Manny Ramirez retires

gizmo

Yeah most guys dont go poppin fertility drugs unless there sticking themselves with PEDS. Never really been a Manny fan for one reason or another. What a black spot on the record to go out because of a positive test. Sucks to be the Rays. I dont know if there was a clear answer but do the Ray have to honor the contract?

Yeah most guys dont go poppin fertility drugs unless there sticking themselves with PEDS. Never really been a Manny fan for one reason or another. What a black spot on the record to go out because of a positive test. Sucks to be the Rays. I dont know if there was a clear answer but do the Ray have to honor the contract?

Only for the time he played.

Enjoyed Rich Waltz' mini Manny rant on Sunday

"What's your favorite Manny moment? Mine is when he failed a drug test for a female hormone drug" :lol

Haha, it's so true though. No way Manny gets into the Hall of Fame if guys like Bonds and McGwire don't get in. They were on steroids. Just because Manny is more of a "character" doesn't make taking steroids OK.

I find it really funny when supposed "baseball insiders" express such vehement anger towards steroid users. We have to accept their "expertise" based on their insider status ("I know the clubhouse, I know the guys, I know how this stuff operates, etc.".)

Well, if that's so, how'd you manage to miss the rampant drug use for at least a decade in major league baseball?

The truth is, they probably knew all about it, these reporters with their daily club house access. They kept their mouths shut just like everyone else.

Which would be fine, if so many of these people weren't the loudest in criticizing users.

Either you are an expert based on your insider access, but a completely useless one since you are beholden to the players and clubs and keep things from your readers, or you are a fraud and have earned no claims to expertise.

So what do they do? They have to act like they are the angriest about it; they are the ones who were betrayed the most by the player's moral failings.

"I'm even angrier than you! They lied to me!"

It's a big f***ing show, and frankly, I don't care for it. f*** em.

Accept the era for what it was, just like we all implicitly accept that various forms of cheating, from scuffing balls to fixing games have been going on since there's been money to be made off the games.

If Manny Ramirez doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, it should be because his failings as a defender are so massive that they knock his career production down many, many pegs, or some other legitimate argument based on his abilities as a player. That he happened to be one of a handful of players who was actually caught using shouldn't be one, in my opinion.

Of course, MLB and the people who's livelihood's depend on it's continued success would like us all to believe that we've got an exhaustive and definitive list of steroids users, and we'll hang them up and feel good about ourselves because justice was served and that's it. Because that's the convenient version of history. But it gives us just as tainted image of the era as those who were caught do. Admitting that the accomplishments of a few in the era are tainted while trying to argue that everyone else isn't is wrong. Because of the league and owner's unspoken complicity with their use, steroids were, for better or worse, a part of the era. Manny, Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, et al are not the exceptions. They were just the best, and subsequently, easiest to trip up.

Well, except for Manny. He's an idiot. But he's also a hall of famer. Short of someone showing me precisely how much of his success was derived from steroid use, I'll believe that.