June 24, 201016 yr So next week my highschool's baseball team is starting a new cross fit training to get in top shape and well conditioned for next season which includes 4, 1 to 2 hour workouts a week which include a lot continuous lifts, exercise and running for the period of workout and limited breaks. We were all recommended to try a low carb diet along with these workouts for the rest of the summer because a low carb diet involves more fats and proteins giving more energy and better muscle recovery to endure the workouts. The real problem is how do I cut and replace such meals like rice, breads, pasta, some cereals and what do I replace them with. I know this won't be too bad because meat is highly recommended along with eggs, mainly hard boiled and low oil omelets but that's fine with me, but I found that most of my daily food intake is carbs like bread and pasta and I basically eat rice for one meal a day. Can someone please give me any tips or help from previous experiences on what I can do to make this diet work and replace those foods like breads with something else besides salads and vegetables because those will eventually get boring after having the same thing everyday including snacks, I've heard granola is good and I've been loving apples, bananas and strawberry's for the past week. Also a healthy replacement for juices other then water which I've been drinking to replace juices and soda for about 3 months now. All help is highly appreciated.
June 24, 201016 yr Protein shakes and chicken. Try to stay away from carbs early in the morning. Something like this is what i do or at least i should do. Breakfast- PRotein shake Lunch- chicken Diner- chicken or lean cut steak. Try to stay away from beef because it has a lot of fat in it often times.
June 24, 201016 yr I think that's a dumb diet to combine with such intense workouts, but whatever. Nuts are always a winner. Tuna fish works well, too. You can even by that chicken breast in a can so you don't have to cook every time you want chicken. I get the Swanson brand. And for breakfast, Banquet makes really really good turkey sausage. Pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds, flip them and cook for another 30 and you're good to go. Or you can cook it for twice the time on a lower power setting and they'll taste even better. I like to eat them with some salsa on the side.
June 25, 201016 yr I think that's a dumb diet to combine with such intense workouts, but whatever. Nuts are always a winner. Tuna fish works well, too. You can even by that chicken breast in a can so you don't have to cook every time you want chicken. I get the Swanson brand. And for breakfast, Banquet makes really really good turkey sausage. Pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds, flip them and cook for another 30 and you're good to go. Or you can cook it for twice the time on a lower power setting and they'll taste even better. I like to eat them with some salsa on the side. That's what she said.
June 25, 201016 yr So next week my highschool's baseball team is starting a new cross fit training to get in top shape and well conditioned for next season which includes 4, 1 to 2 hour workouts a week which include a lot continuous lifts, exercise and running for the period of workout and limited breaks. We were all recommended to try a low carb diet along with these workouts for the rest of the summer because a low carb diet involves more fats and proteins giving more energy and better muscle recovery to endure the workouts. The real problem is how do I cut and replace such meals like rice, breads, pasta, some cereals and what do I replace them with. I know this won't be too bad because meat is highly recommended along with eggs, mainly hard boiled and low oil omelets but that's fine with me, but I found that most of my daily food intake is carbs like bread and pasta and I basically eat rice for one meal a day. Can someone please give me any tips or help from previous experiences on what I can do to make this diet work and replace those foods like breads with something else besides salads and vegetables because those will eventually get boring after having the same thing everyday including snacks, I've heard granola is good and I've been loving apples, bananas and strawberry's for the past week. Also a healthy replacement for juices other then water which I've been drinking to replace juices and soda for about 3 months now. All help is highly appreciated. Of course you do, you're Hispanic. That's all I've got, I have no positive input though I do believe Mystikol is right when he says that a low carb diet is a bad idea with such a workout as it will rob you of energy (and possibly muscle size).
June 25, 201016 yr So next week my highschool's baseball team is starting a new cross fit training to get in top shape and well conditioned for next season which includes 4, 1 to 2 hour workouts a week which include a lot continuous lifts, exercise and running for the period of workout and limited breaks. We were all recommended to try a low carb diet along with these workouts for the rest of the summer because a low carb diet involves more fats and proteins giving more energy and better muscle recovery to endure the workouts. The real problem is how do I cut and replace such meals like rice, breads, pasta, some cereals and what do I replace them with. I know this won't be too bad because meat is highly recommended along with eggs, mainly hard boiled and low oil omelets but that's fine with me, but I found that most of my daily food intake is carbs like bread and pasta and I basically eat rice for one meal a day. Can someone please give me any tips or help from previous experiences on what I can do to make this diet work and replace those foods like breads with something else besides salads and vegetables because those will eventually get boring after having the same thing everyday including snacks, I've heard granola is good and I've been loving apples, bananas and strawberry's for the past week. Also a healthy replacement for juices other then water which I've been drinking to replace juices and soda for about 3 months now. All help is highly appreciated. Of course you do, you're Hispanic. That's all I've got, I have no positive input though I do believe Mystikol is right when he says that a low carb diet is a bad idea with such a workout as it will rob you of energy (and possibly muscle size). As far as I'm concerned, if you're putting in intense workouts, just eat a balanced healthy diet, and you'll lose weight and gain muscle. I don't see any reason to go crazy.
June 26, 201016 yr Fiber. complex carbs. protein and more fiber-and dont forget to drink water. Isn't brown rice a complex carb along with oatmeal? Any way I don't get why they recommend a low carb diet if your going to be doing intense work outs. From what Ive read you use carbs when you do intense things like weight lifting and sprinting. Plus you guys are in high school and most of you probably have a metabolism that is racing and needs nutrients. Don't marathon runners carb load before the race? As for other things besides water I don't know what to say other than learn to love it. I'm sure you know all the benefits of drinking it but you might want to try those crystal light things if you're looking for variety, they're pretty good.
June 26, 201016 yr Author Yeah brown rice is acceptable once or twice a week. My coach actually gave us a nice list of things we could eat for snacks and it's not that bad to be honest. Jell-o, Cheese Sticks, Watermelon, Sugar free pop sickles, peanuts, sun flowerseeds, hard boiled eggs and a few more good treats. My body has felt different the past 4 days since I started but I've been fine working out and I even lifted a little more then I usually do. I'm hoping for the best in the end.
July 10, 201016 yr Considering my knowledge when it comes to dieting, probably the best thing you can try is Carb cycling. Here's a website that will help you out on that: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_carb_cycling_codex however, if you want to follow a low carb diet, i suggest that you calculate the amount of calories needed to maintain your body weight, and subtract it by 20%, then following the macronutrients of 50% protein/ 30% carbs/ 20% fats. I have to disagree about staying away from carbs early in the morning due to the fact that your body requires an ample amount of carbohydrates along with protein once on wakes up, going on proteins alone won't fully block the catabolic state your body is in during sleep. It is also recommended that you consume 6 meals a day, and consume your main carbs (whole wheat, oatmeal, brown rice, etc) in the morning, post workout, and your meal 60-90mins post workout (note: don't consider vegetables carbs, they are very important!) Hopes this helps, man, and if you have any questions, PM me and i'll get into more detail about any of your concerns.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.