2010 Olympics

The Marlin Man

No Olympics thread? Maybe if people are interested in any of the events they can post here.

I'm currently watching Team USA hockey lay a whoppin on the Swiss 3-0 after two periods. It would be pretty sweet if these young kids could somehow shock Russia or Canada (all but 3 on our squad is new to the Olympics this year).

USA ALL THE WAY!

Team USA beating Canada for the first time in 50 years. It may not be the Miracle on Ice, but it sure gets close! Definitely unfavored in that matchup. It's scary, because they really, really stand a chance at the gold here.

And I dont think I will ever, ever forget that final goal. It might have been an empty netter, but that was a moment made.

I've been watching the Olympics as a whole, I'll watch everything but ski jumping and figure skating, both which bore the hell out of me. Somehow I've managed to actually really like curling (even with both our skips being a couple of choke artists).

The men's hockey has been ridiculously good this year and Canada can indeed suck it.

I've been watching the Olympics as a whole, I'll watch everything but ski jumping and figure skating, both which bore the hell out of me. Somehow I've managed to actually really like curling (even with both our skips being a couple of choke artists).

The men's hockey has been ridiculously good this year and Canada can indeed suck it.

Not a big fan of curling for the simple fact that on multiple occasions, it has caused me and many others to miss about half the 1st period of a hockey game.

Team USA should feel really proud about the way the played against what is a decidedly more talented opponent. That goal to the tie game had me jumping and screaming in elation. Great game and it just didn't go our way. We'll get them back in 4 years!

I agree. It actually seems that I was one of the few watching the game who didn't feel crappy afterwards. Sure, it sucked, but I'm really proud of how well we did.

Team USA should feel really proud about the way the played against what is a decidedly more talented opponent. That goal to the tie game had me jumping and screaming in elation. Great game and it just didn't go our way. We'll get them back in 4 years!

I agree. It actually seems that I was one of the few watching the game who didn't feel crappy afterwards. Sure, it sucked, but I'm really proud of how well we did.

Right. Of course, it's always feel better to win but I wasn't sad at all. Just felt a lot of pride. Although, if we had won....I wonder if the Canadians would have changed their closing ceremony a bit, lol

I actually felt crappy, especially for Miller. It shouldn't have ended like that for him, he had a great tournament.

I wouldnt have felt crappy, had I thought the US didnt deserve gold. The US lost to a team who they beat out for their pool and beat earlier in tournament play. If you ask me, Im not a fan of the whole giving another chance to the other team. I think the IOC should expand the hockey into more teams and more pools but make it a winner advances style play.

And I was saying this before we beat Canada for the pool.

Team Canada might be easily the more talented team over any team in the tournament, but it doesnt make any sense that they can a: lose more games than the US, b: lose the original head to head against the US c: score less net goals than the US etc. etc. and still win it all. I propose quicker elimination. It's why I dont like the playoff format for the NBA or NHL. I used to, but I realize that it's stupid that a team in the bottom half of the league is eligible to make the playoffs, and most likely they lost more games than they won.

I was in elementary school when the Vikings lost their first Super Bowl. They lost 3 more shortly after that. I was crushed. After that,I decided that I wasn't going to get so "down" if a sports team lost...any game that I have no control over. I just "tip my hat" and acknowledge that the opponent was better that day. Most of the "experts", here in Minnesota, thought that we'd have to ride a hot Miller in goal to win. I think we exceeded most expectations by winning the silver.

I always feel bad for the athletes that get injured and have their injury affect their performances at the Games. There's no "next year". Some will be too old to qualify for Sochi. World Championship are great, but the Olympics are greater.

On to London 2012(July 27-August 12).

Ehh... what... Rafalski, Tim Thomas, and Langenbrunner are probably the only ones who are too old to qualify for Sochi. In which case, all of these players were extremely young and not near their prime. Plus, more US hockey players are coming. They are going to be just as good in Sochi, and more experiened. The perfect combination for a gold.

Ehh... what... Rafalski, Tim Thomas, and Langenbrunner are probably the only ones who are too old to qualify for Sochi. In which case, all of these players were extremely young and not near their prime. Plus, more US hockey players are coming. They are going to be just as good in Sochi, and more experiened. The perfect combination for a gold.

My bad, I was referring to all athletes...Winter and Summer Olympians...

• 3 weeks later...

The only reason Canada is so good at Hockey and Curling is because there's nothing else to do there.

If Curling was invented in Scotland, why didn't they have a team in the Olympics?

How can you not like Curling? Its so cerebral. And does anybody else get turned on when the female curlers yell "HARD! HARD! HARD!"?:lol

The only reason Canada is so good at Hockey and Curling is because there's nothing else to do there.

If Curling was invented in Scotland, why didn't they have a team in the Olympics?

How can you not like Curling? Its so cerebral. And does anybody else get turned on when the female curlers yell "HARD! HARD! HARD!"?

Because Scots are in the Great Britain Olympic team, and the women actually won the Gold medal in the 2002 Winter Games.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.