2010 World Cup Thread

mountainfish

Being that there is less than a year until the World Cup I thought we should have a separate thread from club soccer (at least for this year leading up to the WC). Qualifying has gotten down to crunch time and there are alot of stories. England (with one of it's best teams in a while) and Germany are in. Netherlands and Spain are in. Italy on the verge of being in. Brazil and Paraguay in with alot of teams jockeying for the 3rd,4th and 5th spots(5th gets playoff against CONCACAF 4th).

The most compelling story in my mind is Argentina's disastrous performance over the last few months. Their chances of qualifying are in peril and the bloom is off of the Maradona rose, at least as far as manager.

So with Portugal's weak showing and Argentina's poor play, we may be looking at a World Cup without the worlds two best players, in Ronaldo and Messi. ( and Sweden is looking like they'll miss out so no Ibra either)

My not too scientific prediction is that we'll see Spain, Germany and Brazil in the semifinals along with...wait for it... an African team. Of course it all depends on the draw etc. And no I don't think England will make the semifinals. While they have great talent , especially Gerrard and Lampard, I agree with the consenus of the English fans that they don't play well as a team. In spite of Fabio Capello, they are very disorganized in the back IMO, and in the World Cup that will cost you.

Only saw a bit of the 1st half but that sounded a dramatic finish in the Argentina match, who beat Peru 2-1, and maybe saved Maradona's job.

Arengtina isn't safe yet. They have a tough final match vs. Uruguay and there are two not so great results. Lose to Uruguay and go to the playoff or lose and Ecuador stels a win from Chile and they are staying home.

Only saw a bit of the 1st half but that sounded a dramatic finish in the Argentina match, who beat Peru 2-1, and maybe saved Maradona's job.

Arengtina isn't safe yet. They have a tough final match vs. Uruguay and there are two not so great results. Lose to Uruguay and go to the playoff or lose and Ecuador stels a win from Chile and they are staying home.

A world cup w/o Argentina, that's almost impossible to imagine.... I hope they make it.

im glad chile is in :)

I would like to see Ecuador make a second consecutive world cup and I would like to see CONCACAF get 4 teams again.

It would be nice but I can't see a fourth CONCACAF team getting past the 5th CONMEBOL team but you never know the way things have gone in South America so far.

I hope Argentina makes it but if they don't I would take pleasure in seeing Maradona humiliated. And I would love to see Uruguay win the next match.

And no I don't think England will make the semifinals. While they have great talent , especially Gerrard and Lampard, I agree with the consenus of the English fans that they don't play well as a team. In spite of Fabio Capello, they are very disorganized in the back IMO, and in the World Cup that will cost you.

Not only that, but they lack a #1 keeper -- David James? Robert Green? Paul Robinson? Ben Foster? None of the 4 are good enough. And a hot keeper can carry you in the world cup.

And no I don't think England will make the semifinals. While they have great talent , especially Gerrard and Lampard, I agree with the consenus of the English fans that they don't play well as a team. In spite of Fabio Capello, they are very disorganized in the back IMO, and in the World Cup that will cost you.

Not only that, but they lack a #1 keeper -- David James? Robert Green? Paul Robinson? Ben Foster? None of the 4 are good enough. And a hot keeper can carry you in the world cup.

Green is probably the best of that bunch just now but even he is still prone to some bad errors.

At the World Cup, and in fact any game they play, I support whoever England faces, be it Brazil, Germany, hell even North Korea if they meet next summer. They still go on and on and on down south about how great they are and they constantly mention how they have won the WC, despite it being over 40 years since then.

wayne rooney is my most hated player so obviously i hope that england loses in the most painful way possible preferably to the hands of one of the yugoslavian countries.

Wayne Rooney, Cashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, and the list goes on. The more painful the better.

I think besides the US I root for Australia and South Korea. While not the most talented teams, they are aggressive teams.

Wow - Chalie Davies was involved in a serious accident and is facing career threatening injuries.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/10/soccer-world-cup-united-states-davies-.html

Davis suffered a lacerated bladder, fractures to the tibia and femur bones in his right leg, facial fractures and a left elbow fracture in the 3:15 a.m. single-car accident near Washington, D.C., that claimed the life of another passenger and also injured the unidentified driver.

wayne rooney is my most hated player so obviously i hope that england loses in the most painful way possible preferably to the hands of one of the yugoslavian countries.

Wayne Rooney, Cashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, and the list goes on. The more painful the better.

I think besides the US I root for Australia and South Korea. While not the most talented teams, they are aggressive teams.

I don't mind Gerrard too much, but obviously you will hate him being an Everton fan. I will add to that list Rio Ferdinand who I really don't like. But top of the list of most hated players has to be Ashley, with my hate magnified by the fact he is married to one of the hottest chicks on the planet. And he cheated on her, and she took him back. Never understood why someone would cheat on their partner when they are as absolutely stunning as Cheryl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.