsured and pay the fine.

That's a pretty big generalization to say that most of those 13 million that are foreign born are 'illegals'. Do you have actual proof of this? This seems like a right-wing stereotype/rumor or something.

 

Let me see this census information you are talking about. Those $75K earners could be for an entire family, it's not specific enough.

 

Obama's proposal was never going to cover illegals. I read it myself before they 'changed' it, and it's still the same thing. Who cares if they cover illegals in case of severe injury, anyway? Are they no longer human because they came into the country illegally?

I was one of them, especially throughout college. I really only had to pick up health insurance when i began traveling back and forth to India.

 

Yes, but you are at the age where you don't need insurance as much. I'm talking about older adults who choose not to buy health insurance. In most cases people that don't have health insurance can't get coverage because of a pre-existing condition, or they have been dropped from a program already for the same reason. This happens more than anyone will admit.

Even though there are 47 million of our citizens who go uninsured because they either cannot afford the outrageous premiums or they are denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition

 

That's not true. Many people can afford to have insurance but choose not to have it. But my guess is your teacher will like that kind of BS so keep it in there and you'll get an A+.

 

http://www.ibdeditor...333232530356809

Can you please direct me to some of these people you say exist? I have yet to meet one.

According to the census 10 million of the unisured had income over $75k and another 13 million of the uninsured are foreign born the vast majority of which are illegals. That's half of the uninsured right there. With the changes made over the weekend Obamacare will now not cover the illegals. On the ones with income over $75k I guess whether they buy insurance will depend on what the fines are but I'm sure many of them will remain uninsured and pay the fine.

That's a pretty big generalization to say that most of those 13 million that are foreign born are 'illegals'. Do you have actual proof of this? This seems like a right-wing stereotype/rumor or something.

 

Let me see this census information you are talking about. Those $75K earners could be for an entire family, it's not specific enough.

 

Obama's proposal was never going to cover illegals. I read it myself before they 'changed' it, and it's still the same thing. Who cares if they cover illegals in case of severe injury, anyway? Are they no longer human because they came into the country illegally?

Google the 2008 census. I looked a while back and about 80% of the foreign born without insurance are illegals. I don't think those making over $75k that currently do not have insurance will get any assistance from Obamacare but will be stronged armed into buying insurance with the threat of government fines. Also, on the illegals, until last Friday Obama opposed the requirement to verify the ones getting assistance are citizens (or maybe legal residents, not sure). But now he favors it. Good move by him.

Where did it qualify that? All it says is American Citizens.

 

Well, then it didn't need to be changed if it said American citizens already then.

What? You're confusing two different issues. I'm not talking about illegals getting free healthcare, I'm talking about you asking for specific instances of people who choose not to have coverage and then dismiss the example because I'm too young and choose not to have coverage. The 47 Million figure (actually lower, closer to 30 Million per the CBO) includes people who opt not to have coverage regardless of age and typically includes illegal immigrants as well. It's an inflated and misrepresented statistic.

OK, so what are the demographics of those people who 'choose' not to get healthcare? First of all, I want to know what measures they use to say that people are 'choosing' not to have insurance.

 

The reason I ask this is because the way that unemployment numbers are calculated, for example, deliberately leaves out a large number of people because it does not actually include EVERYONE who is unemployed (it leaves out first time job seekers, plus people who stopped looking for work). I believe for the most part they are mostly just calculating the number of people who are actually drawing unemployment. I don't think they count people who's unemployment benefits have run out. I think the same case is true when people are calculating the uninsured.

Choosing to not get health insurance is not a demographic. If your household income is $75000, and you don't have 5 kids or something, you are choosing to not carry insurance. The uninsured number, unquestionably, includes persons who elect not to carry insurance, and also illegals. The levels are debatable, some say more than half, but even if it is 40% we are facing a 'need' to cover something like 16 million people that will produce a government program that will very quickly expand to cover 300 million. That is how government programs work, one only has to look at the prescription drug coverage to figure that out.

 

I don't have health insurance. I can afford it but elect not to. I suppose if I had a massive stroke I'd be f***ed. But then, if I had a massive stroke and had health insurance, I'd still be f***ed.

Well don't you think something needs to change, where it doesn't matter if you have insurance or not? I agree that if you get severely ill/injured it's like playing Russian Roulette with the insurance companies. That badly needs to change, and that's what many people want to do. Unfortunately the bills coming out of Congress (slowly) don't go far enough, IMO.

I don't have health insurance. I can afford it but elect not to. I suppose if I had a massive stroke I'd be f***ed. But then, if I had a massive stroke and had health insurance, I'd still be f***ed.

 

I believe that you're thinking here is that if you had a massive stroke you'd be f%#@ed health-wise. But what about financially?

.

.

In all this counting of the uninsured, what also needs to be considered is talk about the insured. Citizens who have good health insurance...who make the mistake of "having a massive stroke" or developing some other serious illness. You can recover from these events, and be stable and fine medically, but financially, under the present system, you're scroood.

.

.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/15/AR2009091503716.html?hpid=topnews

 

According to this article the 10 million young people without insurance would probably get screwed by paying disproportionately higher premiums to help dilute the cost of covering the old and the sick. So out of the 46 million, the 10 million illegals get no coverage, the 10 million who can afofrd insurance but don't want it get screwed by being strong armed into buying insurance and the 10 million healthy young ones without insurance get screwed by paying higher premiuns than what they would pay without this bill.

Adrenaline, your letter is fine. You took a position and argued it. I would have felt the same way if you went the other way. Some people here took your request as an invitation not to critique the advocacy piece but to make whatever partisan attacks were necessary. Obviously there is room for disagreement, but I dont think you were asking that.

Even though there are 47 million of our citizens who go uninsured because they either cannot afford the outrageous premiums or they are denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition

 

That's not true. Many people can afford to have insurance but choose not to have it. But my guess is your teacher will like that kind of BS so keep it in there and you'll get an A+.

 

http://www.ibdeditor...333232530356809

 

''Many people can afford to have insurance'' LOL... what BS! tell that to the 50 million people who dont have it, or the people who do have it but their coverage is in jeopardy, I know lots. You must live in palm beach

 

By the way Adrenaline, good write up, your a fine American.:thumbup

I don't have health insurance. I can afford it but elect not to. I suppose if I had a massive stroke I'd be f***ed. But then, if I had a massive stroke and had health insurance, I'd still be f***ed.

 

I believe that you're thinking here is that if you had a massive stroke you'd be f%#@ed health-wise. But what about financially?

.

.

In all this counting of the uninsured, what also needs to be considered is talk about the insured. Citizens who have good health insurance...who make the mistake of "having a massive stroke" or developing some other serious illness. You can recover from these events, and be stable and fine medically, but financially, under the present system, you're scroood.

.

.

 

I would still be f***ed financially, because I could not earn. When my credit is sh*t because I can't pay for my regular bills, what more impact would Hospital bills have, really? I suppose some kind of non-terminal cancer or something could let insurance be a pivotal thing. I can tell you that I can pay for a broken arm and new eyeglasses.

I don't have health insurance. I can afford it but elect not to. I suppose if I had a massive stroke I'd be f***ed. But then, if I had a massive stroke and had health insurance, I'd still be f***ed.

 

I believe that you're thinking here is that if you had a massive stroke you'd be f%#@ed health-wise. But what about financially?

.

.

In all this counting of the uninsured, what also needs to be considered is talk about the insured. Citizens who have good health insurance...who make the mistake of "having a massive stroke" or developing some other serious illness. You can recover from these events, and be stable and fine medically, but financially, under the present system, you're scroood.

.

.

 

I would still be f***ed financially, because I could not earn. When my credit is sh*t because I can't pay for my regular bills, what more impact would Hospital bills have, really? I suppose some kind of non-terminal cancer or something could let insurance be a pivotal thing. I can tell you that I can pay for a broken arm and new eyeglasses.

1. Many if not most cancers are treatable

2. Heart disease

3. Diabetes

4. HIV

5. Chronic back problem

6. Mental health disorder

7. Sleep disorder

8. Breathing disorder

I could go on and on, but the list of chronic disorders is lengthy. I know, I was struck by 1(not on this list) unexpectedly when I was healthy(I thought)in my 20's. It's effected my earning ability over the years, but not totally. Not anywhere near. Thankfully, because my out-of-pocket expense has averaged $15,000 per year for the last 20 years, and I had and still have full comprehensive health insurance. If I just had catastrophic insurance I would have been bankrupt and and covered by sub-par Medicaid type coverage years ago. I've managed to pay for good care via insurance, but it's cost me too much to just maintain a condition, I think.

.

The health care in the present system is fine. The health insurance system in this country is not good :thumbdown , and if you make the mistake of getting ill, then it's real bad :confused . Stay healthy. And in the meantime hope that a Medicare like single payer system comes to all, eventually...the sooner the better....., for all of us.

.

.

The problem that the left ignores is that there is a large portion of the people who don’t see the financial sense in paying for something that they don’t need. I am curious to know how many of those people not willing to pay $100 to $200 month have a cell phone, cable/satellite TV, and the internet. I easily pay over $200 a month for those and they are luxury items.

 

No, this is a complete straw man argument that the right-wing and others have been using for seemingly forever, with almost any issue. When the issue is welfare, people want to kill the entire program because maybe 1% of the people on welfare lie or exaggerate their claims. They don't care at all about the other 99%, most of whom are embarrassed to even be on welfare, but they do it because they have no other option at the present time. This worked in the 1980s as Reagan gutted the social safety net and handed over the proceeds to his buddies in the private industry.

 

So again, when the issue is healthcare, people are whining constantly about 'illegals' and 'cheaters' bilking the system for their own benefit. For whatever reason they obsess over this, even though the actual number of people doing illegal things is a very, very small number. That and the overall benefits of the program would be greater than any of the drawbacks of a few idiots doing stupid things. It just bothers the hell out of me that so many people freak out over insignificant things.

 

I mean, you have people on friggin Medicare protesting at these stupid rallies against 'socialism', many of whom don't even realize that Medicare is a government program. I can't tell you how many times I've seen signs that say 'Get the government out of my Medicare!'. It's really annoying.

So now the Obama administration is threatening insurance companies for informing their customers that they could potentially lose benefits under the proposed changes. How awesome is that?

The political right is represented by no one better than one E. Scrooge, who once said -

 

"If they are going to die, let them do it now, and decrease the surplus population."

 

God forbid anything is seriously wrong with you or any of your close family without insurance - that would add an interesting variation to your respective positions.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.