Andy Pettitte returns

Guest Guest

• 1 month later...

Ready to return.

Andy Pettitte deemed himself ready Sunday to return to the Yankees' rotation.

"I'm going to let them let everybody know what we've got going on," Pettitte said. "I feel like I'm ready, and I think they're ready for me to come up." Pettitte struggled Sunday, giving up five runs -- three earned -- on eight hits and two walks over five innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He did post a 3.71 ERA and 14/3 K/BB ratio over 17 innings in his three minor league outings. One cause for concern is that Pettitte's outings have looked progressively worse. Manager Joe Girardi said he'll speak with GM Brian Cashman about a plan for Pettitte. We think the veteran left-hander will be added to the roster later this week.

Starting Sunday.

Andy Pettitte will be called up to start for the Yankees on Sunday against the Mariners.

Pettitte has struggled in his last two minor league tuneups, so there was some question about whether he needed more time, but the Yankees apparently think he's ready to join the starting rotation. We wouldn't get carried away in shallow mixed formats, but the 39-year-old southpaw should be owned in deeper formats and AL-only leagues, especially with the tasty first matchup.

Funny story...as the official scorer for the Batavia Muckdogs, I was asked to do the SWB Yankees games when they played their games in Batavia this year. And Pettitte was scheduled to pitch there Sunday before they moved the game to Rochester to attract more fans. So I was very close to being able to do the official scoring for a Pettitte game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.