Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jeff Allison

Featured Replies

Possibly, but I think he could spend most of the season in Jacksonville if he has a good start in Jupiter. I really don't know what the Marlins have planned for him anymore though.

Possibly, but I think he could spend most of the season in Jacksonville if he has a good start in Jupiter. I really don't know what the Marlins have planned for him anymore though.

 

I'm assuming she means in Jupiter for Sprng Training with the big club.

Possibly, but I think he could spend most of the season in Jacksonville if he has a good start in Jupiter. I really don't know what the Marlins have planned for him anymore though.

 

I'm assuming she means in Jupiter for Sprng Training with the big club.

 

Yeah I misread that part. My bad. To answer the question, i don't know :thumbup:lol

I hate to say it but, I've almost given up on Allison.

 

He was supposed to be a can't miss prospect in 2003 after having a monster senior year in high school. As we all know, his drug habit did him in and his come back was been less than stellar.

 

To be fair, he was chosen to play in the Single A All-Star game last year and was promoted to Double A at the end of the season.

 

What worries me is that, he is 26 years old , and he is not frequently mentioned among the elite prospects.

I believe that in the next couple of years we'll find out if he will be able to stay clean and progress enough to become the major leaguer we all thought he could be.

Will Jeff Allison be in Jupiter this spring?

 

Yes. He'll be there when pitchers/catchers report and probably the first 1-2 weeks of camp before being shipped off to Jacksonville.

I hate to say it but, I've almost given up on Allison.

 

He was supposed to be a can't miss prospect in 2003 after having a monster senior year in high school. As we all know, his drug habit did him in and his come back was been less than stellar.

 

To be fair, he was chosen to play in the Single A All-Star game last year and was promoted to Double A at the end of the season.

 

What worries me is that, he is 26 years old , and he is not frequently mentioned among the elite prospects.

I believe that in the next couple of years we'll find out if he will be able to stay clean and progress enough to become the major leaguer we all thought he could be.

 

He was 24 last year so 2010 will be his 25 year old season. Still, your worries are the same based on that age and how far he has gotten.

 

He isn't an elite prospect anymore. He lost a ton off of his arm during his difficulties in 2006-2007. He's never going to be that ace pitcher the Marlins envisioned with a first round pick in 2003. What is likely to happen is, a best case scenario is he just keeps working, getting innings around the AA/AAA in whatever franchise, and maybe surface in the big leagues in 2-3 years ala Dan Meyer (another former top prospect who didn't have drug problems, but multiple arm blow outs). See if he can work his arm back to giving a strong 30+ pitches and not worry about stretching out to 100 pitches.

 

I'm rooting for the kid. It'll be a great moment for him if he ever makes the bigs. But as a Marlin? I can probably spout out 25 pitchers in a minute I'm more interested long term than him. They just have bigger arms at this point and offer more potential. I don't think Allison is a top 40 prospect in this organization right now.

I wonder what his minor league service time looks like right now.

 

I think he's at 3 years but he could be at 5 years, really I have no fn clue because tracking minor league service time is hard enough then add on his MIAs. But, if he's at 5 years, 2010 is our last year of control over him. If that's the case and he becomes a FA at the end of the year, I wouldn't be surprised (would actually hope they do it), if they have room on the 40 man roster, have him be a September call up as a hey, good job on getting this far back, than DFAing him at the end of the season.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.