Gilbert Arenas pulls gun on teammate

BosnianBaller_

NEW YORK -- Washington Wizards teammates Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other during a Christmas Eve locker room argument over a gambling debt, according to The New York Post.

Last week, the Wizards and Arenas acknowledged that Arenas had stored unloaded firearms in a container in his locker, and the NBA said it was looking into the situation.

It was during that investigation that a confrontation between Arenas and Crittenton was revealed, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

The dispute stemmed from an unspecified disagreement, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Citing an anonymous source, the Post reported in Friday's edition, however, that the standoff was sparked when Crittenton became angry at Arenas for refusing to make good on a gambling debt.

That prompted Arenas to draw on Crittenton, who then also grabbed for a gun, league security sources told the Post.

Asked by the newspaper about the confrontation, Arenas denied pulling a gun on Crittenton.

"This is unprecedented in the history of sports," Billy Hunter, executive director of the NBA players' association, told the Post. "I've never heard of players pulling guns on each other in a locker room."

The Wizards issued a statement Dec. 24 that Arenas had stored unloaded firearms in a container in his locker at the arena and that the NBA was looking into the situation.

On Tuesday, Washington, D.C. police said they were investigating a report that weapons were found inside a locker room at the Verizon Center.

Now, the federal government is also involved. Ben Friedman, a spokesman for the US Attorney's Office in DC, told the Post "we're working with the Metropolitan Police Department on the investigation."

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4787825

He needs to be banned from the NBA if that's true.

I'm going to have to agree. Never seen something like this before. Incredibly stupid.

Apparently, he put the guns in his locker to keep it away from the kids at home.

Get a gun safe. Problem solved.

He needs to be banned from the NBA if that's true.

I'm going to have to agree. Never seen something like this before. Incredibly stupid.

Apparently, he put the guns in his locker to keep it away from the kids at home.

Get a gun safe. Problem solved.

but... but... that would be too easy of a solution!

I think a year's suspension for the both of them is in order...

In other words, what you're saying is that bringing a gun to an NBA game a threatening another player is no worse than what Artest did in the Pacers-Pistons brawl...

Hah... I believe what Artest did didnt deserve the suspension he got. I'd (and many of you probably) would have done the same thing.

You cant compare it to other suspensions. They certainly could've been too harsh or too leniant in the past. Think about the action commited. I think a years suspension does him justice and he probably would have enough time to realize his actions and hopefully not do it again.

I think a year's suspension for the both of them is in order...

In other words, what you're saying is that bringing a gun to an NBA game a threatening another player is no worse than what Artest did in the Pacers-Pistons brawl...

Hah... I believe what Artest did didnt deserve the suspension he got. I'd (and many of you probably) would have done the same thing.

You cant compare it to other suspensions. They certainly could've been too harsh or too leniant in the past. Think about the action commited. I think a years suspension does him justice and he probably would have enough time to realize his actions and hopefully not do it again.

I don't know whether or not the Artest suspension was justified, but since he did end up getting banned from the NBA for the rest of the year (73 games), the NBA's image would take a huge hit if Arenas got the same length. In the end, though, it might not even matter since Arenas could be serving a minimum five-year jail sentence for bringing the gun to the arena in the first place.

He's only like 27 or 28... and everyone knows in our really cool justice systems 5 years means like 2 years with parole.

Lol, so true.

The law also says that it isn't a five-year sentence though, but a minimum of five years. For all we know it could originally be set for longer than that, but thanks to our great legal system, I doubt he would get anything more than a few years because of his "celebrity status."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.