Tom Mastny

Mr. Teal

Via MLB Trade Rumors

The Marlins turned to Tom Mastny in their search for relievers, signing the former Indian out of the Atlantic League. Mastny, 29, posted a 6.13 ERA in 94 innings with Cleveland from 2006-08.

This is a minor league transaction, but I thought it was worth noting here, as we were all curious as to who they'd turn to.

This happened 3 weeks ago. He's already started 3 games.

He's organizational depth. But that's what was said about Hensley last year, so we'll see if he has anything in the tank.

I knew it was older news, but I didn't see it reported in the minor league forum. I thought about Hensley when I read the blurb, too.

He's organizational depth. But that's what was said about Hensley last year, so we'll see if he has anything in the tank.

Exactly. I've mentioned it a few times. He actually had a pretty good outing his last start. This is not a bad *pitcher signing* considering why they acquired him in the first place.

I think Hensley was more a matter of being genuinely overlooked. He had two years of major league effectiveness under his belt, unfortunately followed by two bad ones. Mastny's "best" year in the majors wasn't any good, he had a 4.68 ERA and his peripherals weren't any good.

I think Hensley was more a matter of being genuinely overlooked. He had two years of major league effectiveness under his belt, unfortunately followed by two bad ones. Mastny's "best" year in the majors wasn't any good, he had a 4.68 ERA and his peripherals weren't any good.

I don't know if that's exactly the case. Hensley, as well as Sanches, started throwing new off speed/changeup pitches pretty much as soon as they got on the Marlins which has really keyed their transformation into reliable bullpen arms. They weren't over looked before because they just stunk, and they'd admit it too. Credit the Marlins for seeing something in them where they could groom them with coaching to throw something different and create success when there was none before. That's why these signings (Mastny) are good. Costs nothing, guy has a MLB quality arm, why not see if you can tweak it and sneak out 30 innings out of the pen ala Doug Waecther, Lee Gardner, Justin Miller, and so on.

It's really amazing they can "fix" some of these guys that are by all accounts "average" quality MLB arms, but can't do anything with Andrew Miller.

I don't know if that's exactly the case. Hensley, as well as Sanches, started throwing new off speed/changeup pitches pretty much as soon as they got on the Marlins which has really keyed their transformation into reliable bullpen arms. They weren't over looked before because they just stunk, and they'd admit it too. Credit the Marlins for seeing something in them where they could groom them with coaching to throw something different and create success when there was none before. That's why these signings (Mastny) are good. Costs nothing, guy has a MLB quality arm, why not see if you can tweak it and sneak out 30 innings out of the pen ala Doug Waecther, Lee Gardner, Justin Miller, and so on.

It's really amazing they can "fix" some of these guys that are by all accounts "average" quality MLB arms, but can't do anything with Andrew Miller.

In Hensley's first season in MLB he had a 1.47 ERA in 47 innings. His second he had a 3.71 ERA in 187 innings, 29 starts. His two years after that definitely stunk, no doubt about it, and maybe Hensley didn't want to think about the fact that he was pretty good at one point, but there's no way anyone could say his first two years stunk. Clearly things weren't going right in his last two years in SD, but he had talent to begin with and the Marlins helped to bring that out. Also, it seems like adding the offspeed has had a major effect, as he has never missed this many bats, even during his good early seasons.

As for Miller, as far as I can see the biggest problem with him is that his velocity disappeared, and there's a big difference between throwing 95-100 (from the left side no less) and 85-90, and that pretty much started a cascade effect. There's confidence and command issues at work, but when the book on him is written by scouts I'm sure that the velocity thing is going to be noted as the prime reason. It's a story that has been much repeated throughout the history of pitching prospects. Honestly, I think that book is written with Andrew already, and while theoretically they could help his command and confidence, there's no combination of old and new mechanics that can return velocity that's been lost. Without that, Andrew Miller will never be the pitcher he could have been, even if he somehow becomes decent.

In Hensley's first season in MLB he had a 1.47 ERA in 47 innings. His second he had a 3.71 ERA in 187 innings, 29 starts. His two years after that definitely stunk, no doubt about it, and maybe Hensley didn't want to think about the fact that he was pretty good at one point, but there's no way anyone could say his first two years stunk. Clearly things weren't going right in his last two years in SD, but he had talent to begin with and the Marlins helped to bring that out. Also, it seems like adding the offspeed has had a major effect, as he has never missed this many bats, even during his good early seasons.

As for Miller, as far as I can see the biggest problem with him is that his velocity disappeared, and there's a big difference between throwing 95-100 (from the left side no less) and 85-90, and that pretty much started a cascade effect. There's confidence and command issues at work, but when the book on him is written by scouts I'm sure that the velocity thing is going to be noted as the prime reason. It's a story that has been much repeated throughout the history of pitching prospects. Honestly, I think that book is written with Andrew already, and while theoretically they could help his command and confidence, there's no combination of old and new mechanics that can return velocity that's been lost. Without that, Andrew Miller will never be the pitcher he could have been, even if he somehow becomes decent.

Very true Spud it all comes down to his heater...He lost close to 10 MPH on it, that will screw any pitcher up. He is a product of overcoaching. Who knows he may wake up tomorrow and start throwing 100mph, I wouldn't close the book on him just yet however the fat lady is reaching for the mic

I would loan him out to Japan for a year myself or hire a Cerrano to do a voodoo spell on him...Sooo much talent wasted Dammit

Very true Spud it all comes down to his heater...He lost close to 10 MPH on it, that will screw any pitcher up. He is a product of overcoaching. Who knows he may wake up tomorrow and start throwing 100mph, I wouldn't close the book on him just yet however the fat lady is reaching for the mic

I would loan him out to Japan for a year myself or hire a Cerrano to do a voodoo spell on him...Sooo much talent wasted Dammit

I don't really think he lost the heater due to overcoaching, though some of his other problems were agitated by it. If you ever read John Sickle's blog at minorleagueball.com , these things happen in young pitchers for unexplainable reasons. It makes me wonder if Detroit knew that Miller's velocity was slipping before they traded him, though Cabrera was worth it regardless.

i really like what MarlinsLou said.. if he can turn into a Lee Gardner, Justin Miller type of arm and give us those 30+ innings I am really happy with that.

Marlins have done a very nice job with Sanches and Hensley is just plain nasty now. Also u can see that difference in Leo Nunez. That changeup is disgusting!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.