Pudge to Nationals

gizmo

The Nationals agreed to sign Ivan Rodriguez to a two-year deal worth $6MM, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown. The Rangers will obtain a supplementary rounder in next year's draft because Pudge signed elsewhere after they offered arbitration.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/nationals-to-sign-ivan-rodriguez.html

Anybody wanna remind who their catcher was last season? I honestly forgot.

The Nationals agreed to sign Ivan Rodriguez to a two-year deal worth $6MM, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown. The Rangers will obtain a supplementary rounder in next year's draft because Pudge signed elsewhere after they offered arbitration.

http://www.mlbtrader...-rodriguez.html

Anybody wanna remind who their catcher was last season? I honestly forgot.

Their real catcher? He got hurt last year, but it was Jesus Flores.

Is there another Ivan Rodriguez with the nickname "Pudge" that I don't know about? The one I know isn't worth anything near 2y/$6m deal at this point in his career. If this were any other team aside from the Nation's I'd shake my head.

Actually, the reason you should shake your head is because the Nationals made the move.

They just signed a 37 year old catcher to a 2 year deal for all that money to BACKUP. Jesus Flores is still very young, and he was pretty awesome last year before getting injured.

Talk about an expensive "mentor"...

Is there another Ivan Rodriguez with the nickname "Pudge" that I don't know about? The one I know isn't worth anything near 2y/$6m deal at this point in his career. If this were any other team aside from the Nation's I'd shake my head.

Dude Pudge is still a very servicable catcher...Maybe a shadow of his former self but he still outhits most catchers in the league although his OPS his dipped an incredible amount. He still can call a great game. No better mentor for a young catcher

Dude Pudge is still a very servicable catcher...Maybe a shadow of his former self but he still outhits most catchers in the league although his OPS his dipped an incredible amount. He still can call a great game. No better mentor for a young catcher

You don't give a 37 year old catcher 2 years/6MM to be a mentor. And you're really overrating the guy. Some would even argue that he doesn't even call a great game anymore.

Actually, the reason you should shake your head is because the Nationals made the move.

They just signed a 37 year old catcher to a 2 year deal for all that money to BACKUP. Jesus Flores is still very young, and he was pretty awesome last year before getting injured.

Talk about an expensive "mentor"...

Well the reason I said that is aside from scrubs who have no business in the majors to begin with the only way Washington is going to pull in anybody of interest is by vastly overpaying, looking back at deals they've made in the past kind of points to that. Pudge does have "some" value, but 2/$6 in my opinion is way above what that value is worth.

Look, I'm a firm believer in veteran presence and clubhouse chemistry and hall of fame mentors and such in certain situations but come on. His defense and arm is average at best these days, his offense is well below average production for his position, he's 37/38 years old in a physically demanding position. Calling a good game and tutoring and grooming a young player is fine, but that is only worth so much at the end of the day. You signed a catcher past the end of his career to a multi-year deal for $3m a year to essentially be a teacher and coach who will be an out 8/10 AB's, when you in reality you could have gotten a player that gives much more production for the same amount. Maybe the fact I've been a Marlin's fan since '93 has clouded my judgment a bit on this subject.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.