Repairs will delay completion...

Fish4Life

Repairing concrete cracks will delay completion of garages at Marlins’ Little Havana ballpark

Officials are confident that with nine months to go, Opening Day won’t be jeopardized by the hundreds of cracks found in support beams in the garages at the former Orange Bowl site.

BY CHARLES RABIN

CRABIN@MIAMIHERALD.COM

Hundreds of hairline cracks have appeared on support beams along exterior walls of Miami’s four parking garages at the new Little Havana ballpark for the Marlins.

Officials say the cracks will be repaired in time for the garages to be in use for the team’s season opener in April 2012.

The two-foot cracks have been found on the inside of the outer walls of the structures, and developed because the support beams there are tied into the exterior walls on only one of their two sides.

“They miscalculated some of the load,� Robert Fenton, the city’s project manager, said Friday.

Fenton was referring to the Leo A Daly Co., the Omaha, Neb.-based international architecture firm that the city hired to design the five- and six-story structures that will provide two million square feet for 5,000 cars and a host of retailers.

Alice Bravo, Miami’s director of capital improvements, said Leo A Daly has “accepted responsibility� for the error and has agreed to cover the repair cost, which could amount to $1 million.

Abdel Martel, Daly’s vice president and director of operations, agreed Friday his firm was responsible for the repairs, but said the design work at issue had been carried out by a subcontractor.

The city is paying about $75 million to build the garages.

The cracks were discovered in March by a building inspector hired by the city. Officials of the city and the design firm have spent the past three months evaluating the problem. Fenton estimated the repairs will take a team of 8 to 10 workers from four to six weeks for each building, which will delay completion of the garages until December, further tightening an ever-shrinking construction window.

The city is contractually obligated to have the garages in place a month before play begins next April at the shiny, glass-encased new stadium at the former Orange Bowl site. Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado said Thursday the cracks “won’t threaten opening day.�

“We have no concerns whatsoever,� Marlins spokesman P.J. Loyello said Friday.

Fixing the cracks will require boring into the concrete, inserting new steel rebar rods, and pouring more concrete into the holes for added support. The fix also requires a square block of concrete that will extend a few inches from where the cracks are on the exterior walls.

Bravo and Fenton say the cracks pose no danger, and the concern is that water may seep into them and, in time, soften the concrete, eventually shortening the lifespan of the garages from their expected 50 to 75 years.

John Pistorino, of Pistorino & Alem Consulting Engineers, said that without seeing the plans or the cracks, it was difficult for him to comment on the problem. But it appears, he said, the city is trying to protect the structure from a long-term problem known as spalling, which occurs when water creeps in and causes the rebar to rust and expand, further cracking the concrete and destabilizing it. Spalling usually doesn’t occur for many years.

“It’s a pretty common concern in the industry,� said Pistorino, whose firm is now building a Metrorail extension near Miami International Airport. “It takes some time for that to happen, though. They’re trying to avoid it.�

Fenton, the city’s project manager, said spalling is commonly seen on eroding balconies on Miami Beach condos, where the salt also eats away at the structure. “It’s not an immediate concern. But if we’re not to address the cracks, that’s where the lifespan [of the garages] comes into play.�

Building $75 million worth of parking facilities is part of Miami’s contribution to the $615 million, 37,000-seat, retractable-roof complex. The city will put another $25 million into construction and utility repairs. The ballpark is being built with a combination of $359 million in tourist taxes and bond money from Miami-Dade County, and $155 million from Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, who will borrow $35 million of that from the county.

The county will own the stadium. The Marlins’ roughly $2 million a year lease payments will be applied against its debt to the county.

The Marlins — who have already lost 20 games this month heading into Friday night’s game in Seattle, and chronically struggle to attract fans — say they need the new facility to remain viable. However, leaked private financial statements show the team has been the most profitable in baseball the past few years.

This is common and its going to delay the completion of the garages by a little bit. No big deal especially since this has been the only setback.

Yep. Dosen't sound like a big deal at all. Actually, they could be used during the repairs. The thing is that the city won't sign off on the completion of them until the repairs are made.

Alice Bravo, Miami’s director of capital improvements, said Leo A Daly has “accepted responsibility� for the error and has agreed to cover the repair cost, which could amount to $1 million. Abdel Martel, Daly’s vice president and director of operations, agreed Friday his firm was responsible for the repairs, but said the design work at issue had been carried out by a subcontractor. The city is paying about $75 million to build the garages.

At around 4%, the fees to the architect would be in the range of $3 million. The subcontractor is without a doubt a structural engineering firm. Sounds like they just wound up doing their work for free, as it's unlikely that their fees were more than a million.

Oops.

The Marlins — who have already lost 20 games this month heading into Friday night’s game in Seattle, and chronically struggle to attract fans — say they need the new facility to remain viable. However, leaked private financial statements show the team has been the most profitable in baseball the past few years.

Forgive me for pointing this out but that in the blue hell does this last sentence have to do with anything about these repairs? Why must the media always bring this fallacy up? This isn't the time to get into it but even if the Marlins were proven to be making a profit as of late, none of that means that they wouldn't need the new stadium to "remain viable." In layman's terms... if the Marlins continue to have to pay an absurd amount of rent to the Dolphins and Sun Life Stadium, it doesn't matter how much profit they're making because that profit will constantly have to go towards paying the rent. Is Loria making a profit with the Marlins? Considering their low payroll, he likely is. BUT, the rent he has to pay to the Dolphins is an EXPENSE that he has to pay. Someone with a high income can't enjoy that high income if they have high expenses to pay. I don't get why the media can't see this, or why they choose not to.

I don't get why the media can't see this, or why they choose not to.

Well, without getting into the details of why this particular a$$hole totally misstates the basic financial facts, let's just say that it's because the media are total financial illiterates on top of being flaming liberal a$$holes in general.

It's a knee-jerk thing. Like Pavlov's dogs, they just can't resist taking a shot at Loria or the Marlins. Attendance? Fire sale? Gawd forbid, a team making an actual profit on their investment? Let 'er rip. Loria must be utter and total evil incarnate. He's a capitalist. He's a businessman. Oh, the horror.

And so it goes. 50 years ago, sports writers wrote about sport and left their personal biases and political agendas out of it.

Not any more. Thus the constant flow of dreck and cheap-shots.

Well, without getting into the details of why this particular a$$hole totally misstates the basic financial facts, let's just say that it's because the media are total financial illiterates on top of being flaming liberal a$$holes in general.

It's a knee-jerk thing. Like Pavlov's dogs, they just can't resist taking a shot at Loria or the Marlins. Attendance? Fire sale? Gawd forbid, a team making an actual profit on their investment? Let 'er rip. Loria must be utter and total evil incarnate. He's a capitalist. He's a businessman. Oh, the horror.

And so it goes. 50 years ago, sports writers wrote about sport and left their personal biases and political agendas out of it.

Thanks for this. Good read. I get as fed up with Loria as anybody. I want him to open the checkbook and buy a team that can win for years to come. There's nothing stated hee that isn't true though.

Thanks for this. Good read. I get as fed up with Loria as anybody. I want him to open the checkbook and buy a team that can win for years to come. There's nothing stated hee that isn't true though.

Yes but he can't open the checkbook and spend his money if he isn't sure the fans will come out and support his investment. See Exhibit A: Carlos Delgado, 2005.

So then he did what he had to do and lowered the payroll to match the income that the fickle South Florida fans are providing him. Loria's mindset is, if you guys don't come to the ballpark, I don't have the money to spend on high priced players. Say what you will about Loria, and I myself don't trust him with my own kids, but he has a bit of a point there. If Loria had a fanbase that supported this team consistently, he could easily spend more money.

Thus, the point of the stadium is to provide Loria with essentially 100% of the profits from the fans that do show up, even if we have a lower than average attendance. This would then allow him to raise payroll. With Sun Life Stadium, he gets very little profit from the fans and then whatever he earns he has to pay back as rent to this dump of a stadium as it is.

Btw, I'm not really ranting to anyone on here in particular, just kinda rewording what the media doesn't seem to realize.

Official: Cracks In Marlins Ballpark Garages Won't Delay Opening

Hairline Cracks Noticed In New Stadium's Parking Garages

by Neki Mohan

MIAMI -- The Marlins' new multimillion-dollar state-of-the-art stadium, with its retractable roof and fancy skyboxes, will be ready well in time for Opening Day, officials say, but questions are being raised about its parking after cracks were discovered.

The city of Miami says it is on schedule with its four parking garages, but a few months ago, city inspectors noticed a few cracks in some of their support beans, and later, more were found.

"There are structural columns and beams on every floor, and the connection between that structural column and beam is exhibiting hairline cracks," said Albert Sosa, director of capital improvements.

The cracks are causing concern because they are occurring without cars even being parked in the garage. Engineers say hairline cracks can become bigger later, as the South Florida weather and drivers begin wearing in the new garages.

Workers plan to first put a concrete curb along the outer walls and then install brackets on support columns.

The city is spending $75 million to build the four multistory garages, and officials say the setback will not cost them a penny more because the construction company will eat the cost.

The director of capital improvements says the extra work will be done in time for the first game on Opening Day 2012.

"We do not anticipate a delay to Opening Day of the stadium," said Sosa.

http://www.local10.com/sports/28374289/detail.html

I will be parking on someone's lawn anyway. Parking garages are notorious for being a pain to get out of and I have always enjoyed contact with the people in the neighborhood.

Until they rotate your tires... from your car to theirs.

20 dollars to park in my yard, no thanks i only did that for the Outback bowl and it was well worth I plan on going to more than 1 game at the new stadium, I can handle traffic.

I will be parking on someone's lawn anyway. Parking garages are notorious for being a pain to get out of and I have always enjoyed contact with the people in the neighborhood.

Until they rotate your tires... from your car to theirs.

20 dollars to park in my yard, no thanks i only did that for the Outback bowl and it was well worth I plan on going to more than 1 game at the new stadium, I can handle traffic.

Anyone know what the fees will be to park in the garages? May not be less than $15-20.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.